Obama family 'picks first puppy'

Postby KJS » April 12th, 2009, 4:49 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7995570.stm

Obama family 'picks first puppy'

Mr Kennedy, a fan of the water dog, is said to have gifted one to the Obamas
The promised US presidential pooch has been picked, US media reports say.

The soon-to-be "first puppy" is a six-month-old black-and-white Portuguese water dog that the Obama girls have named Bo, the Washington Post reports.

The girls - Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7 - were promised a puppy by their father, US President Barack Obama, as a reward for coping with the election campaign.

The water dog, which does not shed hair, is said to be less aggravating for Malia who suffers from allergies.

The identity of the puppy - which had been one of Washington's best kept secrets - will be officially revealed by the White House on Tuesday afternoon, the Post said.

But news of the furry addition to the Obama family was leaked by unnamed staffers to the Washington Post and AP news agency.

They said young Bo - who sports a white chest, white paws and a white goatee - was a gift to the Obama daughters from close family friend, Democratic Senator Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts.

Mr Kennedy, who owns three water dogs himself, said in January that he was "proud to endorse the Portuguese water dog as the next First Dog of the United States".

He said the breed would be a "perfect fit for the Obama Family" as the dogs have a "can-do and hopeful spirit" and were smart, resilient, determined, optimistic and tireless.

Bo was reported to have charmed the first family during a secret meeting at the White House a few weeks ago, the Post said, citing an unnamed source.

It said the top dog made no toileting errors and did not gnaw on the furniture because he has been receiving lessons in good behaviour from the Kennedys' dog trainers at a secret location outside Washington.

The choice of the US presidential pooch has been a pet topic for the nation's press ever since Mr Obama promised his daughters a puppy during the campaign.

The president, for his part, has embraced the media buzz.

"Oh, man, now, that's top secret," he joked on Friday as reporters pressed him again on the issue.

He also made light about his promise to his girls during last month's appearance on Jay Leno's talk show.

"This is Washington. That was a campaign promise," Mr Obama said, as the audience roared with laughter. "No, I'm teasing. The dog will be there shortly."

But sources told the Post that the dog was not in the White House as of Saturday evening.
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby Marinepits » April 12th, 2009, 8:06 am

I wonder if Kennedy got the dog from a shelter? :neutral:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » April 12th, 2009, 9:22 am

I can't find the article now, but yesterday I read that it is from a Breeder. His name was Charlie and the dog was brought back to the breeder because his first home didn't work out. So they are saying it needs to be "rehomed".
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Marinepits » April 12th, 2009, 9:27 am

ABC News said the same thing this morning. But, the Obamas are going to "make a donation" to a shelter, so I guess that makes everything okay. :rolleyes2:

The President missed a wonderful opportunity to promote adoption of shelter animals.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » April 12th, 2009, 10:05 am

I know, I guess they think if they take a 6 month old puppy who has been brought back that is there way of saving a dog.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby hugapitbull » April 12th, 2009, 11:26 am

What a crock of :bs:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby cheekymunkee » April 14th, 2009, 5:01 pm

I'm just happy that the little girls got a dog & the puppy has plenty of room & all of the attention he could ever want. Yeah, it isn't a shelter dog but I have a feeling people would be upset no matter what dog they chose.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » April 14th, 2009, 5:10 pm

Maybe BO and Mrs BO shouldn't have made such a hullaballoo about how they were going to adopt a shelter dog then.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby demolitionic » April 14th, 2009, 5:14 pm

Marinepits wrote:Maybe BO and Mrs BO shouldn't have made such a hullaballoo about how they were going to adopt a shelter dog then.

:giggle:

You said hullabaloo.
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » April 14th, 2009, 5:25 pm

That word should be used MUCH more often. It's funny. :D
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby call2arms » April 14th, 2009, 7:11 pm

I also like shenanigans, as an underrated word.

Obama is deceiving me on a couple of things. I'm not fond of PWD's, and so much for saying he'd adopt a mutt just like him. Bah.

Also, what Debby said.

At least they have a dog, did Bush have one? Wasn't it horrible and biting journalists or something?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Marinepits » April 14th, 2009, 7:20 pm

Yeah, Barney was a little bastard, LOL. He's a Scottish Terrier and I've never met one that wouldn't take your hand off! :lol3:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby cheekymunkee » April 14th, 2009, 7:22 pm

Marinepits wrote:Maybe BO and Mrs BO shouldn't have made such a hullaballoo about how they were going to adopt a shelter dog then.

Only one of many things. :wink:
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby LMM » April 15th, 2009, 2:40 pm

I just sent a comment in to whitehouse.gov and lit his ass up. Yea yea, I know he won't see it but I feel better having sent it.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby maberi » April 15th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Maybe they plan on breeding him :bs:
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby demolitionic » April 15th, 2009, 3:51 pm

Marinepits wrote:Yeah, Barney was a little bastard, LOL. He's a Scottish Terrier and I've never met one that wouldn't take your hand off! :lol3:

The little fucker was straight VICIOUS. Imagine if it were anything that looked like a pit bull :doh:
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » April 15th, 2009, 4:54 pm

Let's hope they won't turn into BYB's like the senior Bush's.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Wyldmoonwoman » April 16th, 2009, 5:32 am

I am pretty sure the dog is already fixed.

He is a cutie...I bet the girls just love him
"If I were not a man, I would like to be a bird. As I am a man, I do the next best thing, and ride a bicycle." -- Rev. Maltie, a cyclist in the late 1800s
Wyldmoonwoman
Full of Bully

Return to All the news that's fit to print