Water in kibble

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 25th, 2009, 6:30 pm

I remember reading in another thread (maybe the "Vomiting" thread?) about how you shouldn't put water in your dog's kibble as it increases bloat. I always put water in Inara's food. Ever since I started her back on kibble about 2 years ago I pour a little water over it to make a "gravy." In the cold weather it's warm water, in the hot weather it's cool water. I'm not pouring gallons on it, maybe a cup. Is that really a problem?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » April 25th, 2009, 7:41 pm

My mom's vet told them to put water in their Standard Poodle's water to help prevent bloat. :|
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 25th, 2009, 7:42 pm

I would think it's a good thing - it really slows her down when she eats. It's probably like elevated vs floor feeding - whatever works for your dog?
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

pitbullmamaliz

Postby ArtGypsy » April 25th, 2009, 7:43 pm

I've always put water in my dog's dry kibble... :|
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby Malli » April 25th, 2009, 8:37 pm

if I need to get Oscar to eat, its almost a gaurantee that he'll eat his kibble if I add water to it...

I think it doesn't matter either way, the stomach will soak it anyway :|

My only "safe" measure is to avoid feeding any large amount of food particularly before, and also after exercise. I'll feed maybe a few bites if absolutely necessary, but thats it. I like to wait at least an hr before or after exercise....
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby SisMorphine » April 25th, 2009, 9:02 pm

Water in the kibble prevents bloat. It is less of an issue with high grade kibble. But I think we've all seen that piece of Eukanuba explode when it hits a bowl of water, correct? When you're feeding a low grade kibble and you feed it dry, it will expand when it hits the dog's stomach. So by allowing the kibble to soak prior to it being injested it doesn't have the same sudden explosion upon entering the stomach.

But truthfully a high grade kibble doesn't expand very much at all, so soaking it doesn't matter either way.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby airwalk » April 25th, 2009, 9:14 pm

I too add a small amount of water to gravy it up, have for years, and my dogs have all lived to be very old
airwalk
I live here

Postby BullyLady » April 25th, 2009, 9:49 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Water in the kibble prevents bloat. It is less of an issue with high grade kibble. But I think we've all seen that piece of Eukanuba explode when it hits a bowl of water, correct? When you're feeding a low grade kibble and you feed it dry, it will expand when it hits the dog's stomach. So by allowing the kibble to soak prior to it being injested it doesn't have the same sudden explosion upon entering the stomach.

But truthfully a high grade kibble doesn't expand very much at all, so soaking it doesn't matter either way.

That's always what I heard too, that adding water prevents bloat. When I fed kibble I put water in it and we never had a problem with Sirius bloating. Well, or Shelby either, but she's less prone.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 25th, 2009, 10:42 pm

I didn't know that about low-end kibble. I only add water because I would imagine it makes it more palatable, and it slows her down a bit. That's interesting, Alyssa!

pitbullmamaliz

Postby BritneyP » April 25th, 2009, 10:49 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Water in the kibble prevents bloat. It is less of an issue with high grade kibble. But I think we've all seen that piece of Eukanuba explode when it hits a bowl of water, correct? When you're feeding a low grade kibble and you feed it dry, it will expand when it hits the dog's stomach. So by allowing the kibble to soak prior to it being injested it doesn't have the same sudden explosion upon entering the stomach.

She took the words right outta my mouth! This is exactly the reason why you should add water to kibble.. :wink:
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 25th, 2009, 10:51 pm

BritneyP wrote:She took the words right outta my mouth!

What can I say? I like to steal :D
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby iluvk9 » April 26th, 2009, 10:39 am

I get a high quality kibble and always add water. One meal I let is soak a little, the next meal I don't.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby ArtGypsy » April 26th, 2009, 10:29 pm

iluvk9 wrote:I get a high quality kibble and always add water. One meal I let is soak a little, the next meal I don't.

((((((((((((it's ALMOST LIKE COOKING, isn't, it Joyce??))))))))))) :dance: :dance: :dance:

-----------Jody, who thinks with a little time and effort, she could help Joyce break free from the culinary chains that bind her.....
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby dlynne1123 » April 27th, 2009, 8:54 am

BullyLady wrote:

That's always what I heard too, that adding water prevents bloat. When I fed kibble I put water in it and we never had a problem with Sirius bloating. Well, or Shelby either, but she's less prone.

I agree, I always heard to put water in the food to prevent bloat. It actually limits the space in their tummy, and its supposed to slow the eating process a bit. Can't say my dogs are slowed down but I guess bobbing for applies makes them think a bit. :dance:
Ryder - Rescue APBT
Panser on a Roll - APBT (American Bully?)
Gretchen - the red headed cat that thinks shes a dog
Prudence - the new cat on the block to put the dogs in their place!
Punchlines Better Than Lojac - APBT (RIP)
dlynne1123
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health