10 year anniversary of Columbine

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 20th, 2009, 8:21 am

RIP to all those who lost their lives. And I hope peace has come to their families and those who witnessed it.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby iluvk9 » April 20th, 2009, 5:55 pm

If anything "good" has come out of this tragedy, it is that schools are now more aware of situations that could happen.

Along with fire drills, we have intruder alert drills and lock-down drills. All doors into the building are locked with personnel allowing visitors in, with photo ID and a sign-in procedure. Staff has coded keys to get in only 2 doors.

It's not perfect, but it's more than we had 10 years and one day ago.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BullyLady » April 21st, 2009, 12:44 am

Rest In Peace, those who died that day, and I hope their families have found peace. I still think of it every year when April 20th rolls around, every single time someone makes a 4/20 joke that tragedy rolls through my mind.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby DemoDick » April 22nd, 2009, 11:35 am

Here's the best solution proposed so far:

www.concealedcampus.org

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby SvcDogSawyer » April 22nd, 2009, 1:59 pm

DemoDick wrote:Here's the best solution proposed so far:

http://www.concealedcampus.org

Demo Dick

Seriously? That's a good idea? For college students maybe, but for high school students, that's just insane. If you're refering to the staff at a high school, it's not a bad idea.
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Postby Marinepits » April 22nd, 2009, 2:12 pm

My husband spent his middle and high school years on the rifle team. While I wouldn't advocate that for most kids these days (since the ones I come across don't seem to understand what "responsibility" means), I have no problem with the teachers being armed as long as they are properly trained in firearm safety.

Plus, a lot of schools around here have cops stationed in the schools as "resource officers", and they're already armed, so......
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » April 22nd, 2009, 3:01 pm

When I was in HS we carried guns, they were rifles in gun racks in vehicles but they were on campus. Many students carried pocket knives & such too, but I know times have changed, shooting up the school or stabbing someone was never even heard of back then. I am ALL for teachers being armed & more cops or armed guards on campus.

In order to obtain a concealed gun permit here in Texas a complete background check is done, gun classes are taken & you have to prove you can shoot well & handle a gun with a target test. And if I remember correctly you do have to be an adult.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby DemoDick » April 22nd, 2009, 5:42 pm

As mentioned, kids that age wouldn't qualify for concealed carry permits due to age restrictions. I was referring to teachers and other staff members, as well as visiting adults.

Too many people are dying because even if they had the mindset to prevent this needless destruction, they are not allowed to carry the tools necessary to do so.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Return to Our Departed Friends