Muscle Building Exercise

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby javjersey » April 22nd, 2009, 4:12 pm

Since its getting warm out I want to start playing/ training my baby, Brooklyn, as you can see hes not the muscular type :) I have questions because of this:
is it a bad idea to exercise him in this fashion?
If not, what are some good sites to get a start and learn what to do and do it properly?
Hes 13 mos old (7 at the time of the pic) and I want to get him fit so that hes better equipped for life and play tug against me. Its more of an appearance thing because hes part pitbull but the body mass isnt that part, lol and build up his confidence as much as I could. Since he was a shelter dog he still has that timid worried side that comes out at times (he used to have submissive urination but thats mostly a thing of the past)..
So any advice? I am glad to read it and learn.
Thanx!!!
Our dogs will love and admire the meanest of us, and feed our colossal vanity with their uncritical homage. ~Agnes Repplier

"Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend." ~Corey Ford
javjersey
Just Whelped

Postby javjersey » April 22nd, 2009, 4:31 pm

Should I have posted this under the "Sports" forum??
Our dogs will love and admire the meanest of us, and feed our colossal vanity with their uncritical homage. ~Agnes Repplier

javjersey
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 22nd, 2009, 4:44 pm

Nope, it's in the right forum. :) A lot of muscle formation is due to genetics. Besides that, though, lots of walking, swimming and swimming if possible. Just be mindful that he is still young and you don't want to put too much stress on his joints/bones at his age.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » April 22nd, 2009, 6:32 pm

Have you tried a spring pole or flirt pole with him to see if he enjoys it?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby javjersey » April 23rd, 2009, 9:25 am

Yes, I thought of that, he is still very young. I read some where that bigger breeds can be fed puppy food up to 2yrs old!( and thats my biggest concern now really, to get them off supermarket kibble!!!! I feel so terrible for that but its soo, ehhh cost effective :( and no, I wouldnt work him that hard, altho I dont know what he can or can't do because he can literally run for 30 minutes full speed. I do walk him at least 2-3 times a day for 15-30 minutes, and swimming, I wish I knew where I could, I need to look for a lake nearby or some what close so he can, but how can I be sure its ok for him 2 swim in, safety wise? Clean water, non-toxic and such.

As to Marinepits suggestion, thank you, that sound intriguing but I have NO idea what spring pole or flirt poles are?!?!?! I will be googleing it :)

Thanx!!!

javjersey
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » April 23rd, 2009, 3:47 pm

javjersey wrote: that sound intriguing but I have NO idea what spring pole or flirt poles are?!?!?!

Use our search function at the top of the page. :wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blabsforbullies » April 23rd, 2009, 9:03 pm

javjersey wrote: I read some where that bigger breeds can be fed puppy food up to 2yrs old!

I would disagree. I tell my clients that for the larger breeds, I tend to switch them over quicker, or at least stick with a large breed puppy formula, because I do not want them on higher protein foods (such as many of the puppy formulas). :D Growing too fast puts a tremendous amount of stress on their joints, and that is more likely with a puppy food.

The quality of the food, and thus the quality of proteins in the food, may make a difference as well. We are all doing the best we can, though. I can certainly understand that. :wink:

Good luck! :dance:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby amazincc » April 23rd, 2009, 9:18 pm

Swimming is a great exercise!!! :)

Usually, if the water is safe for people it's safe for dogs as well. :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby javjersey » April 24th, 2009, 12:19 pm

Marinepits wrote:Have you tried a spring pole or flirt pole with him to see if he enjoys it?
Awesome!!! It looks GREAT!!! I hope he takes to it since he isn't a FULL bully breed :( That looks like fun!!! :shock: I wish I could do that!! :dance: How do I get him to go in that direction though, because he isnt much of a tugger/ puller, and I dont want to build one and him not even bother with it :bs: :neener: I guess I never really tried to get him to do it, pull or tug, so now I will start, with a rolled up towel maybe put some meat inside it.
Is that a good way to start heading that way?

