premium Dog food = Diarrhea ???

Postby javjersey » May 21st, 2009, 3:28 pm

Soooo.. For those of you that have read some of my posts know Ive made a lot of talk about diet, semi-raw feeding, lol, and premium dog food. Well yesterday I FINALLY got a bag of premium dog food ( http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 1605&cat=8 )
Innova EVO Red Meat (Small bites) and it went great! I DID NOT get a chance of blending it in with the previous dog food :stuck: because I completely ran out in the morning, so I went out at lunch time and got a bag since a store by my job sells the premium stuff. I got home and fed it to them for dinner and then again this morning. NOW I got a txt saying that Brooklyn dookied ALL UP IN HIS CRATE!! :| My fiance is like "its the most vile and disgusting sh1t I have ever seen and I've seen a lot of it" :puke: lol (she has had dogs and has kids). So now my Brooklyn has an upset stomach :poop: and shes telling me that I cannot feed that to him again, :dogRun: Not if thats whats giving him an upset stomach, obviously it is. Im saying yes I can, I just have to ease it in gradually w/ some rice. Like 2night 90/10, 2morrow morning 80/20, night 60/40, next day 50/50 and so on. Any suggestions as to whos right, lol. I studied and have been determined to get them in as best a diet as I can manage but now that I have it I cant :-( ????? :band:

btw Billy the pug is fine :-D
Our dogs will love and admire the meanest of us, and feed our colossal vanity with their uncritical homage. ~Agnes Repplier

"Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend." ~Corey Ford
javjersey
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » May 21st, 2009, 3:53 pm

Evo is super-rich so yeah, you need to slowly transfer them over. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Mickle » May 21st, 2009, 6:21 pm

I would ease him in even slower...2-3 days 25%evo 75%old food 2-3 days 50/50 2-3 days 75/25 and then go all the way. If you notice soft stools just add a little bit more of the old food back in until he can handle it.
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby BritneyP » May 21st, 2009, 7:42 pm

Yes, as others have said, Evo is very, very rich & you could easily take 2-3 weeks to transition your dog over. Hopefully the blowout doesn't have long terms effects, sometimes it's difficult for them to get back to normal right away after that.
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby blabsforbullies » May 21st, 2009, 7:44 pm

Any food, if not properly weaned on to, can give a dog diarrhea. :wink: EVO is a rich and high protein food, so you are more likely to have that issue with it.

I might suggest adding some rice or boiled chicken by itself or with the old food for the next few days to calm the stomach. Then try slowing switching the food to EVO. I tell my clients to do 75% old/25% new for 3-5 days, then 50/50 for another 5 days, then 25% old/75% new for 3-5 days. :)

Good luck and I hope Brooklyn is feeling better soon! :dance:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby amazincc » May 22nd, 2009, 12:07 am

javjersey wrote:Innova EVO Red Meat (Small bites)...

I had Sepp on their puppy food, and it was constant diarrhea... :rolleyes2:
I finally switched him to RAW, and the occasional bowl of Orijen... problem solved. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby javjersey » May 22nd, 2009, 9:30 am

Thank you guys. He isnt doing any better, lol.. Last night I gave him about 80/20 with rice and this morning I just fed them all rice. As I will tonight. I will also buy a small bag of what they were on before and I will go slower with the transition, like some of you said, 3-5 days for each change. I feel terrible about it hopefully theyll be better soon. I really hope they can transition or else I have to shove this food where it doesnt shine and well try again with Orijen :(
Thank you guys for your great feedback. :dance:
Our dogs will love and admire the meanest of us, and feed our colossal vanity with their uncritical homage. ~Agnes Repplier

"Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend." ~Corey Ford
javjersey
Just Whelped

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies