Yellow Diarrhea

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby maberi » April 6th, 2009, 11:00 am

Does Metronidazole slow "things" down? Kayden went from having diarrhea every few hours to having one stool a day. The stool is much firmer but they are small.

He is also on boiled turkey and rice so I'm wondering if the lack of any fat in his diet is constipating him a little.

Energy level, food and water intake are all normal and no more blood in the stool
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby BigDogBuford » April 6th, 2009, 11:31 am

maberi wrote:Does Metronidazole slow "things" down?

Yes.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby maberi » April 6th, 2009, 11:32 am

Does it make sense to mix in some of his kibble for a littler extra fat or just keep him on rice and turkey for a few more days?
maberi

Postby BigDogBuford » April 6th, 2009, 12:21 pm

maberi wrote:Does it make sense to mix in some of his kibble for a littler extra fat or just keep him on rice and turkey for a few more days?

I ususally use a little flax seed oil if any of my kids are constipated. Kibble might be a good choice or call you vet and ask?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby maberi » April 6th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Thanks, I totally forgot about flax seed oil and have a big container of it in my fridge
maberi

Postby Marinepits » April 6th, 2009, 4:54 pm

The reason why turkey/chicken/rice is fed to dogs with intestinal issues is because it produces very little waste product and gives the digestive tract a chance to rest. Don't worry too much if he doesn't poo for a day or so. Between the metro and the turkey/rice, his system is going to be very slow and quiet.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » April 6th, 2009, 4:57 pm

Marinepits wrote:The reason why turkey/chicken/rice is fed to dogs with intestinal issues is because it produces very little waste product and gives the digestive tract a chance to rest. Don't worry too much if he doesn't poo for a day or so. Between the metro and the turkey/rice, his system is going to be very slow and quiet.

Sounds good, thanks for the info

I was out walking him for miles in the rain today before I left for work trying to get him to pee. He ended up finding a nice little fenced in tree to poop on and after decided to kick up the dirt and ended up tearing the fencing off of the tree. :crazy2:
maberi

Postby call2arms » April 6th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Ah, I hate the post-metronidazole mini-poops, you never know at first if they're just holding back a huge explosion or if it's constipation...

But I prefer small poops to explosions. Good to hear he's holding his nutrients back in.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby maberi » April 10th, 2009, 9:25 am

Well I'm pretty sure Kayden's poop issues aren't related to anything he ingested. Karma and Earl now have soft orange stools as well :doh:
maberi

Postby call2arms » April 10th, 2009, 2:35 pm

What a rainbow of joy.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » April 10th, 2009, 5:09 pm

ew.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » April 11th, 2009, 8:19 am

Oh, yay. :neutral:

Have you had them all outside in the same place at the same time -- such as hiking or playing in a pond? I'm wondering if they picked up a nasty bug from some stagnant water? Have they gotten into any wild animal poo?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » April 13th, 2009, 8:40 am

Earl and Kayden are always at the park with me (throwing the frisbee for Kayden and tracking with Earl) so god only knows what they could have picked up.

Everyone's stool is back to normal at this point. I never thought I would be so happy to see a nice firm log

Marinepits wrote:Oh, yay. :neutral:

Have you had them all outside in the same place at the same time -- such as hiking or playing in a pond? I'm wondering if they picked up a nasty bug from some stagnant water? Have they gotten into any wild animal poo?
maberi

Postby maberi » April 15th, 2009, 4:28 pm

maberi wrote:Well I'm pretty sure Kayden's poop issues aren't related to anything he ingested. Karma and Earl now have soft orange stools as well :doh:

Now I'm really wondering what the hell this could have been

The neighbors dog (who is on the other side of a chain link fence so he can't get into our yard) has major yellow diarrhea :|
maberi

Postby call2arms » April 15th, 2009, 5:05 pm

sketchy...

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Marinepits » April 15th, 2009, 5:23 pm

Has anyone put down any lawn fertilizers or mulch or.....?

Does your neighbor's dog ever come into your yard or vice versa?

Have you guys seen any sick wildlife in your yards, or any strange poo?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » April 15th, 2009, 7:04 pm

Marinepits wrote:Has anyone put down any lawn fertilizers or mulch or.....?

Does your neighbor's dog ever come into your yard or vice versa?

Have you guys seen any sick wildlife in your yards, or any strange poo?

The neighbor to the right of us put down fertilizer last week (the neighbor with the dog is to the left of our yard the neighbor with the fertilizer is to the right). :|

We have a fenced in yard in the back but have seen wild turkey in the back a lot as well :|
maberi

Postby Malli » April 16th, 2009, 3:28 am

things are easily transmitted on the grass and ground, its a good place for bacteria to live...
Even being next to eachother in different yards something could potentially be spread, but I'm not sure what?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » April 16th, 2009, 2:09 pm

Are you and/or Heidi ill at all? Maybe it's in the water in your area? :?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » April 16th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Marinepits wrote:Are you and/or Heidi ill at all? Maybe it's in the water in your area? :?

I'm not sure about Heidi but my stools are nice and firm :dance: (occasionally they are green but I've read this is normal)
maberi

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health