blabsforbullies wrote:The quality of the food, and thus the quality of proteins in the food, may make a difference as well.
Thats great because I want to desperatley take them off the filler kibble and looking in to getting them Wellness Core, Orijen, Innova Evo, or Artemis Maximal Dog. Which ever one has a reatailer nearest me :crazy2: ALSO, I have a 6mo old pugg and Brooklyn, whos 13 mo. I should get 2 different kinds right? One small breed puppy formula and the other an adult medium/or large breed formula, :| because right now I have them both on the same puppy kibbles and bits one :|
As to how much to feed.
For Example:
The instructions of Artemis Maximal Dog (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 1730&cat=8) read 2.5 cups for a 50lb dog, so I did the math and thats .05 cups per pund so my Brooklyn whos 43 should get 2 1/4 cups
and for Billy, whos the Pug is 15lbs, Im thinking of nnova EVO Red Meat (Small bites) (http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food ... 1605&cat=8) and their instructions read one cup for a 15lbs dog. So thats easy :)
Now are these totals on a per day feeding or 2ice a day, as I already am feeding them?

And also :neener:
amazincc wrote:Usually, if the water is safe for people it's safe for dogs as well.
I understand that, :dance: lol.. But I meant that most places that allow people wont allow dogs in the water, since I dont live near the beach. I wanted to find a lake or something, its going to take some research :P :shock:

pitbullmamaliz wrote: A lot of muscle formation is due to genetics. Besides that, though, lots of walking, swimming and swimming if possible. Just be mindful that he is still young and you don't want to put too much stress on his joints/bones at his age.
I thought that and that is why I am so concerned on putting them on a better diet :smileUp: Billy being a pug, and Brooklyn being a mix, I have no idea where or what his history is, being as he was rescued. I will walk them more and play with them, as to streneous excersise... I dont think I will reach that. But I will be getting more active with them.. 8) 8) :dance: :dance:
THANKS TO EVERY ONE FOR THE FEEDBACK!!!
i APPRECIATE IT SOO MUCH!!!
if you love your dogs and want to learn and do better for them
THIS SITE ROCKS!!!! Thanks again!!!!

javjersey
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » April 24th, 2009, 2:09 pm

I like to have my dogs lean and muscular, no matter the breed or type...so I understand. :) My basset hound used to have the best butt muscles...not typical for that breed...but she did a lot of exercising. ;)

As for the flirt pole...it's not just a bully breed thing. I haven't made a real one yet...but I have similar cat toys...I have to put the dogs away when I play with Fry-cat...as the Aussies and Score jump in to grab the feather toy at the end. lol

For getting them interested in a toy...here's the best article I know...

Creating a Motivating Toy by Susan Garrett
http://www.clickerdogs.com/createamotivatingtoy.htm
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby javjersey » April 24th, 2009, 3:29 pm

Awesome! Thanks! I read it, printed it out, and can't wait to get home and try it out!!!

javjersey
Just Whelped

Postby AllAmericanPUP » April 25th, 2009, 10:42 am

yup, spring pole def. not just a bully thing :D
heck Eli won't even touch a spring pole lol, but my golden ret. mix use to love it!

if your dog is toy motivated then he'll probaly take to the spring pole easily

AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby iluvk9 » April 26th, 2009, 4:53 pm

Cute photos. :giggle:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby javjersey » April 28th, 2009, 12:42 pm

I agree. Theyre awesome, and full of hope :wink:

javjersey
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » April 28th, 2009, 1:45 pm

Now are these totals on a per day feeding or 2ice a day, as I already am feeding them?

The recommendations on the bag are daily, pretty much your personal decision as to how many times a day to feed them. Also, you may find that depending on activity levels you may increase, or even decrease the recommended amount, I view them as "just a "starting point". You may also want to look into feeding an "All life stages" brand, to both dogs. :| Would definitely be cheaper for you, both of mine eat the same food every day regardless of the 35+ pound weight difference.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Return to Nutrition & Health