Starlit

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 16th, 2009, 10:03 pm

Starlit had been having some gastro issues for a little over a week, promoting several vet visits and then ending up at the emergency vet

She had a torn intestine and now has a majorly bad infection which is being treated aggressively. She has a drain in her belly to help with the fluid and infection. She came out of the anesthesia fine but has a long way to go. Starlit will be there at least a couple more days if not more depending on how she does.

I held her and walked her but she isn't healed enough to come home. She went right to my van and wouldn't budge because she wanted to come home; it broke my heart to now be able to take her home again tonight and have to put her back in the kennel, but she needs 24 hr care.

It is cancer. Which was my biggest fear. Please don't ask me to get into too many details as I just don't have the strength right now. It is not what Sock-M had.

I didn't tell you all sooner as I was hoping to get good news and be able to post that instead, but that obviously isn't the case.

My heart is breaking and I want to do what is best for her and wish I knew what that was.....

I got to see her tonight...I held her and walked her but she isn't healed enough to come home. She went right to my van and wouldn't budge because she wanted to come home; it broke my heart even more to not be able to take her home tonight and have to put her back in the kennel, but she needs 24 hr care. The staff all love her and I knwo are taking care of her, but it isn't the same as her being here!

This is all happening just 2 weeks after the emergency surgery Patcheeno had.
Last edited by Patch O' Pits on April 16th, 2009, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby BullyLady » April 16th, 2009, 10:07 pm

Oh Patch.... I am so sorry to hear this news. Big hugs for you, I've been sending good thoughts to Patcheeno and yourself on a daily basis, now Starlit gets some too. :hug3:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Jenn » April 16th, 2009, 10:14 pm

:cry: My god, I'm so so sorry.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby cheekymunkee » April 16th, 2009, 10:18 pm

Oh Therese. I don't even have the words. :(
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Hundilein » April 16th, 2009, 10:20 pm

:hug3: I'm so sorry to hear this.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby madremissy » April 16th, 2009, 10:22 pm

Therese, I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you right now.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 16th, 2009, 11:01 pm

Thanks for the support!

I wish none of us ever had to post in this section of the forum.

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby CinderDee » April 16th, 2009, 11:20 pm

I am so very sorry to hear this. I'm sending you & Starlit all my good thoughts & hugs. :groupHug:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » April 17th, 2009, 5:26 am

I am so sorry to hear about Starlit. We all know this is an ugly, unforgiving disease for humans as well as fur children. I'm here to offer any support I can give you. You'll be in my thoughts as you do your research, listen to your heart, and talk to Starlit about the best decision for her.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 17th, 2009, 7:33 am

Damn Therese. My heart fell when I saw Starlit's name in this section. I'm so very sorry. Please let us know if you need anything. :(

:hug3:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Mickle » April 17th, 2009, 7:45 am

Oh Im so sorry!
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 17th, 2009, 9:01 am

We lost the fight before it got started.
The cancer was already high grade so healing was much more difficult. I was so hopeful we could fight and get her in remission despite the odds. She was so brave and so sweet to all the staff. Everyone was pulling for her to be ok.

She had complications from surgery. I got a call early early this morning . I had to decide between surgery again or the thing I never wanted to think of... because the intestine which has sown back together got an abscess and she was starting to have major issues.

After talking to the dr. and seeing her in pain even though on strong meds. I had to let her go. I didn't want to be unfair to her. I wanted to choose the surgery so badly and just wanted to be able to bring her home if only for a little while, but the prognosis wasn't good and the chances of the same thing happening again from the surgery were very great.

I've never had to do this before and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I can't stop crying and don't know if I made the right choice even though the emergency vet said I did.

I feel guilty about making the choice, but also know how much worse it was when I didn't make that choice with Sock-M and fought with her past the point where I should have... I guess there is no way to know. I wish I could just get a sign from both of them that they aren't mad at me and are OK.

I miss my baby girl and want her to be home playing with her bobo which is her favorite ball and play in the tunnel and weave poles.

I know she is playing with Sock-M right and they are having a grand time, but that still doesn't make it stop hurting. My Mom is up there too to watch over them both along with so many other great people and pets.

Sorry for venting... I'm just broken hearted all over again and also don't want to forget how much of a blessing she was in my life and what a wonderful loving baby girl she was...

Everyone at the vet loved her even though they didn't knwo her long.

Please say a little prayer or send some good thoughts out there for her.

I'll try to post a memorial to her as I get my emotions more under control.
I still haven't posted Sock-M's

I don't even know if this post is making any sense as I type through blurry eyed tears and sobbing.

I LOVE YOU STARLIT! I hope you know and will never forget me. I will always have you in my heart!
Shine brightly in Heaven's Skyz my pretty baby Stary Night, and I will search for you My Tar Tar, My Bella Bella, My Starlit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A True Champion, a great mama, my four legged daughter, and a queen in my heart always...

UKC CH/ ARBA CH 'PR' T's Blu Stalit O' Patchtra Skyz, OFAca, CERF, Penn Hip, DNA-P

Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby LMM » April 17th, 2009, 9:14 am

I am so so sorry for your loss :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Jenn » April 17th, 2009, 9:47 am

:cry: Again, I'm so sorry. RIP beautiful Starlit, you are loved so much. :cry:

:hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby BullyLady » April 17th, 2009, 10:18 am

Sleep sweetly Starlit, know that you were loved.

My condolences Therese. :hug3:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby madremissy » April 17th, 2009, 10:25 am

Therese, I am so very sorry for your loss. I hope you can find comfort in knowing that she is no longer in any discomfort.
RIP Beautiful Starlit
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby SisMorphine » April 17th, 2009, 10:37 am

Therese I am so sorry. This all happened far too fast, far too unfair :( We're here if you need us. *hugs*

RIP Starlit
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby TinaMartin » April 17th, 2009, 10:56 am

RIP Starlit. :cry: I'm sorry you didnt get more time with her.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby airwalk » April 17th, 2009, 11:16 am

Be at peace Starlit. I'm so sorry Patch
airwalk
I live here

Postby ArtGypsy » April 17th, 2009, 12:14 pm

:o :o :o :o :o

Oh NO.
Please, Please, Accept my Sincerest Condolences. This is unfair and so cruel........I'm so sorry.

---Jody
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Next

Return to Canine Cancer