Dr. Blabs!!! Techs!!! Meloxicam/Mobic

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby cheekymunkee » May 7th, 2009, 11:25 pm

I have RA & my doctor prescribes this for me. Without it I can barely move. 1 pill makes a world of difference for me. It is a $4 prescription at Walmart. It is an NSAID. I am wondering if dogs can take it. I know some of the arthritis meds given to dogs can be quite expensive, as cheap as this is I think it would be an answer for some owners who struggle with the expense of meds for their dogs. Does any one know if this is an acceptable drug for dogs to take?
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby BullyLady » May 7th, 2009, 11:29 pm

Isn't that the same as the NSAID called Metacam for dogs? I believe it is.....

Oh, yup!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meloxicam

Answered my own question.... :giggle:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby cheekymunkee » May 7th, 2009, 11:39 pm

Cool! For me it is a wonder drug. I can tell by the way my knee & spine feel if I forget to take it. Of course my RA & AS isnt all that bad so I dont know if it would work for very arthritic dogs. But it works for THIS one. 8)

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Hoyden » May 8th, 2009, 12:16 am

Hmmmm, I might have to look into that for myself.

I miss my Vioxx something fierce. I've been taking plain ole Aleve because Ultram makes my puke my guts out.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby cheekymunkee » May 8th, 2009, 12:20 am

Hoyden wrote:Hmmmm, I might have to look into that for myself.

I miss my Vioxx something fierce. I've been taking plain ole Aleve because Ultram makes my puke my guts out.

I love it, especially the price. My doctor said it's not that great on the heart either but none of the RA meds are.But it is not as bad as Vioxx and it's an old drug. It does have some stomach issue warnings also but it has never bothered me. It does make food taste like warmed over crap until you get used to it though. I hope it helps you.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Hoyden » May 8th, 2009, 12:46 am

cheekymunkee wrote:
Hoyden wrote:Hmmmm, I might have to look into that for myself.

I love it, especially the price. My doctor said it's not that great on the heart either but none of the RA meds are.But it is not as bad as Vioxx and it's an old drug. It does have some stomach issue warnings also but it has never bothered me. It does make food taste like warmed over crap until you get used to it though. I hope it helps you.

Thanks.

I have an appointment next week to go over my recent blood work, so I'll ask my doctor about it. I don't need to take it every day, just when the Sjogren's flairs up and picks a couple of joints to attack.

I have NO sense of smell, so food tastes weird anyway, I doubt it can make it worse.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby pocketpit » May 8th, 2009, 9:01 am

Just an FYI for anyone who has a script at home for human Meloxicam, it is NOT the same strength as the dog variety and therefore should not be used on pets.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » May 8th, 2009, 1:43 pm

pocketpit wrote:Just an FYI for anyone who has a script at home for human Meloxicam, it is NOT the same strength as the dog variety and therefore should not be used on pets.

Good post! Thanks!

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Malli » May 8th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Yes Metacam/Meloxicam/Mobicox can be used in dogs HOWEVER

It is INSANELY easy to overdose a dog on NSAIDS, particularly with human strength perscriptions(wich will cause Kidney issues, either short term and possibly permanent).

It also has a substantial effect on the Kidneys as well as the GI tract and therefore if you are considering Metacam long term with your dog then -especially since dogs with arthritis have AGED Kidneys- you and your Vet should also consider frequent bloodwork to monitor the Kidneys, and/or Gastrointestinal protectants.

I have some of a prescription of Mobicox for Oscar, it is very affordable, and something we may need to consider in the future.

I'll include my usual disclaimer about NOT combining any NSAID with steroids such as Prednisone and Dexamethasone, wich can also be used short term for Allergic reactions.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby cheekymunkee » May 8th, 2009, 5:21 pm

I hope no one is thinking I would suggest using a human 'script for their dogs. Or that I was considering it. My dogs dont suffer from joint issues. I was just thinking that maybe people who DO have dogs with issues could speak to their vet about it

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » May 8th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Malli wrote:It also has a substantial effect on the Kidneys as well as the GI tract and therefore if you are considering Metacam long term with your dog then -especially since dogs with arthritis have AGED Kidneys- you and your Vet should also consider frequent bloodwork to monitor the Kidneys, and/or Gastrointestinal protectants.

Katy has been on Metacam for probably three years now and we monitor her bloodwork pretty closely. So far, so good -- no significant changes. Without the Metacam, she wouldn't be able to walk.

I'll include my usual disclaimer about NOT combining any NSAID with steroids such as Prednisone and Dexamethasone, wich can also be used short term for Allergic reactions.

Because Indy is on Dex and has been for quite some time due to his cancer, the onco vets and the techs frequently remind me of this -- that is why we ended up using tramadol for his pain relief, rather than the Metacam that I had handy in the house.

Once he's weaned off the Dex (can't stop steriod use without tapering off of it slowly), we were told he needs at the LEAST a week free of steroids before we can start him on NSAIDS, if he still needs pain relief.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » May 8th, 2009, 9:24 pm

No no Debbie, I didn't think you were suggesting that :) I just wanted to make sure that everyone else who might read this was clear...

Jen :

yeah, its been very few, but I have seen dogs come in with health problems and the vet's strongly felt they were connected to chronic Metacam use. Its rare, but it does happen...

Yep, my vet, who is very cautious, said at least a week, too.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pocketpit » May 9th, 2009, 1:02 am

I hope no one is thinking I would suggest using a human 'script for their dogs. Or that I was considering it.

I did not think you were suggesting it either. I posted that warning because I've seen several pets overdosed and in serious trouble because their owners never thought to check and see if their medication was a different strength.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health