Metacam

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Favorite Kitty » April 16th, 2009, 11:24 am

I was just prescribed Metacam for my kitty that is going for a dental next week. She is FIV positive so she does has some pretty bad teeth in there. Metacam is not approved to be used with cats in the US. So, I naturally came home and checked the internet about it. I have read lots and lots of horror stories. Mostly about cats dying from it. Liver disease, renal failure, seizures, among other problems.

Since this is a DOG board I was hoping some of you would have experiences with it in dogs. Did you have any side effects? Cats and dogs are built differently, I know, so there must be a reason why it has been used for years in the US for dogs and not for cats. My Pickery already has enough against her I dont want to add more.
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby maberi » April 16th, 2009, 11:33 am

Earl was on this for a while for his knee. He had some very mild diarrhea but that went away after a while
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby pocketpit » April 16th, 2009, 1:29 pm

We use it on cats in our clinic but we are very careful to give very tiny amounts and usually it's a one time thing. On a rare occasion it might be given for 2-3 days . We prefer buprenex but the anti inflammitory properties of Metacam can be more useful in certain cases.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » April 16th, 2009, 2:03 pm

I can't speak of its use in cats, but Katy has been on it for about 3 years now for her arthritis and her senior bloodwork is all well within normal range. Indy was on it for almost 2 months due to his cancer surgery and he had no problems with it.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Malli » April 16th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Yep, we use it at work here.

I've seen some issues with long term chronic use, but they are very occaisional.

We actually have people sign a waiver at work now because Metacam is not approved yet for cats here, either. Honestly, though, I think I've seen more issues with dogs then with cats :| Probably because its more popular with dogs.

It should not be combined with any other Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatories or any Steroids, wich is oddly a common mistake people make, and then we see the pet in hospital.

Once, my dog had it once and had blood clots in his urine with no lasting effects. However, he was also taking antibiotics, and had just had surgery in the previous day or so, so whos to say what really caused it?

I think you're pretty safe with a few days of it :| Just make sure she gets it on food and continues to eat well. You probably know, but cats often appreciate really clean bowls and frequently fresh water ;)

There are bad reactions to every medication out there :itsOK: I usually try not to read about them (as I'm a worrier) because it'll freak me out.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Favorite Kitty » April 16th, 2009, 2:44 pm

They want me to give her 1 ML because she weighs 9.14 lbs. After that I give her half that dose for three days. Then 1/4 the amount every other day for 3 days. They gave me a dropper to put it in her mouth. Doesnt that sound like a lot? Some people have said they used only a drop or two for their cats! Is there something I can ask for instead of this that might not have the side effects on cats and still work well?

And, Malli, they also want her to take Clindamycin every day. An antibiotic.
Favorite Kitty
The Mouse Whisperer

Postby blabsforbullies » April 16th, 2009, 7:39 pm

Favorite Kitty wrote:They want me to give her 1 ML because she weighs 9.14 lbs. After that I give her half that dose for three days. Then 1/4 the amount every other day for 3 days. They gave me a dropper to put it in her mouth. Doesnt that sound like a lot? Some people have said they used only a drop or two for their cats! Is there something I can ask for instead of this that might not have the side effects on cats and still work well?

And, Malli, they also want her to take Clindamycin every day. An antibiotic.

Ha! I am one the pill version myself for my foot! :rolleyes2:

I use it occasionally in cats. They have JUST come out with a new packaging that is specifically for little animals. :mrgreen: That is why the dosage you have read about it different that what may have been used in the past. The past one was extremely difficult to dose for small patients, so they made one for the little guys. I love it! I use it on lots of patients. :beerChug:

I have no really issues using it short term. If you looked up the side effects for any medication, you will find a similar list of potentially frightening side effects, unfortunately. :prescription:

As for the antibiotic of choice for the mouth, I LOVE clindamycin. I use it twice a day for the kitties I treat. Good stuff. :purpleBanana:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Return to Nutrition & Health