Why Your Dog Needs to Fill its Stomach on an Irregular Basis

Postby KJS » April 15th, 2009, 3:58 pm

LMM wrote:I'm not sure why you are getting so defensive about your feeding techniques that you need to mention them? No one was questioning anyone's particular feeding routine.

you asked me point blank what MY "canine nutrition credentials'' were and as far as Im concerned my dogs aint dead yet so they are fed just fine :mrgreen:
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby LMM » April 15th, 2009, 4:00 pm

KJS wrote:
LMM wrote:I'm not sure why you are getting so defensive about your feeding techniques that you need to mention them? No one was questioning anyone's particular feeding routine.

you asked me point blank what MY "canine nutrition credentials'' were and as far as Im concerned my dogs aint dead yet so they are fed just fine :mrgreen:

Ahhhhh, yeaaaaa, that's not what I meant but ok.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby KJS » April 15th, 2009, 4:06 pm

Yes people often assume that my posts are always meant to be taken literally when indeed some must be viewed as only "the other side of the fence" and some as just the viewpoint and input of a foreigner with ways different than your own

In this case my gut feeling was that the originally quoted paper must be a farce...I was wrong...it was meant to be read differently and I had to go to translation to see that...the attitude of some here that I NEED to be ripped to shreads for posting my opinion and that I OUGHTnot to get upset about the general depreciation of my dogs is tiresome to say the least
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 15th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Final warning - KNOCK IT OFF. EVERYBODY. SERIOUSLY. I don't want to lock this thread but I don't want to babysit it all evening either. Find your ignore buttons and USE THEM.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby BritneyP » April 15th, 2009, 4:49 pm

Personally, I found this to be an extremely interesting and informative article. THANK YOU, Jenn, for posting it! :mrgreen: :wink:

I will say though, that I have to disagree with you Liz in regards to doing what your vet feels is best for your dog, because most vets are not nutritionists and most vets are very anti-raw feeding to begin with... :rolleyes2:
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BullyLady » April 15th, 2009, 4:50 pm

If you are a raw feeder you shouldn't be visiting an anti-raw vet, no? It's just like your own doctor, you need to find a like-minded veterinarian so that your pets can receive the best care possible.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby BritneyP » April 15th, 2009, 4:57 pm

Atleast in this area, it isn't incredibly easy to find a pro-raw veterinarian, therefore I chose my vet based the fact that my animals do receive the best care possible, and I have a very good client-doctor relationship with her. However, she doesn't ask what I feed my dogs because she sees the immaculate shape they are in, therefore, I don't tell. :wink: I'm sure if the question ever came up, there'd be plenty of discussion/debate & that's something I'd run into with ANY vet in my area, with the exception of the ONE holistic vet who hasn't been accepting new clients for the past two years because she has a small practice and is already in over her head as it is. :|
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 15th, 2009, 5:01 pm

BL & I both said that we do know people who feed this way. One of them is a member of this board. I will not 'out her', if she feels like posting about her feeding habits she will. I will say that her dogs are very healthy, not lacking anything & are not gaunt & starved on the days that they are fasted. She does give a chew bone or a couple of treats or broth on the fast days, sometimes but not always. Her dogs also rarely need to visit a vet. Her dogs are in no danger of kealing over dead on their fast days, nor are they looking to eat the cat or her family in their sleep. They get the same amount of food they would normally get in a weeks time, just on different days. It doesnt hurt a person to go hungry for a bit & it wont hurt a dog either. There have been people on this board who feed kibble whose dogs have decided not to eat for a few days( not liking their food, not feeling well, etc) and their dogs have been fine as well.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby katiek0417 » April 15th, 2009, 5:26 pm

BullyLady wrote:If you are a raw feeder you shouldn't be visiting an anti-raw vet, no? It's just like your own doctor, you need to find a like-minded veterinarian so that your pets can receive the best care possible.

I think in a perfect world, yes that's true...however, even around here, most vets are anti-raw...both of my vets know I feed raw (and one of them is a proponent, yet doesn't really feed it to his own dogs)...and they recognize that my dogs are healthy (well....except Cy...but he was fed crap until he was 7), and they look great...so they don't say anything about my decision to feed raw...

I've said it before...I don't fast my dogs on purpose...but they have gone nights without eating...they still get the same amount in a week, however...I don't think I'm abusing my dogs...and I don't think my dogs look unwell (or are unhappy)...but it works for my dogs...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby amazincc » April 16th, 2009, 7:13 am

My dogs eat every day. I'm actually somewhat anal about it, and brought a HUGE amount of food w/me for our two-day trip when we moved. :oops: :D

Personally I can't see only feeding them 3-4 times a week... mostly because I would feel guilty as hell eating in front of them on the days they get nothing. :|
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby DropkickPA » April 19th, 2009, 11:23 am

Sweet crap. If we're going to feed dogs "Just like they eat in nature" why don't we just go out and scrape some 3 day old roadkill off some blacktop and get it over with for cripes sake? I hate this false logic woo-woo crap. Canine in the wild are scavengers in large part also, and yet I never hear the "back to nature" crowd advocating for that. Agatha would dearly love it if I fed her half rotted dead stuff all the time (the stinkier the better), but I'm not going to do it.

And the article author's credentials read like a second graders listing of accomplishments (I ate a worm, My dad can beat up your dad, I have super laser eyes, blahblahblah) . A chemistry degree in NO way qualifies him for canine anatomy, nutrition, function, etc. I'm a self taught brain-surgeon, want me to remove that brain tumor from ya?
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Postby BritneyP » April 19th, 2009, 11:52 am

DropkickPA wrote:Sweet crap. If we're going to feed dogs "Just like they eat in nature" why don't we just go out and scrape some 3 day old roadkill off some blacktop and get it over with for cripes sake?

Some people do. I'm not kidding.

I hate this false logic woo-woo crap.

What's the false logic?
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby DropkickPA » April 19th, 2009, 12:03 pm

BritneyP wrote:
DropkickPA wrote:I hate this false logic woo-woo crap.

What's the false logic?

It's what they do in nature, so that's what we should do. Should we also let them run around parasite loaded because that is, after all, natural?
Dropkick, Dropkid, and Agatha, of course!!
DropkickPA
Confident Young Bully

Previous

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies