Vomiting

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby call2arms » April 20th, 2009, 3:28 pm

Woot!

I LOVE Pepcid, lol.

Go Max, keep it in!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Jenn » April 20th, 2009, 9:41 pm

That's great!

Pepcid, is that the same like for humans?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Marinepits » April 21st, 2009, 5:26 am

Yup, the same, just not the same dosages.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ma67cpe » April 22nd, 2009, 10:35 am

Well....he had not vomited since Friday 4/17 at 3:30am, but we ate a little grass this morning and couldn't keep it down. He's been fine since. Vet says to consider switching to Science Diet i/d. We are going to stay on the Pepcid for awhile.
ma67cpe
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » April 22nd, 2009, 12:57 pm

Yeah for no barfing! He may have acid reflux or IBS ( but IBS usually affects poop)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Dog_Shrink » April 22nd, 2009, 2:15 pm

Hm... figure that... it wasn't a blockage after all huh...

So glad to hear that your pup is doing so much better and with such an easy fix. Yay for your vet and yourself for staying diligent.

Keep up the good work!
:dance:
Dog_Shrink
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » April 22nd, 2009, 2:22 pm

Dog_Shrink wrote:Hm... figure that... it wasn't a blockage after all huh...

No one ever said it was definitely a blockage -- it was suggested as the worse-case scenario by several people here who are more knowledgable about veterinarian medicine than you are. And the dog's own vet also thought it was a blockage or motility problem of sorts if she suggested a barium series.

I'm glad the dog is feeling somewhat better but sounds like more needs to be puzzled out. The dog obviously isn't fixed yet if he's eating grass, throwing it up, and is still on Pepcid.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » April 22nd, 2009, 2:39 pm

Wow. :squint:

Better safe than sorry IMO. There is still something going on with him so 'nanny nanny boo boo' is REALLY not warranted. The dog is NOT fixed and the vet STILL is not sure what the problem is.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Dog_Shrink » April 22nd, 2009, 4:12 pm

I wasn't trying to imply he was "totally fixed" just that the vomiting every time he ate was a simple fix. Grass eating and throwing it up has nothing to do with him being "fixed" ANY dog could throw up after eating grass because it's covered in hundreds of little barbs that irritate the throat going down. Some dogs handle it fine... others don't.

Ya know Marinepets I get the distinct feeling you don't like me... I don't know why but from day one every post you put up after mine just wreaks of smack. Maybe there are others here more knowledgable in veterinary medcine than me but after 17 YEARS of practicing Animal Behavior as well as writing several columns for our local paper on ALL aspects of Pet Care, I think that I have earned just a BIT of knowledge in the field of canine health disorders. Please stop treating me like just another "average" dog owner offering advice esp. when you know nothing about me or my practical experience. We're all here for the same reason... to help others and you have made me feel unwelcome from my first post.

Cheeky... I wasn't trying for a "nanny nanny boo boo" moment. I'm not THAT juvenile. :neener:
Dog_Shrink
Just Whelped

Postby katiek0417 » April 22nd, 2009, 4:33 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:Wow. :squint:

Better safe than sorry IMO. There is still something going on with him so 'nanny nanny boo boo' is REALLY not warranted. The dog is NOT fixed and the vet STILL is not sure what the problem is.

Agreed...

To the OP, I hope you and your vet figure out what's going on with him...I had Sacha on pepcid for quite a while after she developed her food allergy (which, btw, magically went away when she was older)...

I also used Science diet i/d for a time with her...of course, the food had chicken in it...and that's what she was allergic to... :rolleyes2:

Seriously, though, yay for no barfing! And hopefully you will find out what's going on with him! It's never fun not having a concrete answer!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby cheekymunkee » April 22nd, 2009, 4:44 pm

Dog_Shrink wrote:

Cheeky... I wasn't trying for a "nanny nanny boo boo" moment. I'm not THAT juvenile. :neener:

Oh, 'cause I am. :oops:

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » April 22nd, 2009, 4:45 pm

you have made me feel unwelcome from my first post.

Hmmmm, considering I'm the one who approved you to post in the first place and was the first one to welcome you..... :|

Dog_Shrink wrote:Ya know Marinepets I get the distinct feeling you don't like me... I don't know why but from day one every post you put up after mine just wreaks of smack.

All I've done is ask you to elaborate and provide some links to the information you post. You've chosen to ignore not only me, but several others who have asked you for the same information. I'm all for differing opinions, but I don't blindly accept anything and nor do most of the folk on this forum, mainly because the majority of us are well-educated, above-average, and very knowledgeable pet owners.

If you offer up a differing and somewhat unusual viewpoint to a subject and someone asks you for more information because they'd like to learn more, then why not post your resources?

Maybe there are others here more knowledgable in veterinary medcine than me but after 17 YEARS of practicing Animal Behavior as well as writing several columns for our local paper on ALL aspects of Pet Care, I think that I have earned just a BIT of knowledge in the field of canine health disorders.

And after nearly 20 YEARS of actually working in the veterinary field, and as a groomer and ACO, if I see questionable information being posted, I'm going to challenge you.

Please stop treating me like just another "average" dog owner offering advice esp. when you know nothing about me or my practical experience.

Then start backing up your claims with something other than "people say....." or "it is said....." You're new here and you came on like gang-busters with a very "know-it-all" attitude. Reading a few books and "knowing a little about everything" doesn't cut it here, nor does writing several columns for a local paper. Expect to be challenged, not only by me but by others. And if you're not going to put your money where your mouth is, don't expect anyone to take you seriously.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » April 22nd, 2009, 5:34 pm

Okay, at this point, any other off-topic and personal issues can go to PMs, just like I'd tell anyone else.

Let's get back to the subject at hand.....
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby ma67cpe » April 22nd, 2009, 6:00 pm

ok....

I never said he was fixed. I said we are doing better.

My vet was trying to help me do the most cost effective measures first (based on otherwise normal behavior other than the occasional vomiting) - I am a student (graduating in August) with $0 monthly income. She found enough cause to go with this method of treatment.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions
ma67cpe
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » April 22nd, 2009, 6:21 pm

ma67cpe wrote:ok....

I never said he was fixed. I said we are doing better.

I know and didn't mean to imply that you said that. I was going off someone else's implication, not yours.

My vet was trying to help me do the most cost effective measures first (based on otherwise normal behavior other than the occasional vomiting) - I am a student (graduating in August) with $0 monthly income. She found enough cause to go with this method of treatment.

And that's completely reasonable based on your situation.

BTW, you can get generic Pepcid (drug name is famotidine) in any drug store and it's VERY cheap if you buy the larger packages. It comes in 10mg and 20mg pills, so just make sure you get the right dosage. You can also get the mondo packages at Costco for about 8 dollars if you're a member there.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » April 22nd, 2009, 6:23 pm

Glad he is doing a little better.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby call2arms » April 22nd, 2009, 6:36 pm

Yay for no picking up puke every day!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby blabsforbullies » April 22nd, 2009, 7:27 pm

I'm glad to hear that things are at least heading on the right track. :wink: A step in the positive direction is better than the alternative. :mrgreen:

I have many of my patients on Pepcid long term. It is a very safe drug, thankfully. :dance:

I am still cautious about this case, but sooooo glad that it's no longer 1 step forward, 2 steps back! 8)
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby ma67cpe » April 22nd, 2009, 8:10 pm

marinepits...i know....wasn't tryin to be snotty :wink:

i know we have a long way to go, but i am feeling optimistic at this point.
ma67cpe
Just Whelped

Postby amazincc » April 23rd, 2009, 9:51 pm

I'm glad to hear that he's doing better!!! :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health