Gibbs-16 wk lab/pit puppy ISO forever home

Postby TheRedQueen » March 31st, 2009, 6:55 pm

Gibbs is a gorgeous lab/pit mix that I took from a family at their wits end with him. He was 11 weeks old and biting all 7 kids in the family...the vet and trainers told them to euthanize him, as he was so wild. I evaluated him, and took him home with me for some socialization, manners and training. He was horrible during the eval, biting every body part he could get his mouth on (including pulling my hair)...he also got very pissed off when something was taken from him, or if he was handled or held. He also tried to hump my arms (I was sitting on the floor).

He's now 16 weeks old, and has wonderful manners. He loves rolling over for tummy rubs, loves to be picked up and held, and enjoys handling. He is very clicker savvy, and will offer many behaviors for that click/treat. He no longer uses his mouth...unless he's kissing you with his tongue. :) He sits to get anything (outside, food bowl, etc). He's crate trained, housetrained and good with other dogs. He plays with the friendly cat and leaves the un-playful cat alone. He leaves the rabbits alone too when they're out for a romp in the house. He is great off leash...but does pull a bit on his leash and collar. He usually walks with an Easy Walk harness so he doesn't pull. He knows sit and down, as well as other skills. Gibbs is outgoing and loves people of all ages, races, sizes, etc. He's been attending puppy class for the past 5 weeks too.

He can be pushy with other dogs, but it's getting better. Hopefully he'll be neutered in the near future, which will help with his behavior some too. He is a LOT of puppy...despite his good manners...so he'll need a pit bull or very dog savvy home. :)

Anyone interested can email me at : TheRedQueen4@red-rover.biz

Pics coming up soon!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 31st, 2009, 7:04 pm

oh yeah, and there's a good chance he's gonna be a big boy...his mom was a 70# pit bull and dad was a 90# lab (back yard breeding).

Pics:

Look! I can sit on different surfaces!

I have a great recall!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby hugapitbull » March 31st, 2009, 7:11 pm

He is a beautiful boy.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby cheekymunkee » March 31st, 2009, 8:44 pm

He is CUTE!!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » April 1st, 2009, 6:48 am

Of course he is adorable...His Daddy is a Labrador. :rolleyes2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Pit♥bull » April 1st, 2009, 9:06 am

iluvk9 wrote:Of course he is adorable...His Daddy is a Labrador. :rolleyes2:
Of course he is adorable...His momma is a Pitbull :neener:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenn » April 1st, 2009, 9:17 am

Awww that saggy face! Good luck Erin, I'm sure the perfect home is waiting for the cutie. :)
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby KJS » April 1st, 2009, 12:04 pm

OH WOW! he is super cute and it sure sounds like he has come on a LONG way with you
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » April 1st, 2009, 5:09 pm

Pit$Bull wrote:
iluvk9 wrote:Of course he is adorable...His Daddy is a Labrador. :rolleyes2:
Of course he is adorable...His momma is a Pitbull :neener:

:tmi:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » April 13th, 2009, 9:26 am

Still looking for a home for Gibbs-puppy...he grows bigger and better every day!

He had another potential home this past weekend that fell through. :neutral: *sigh*

We've been contacting SAR groups in the area too, as he's very driven to find his toy no matter where it goes...and has no fear of new surfaces or challenges. The group that we gave Summer (former SDiT) is no longer together, so that's not gonna work! :|

He's a lovely puppy...and is very good with people and other animals. ;)

TheRedQueen

Postby TheRedQueen » April 27th, 2009, 10:35 am

Everyone cross their fingers this week...I have a potential home lined up for Mr. Gibbs!

The entire family met him yesterday, kids playing and acting like kids...and he was on his best behavior (which was his normal behavior). They're talking it over as a family...and will be getting back to us this week.

TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » April 27th, 2009, 11:16 pm

ALL fingers and paws crossed!!!!! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby SisMorphine » April 27th, 2009, 11:24 pm

Fingers crossed 'cause that is FABULOUS news!!!

And we require updated pics >(
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby airwalk » April 27th, 2009, 11:40 pm

Fingers and paws crossed here.
airwalk
I live here

Postby CinderDee » April 28th, 2009, 7:01 am

Everything crossed here!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » May 2nd, 2009, 9:48 am

Gibbs is back up for grabs...

And he's started his flyball training...and is rocking the box turn. ;)

I've also been working him with basic SAR stuff...throwing his ball into tall brush and behind stuff...he'll climb over/under/around anything to get his toy. He doesn't give up...he'd make a great working dog for someone.

My next step is to train him for Service work...I do have a new client that needs a dog. :|

TheRedQueen

Postby airwalk » May 2nd, 2009, 10:02 am

Ya know, maybe he was meant to be a service dog and that's why he came to you in the first place :|
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » May 2nd, 2009, 10:05 am

Erin, I so wish I could take him. I have been in love with him since you first got him. I just know that I can't handle another dog right now.
I admire you for putting so much time and effort into this little guy.
Soon, very soon someone will see what a wonderful dog this is and grab him right up. I am sending so many good thoughts for Mr. Gibbs to go to a wonderful and forever home.
Thanks for being there for him.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » May 2nd, 2009, 10:57 am

airwalk wrote:Ya know, maybe he was meant to be a service dog and that's why he came to you in the first place :|

Yep, that's what I'm beginning to think! 8) He's got the bomb-proof part down pat...not much phases this boy!

TheRedQueen

Postby airwalk » May 2nd, 2009, 11:40 am

I believe things happen for a reason....so maybe his reason was someone needs you to train him to help them.
airwalk
I live here

Next

Return to Rescue