Discerning Titer Numbers

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby maberi » April 14th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Ok so the vet left a voice mail with Kayden's titer numbers for Distemper and Parvo

Distemper: 256 out of a range of 32 - 1024

Parvo: 2560 out of a range of 80 - 2560

His Parvo number is extremely high but what about his Distemper? She suggested boostering him or keeping him away from other dogs (which definitely will not happen).

Obviously these numbers are influenced by a lot of different things, but what is considered acceptable?

I have to go in to get some insurance paperwork so I still plan on speaking with the vet but I was curious if anyone had any info on this.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby blabsforbullies » April 14th, 2009, 7:58 pm

I would have to say that if I got these munbers for one of my patients, I would booster the distemper portion as well. Reason being that the number is low normal, and if there is a "bell curve", so to speak, of who would be protected, those numbers would fall out of the average, I would suspect. As much as I know vaccines are risky, distemper is not something I would want to be worried about. :wink:

Does that help at all? :|
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby maberi » April 14th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Yep, it actually helps a lot

Kayden is around quite a few dogs and I help out at a shelter so god knows what I am bringing home with me
maberi

Postby blabsforbullies » April 14th, 2009, 8:10 pm

maberi wrote:Yep, it actually helps a lot

Kayden is around quite a few dogs and I help out at a shelter so god knows what I am bringing home with me

I do understand the apprehension, though. Why can't anything be easy, LOL?!?!?!?! :doh:

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby maberi » April 14th, 2009, 8:14 pm

So what are the chances that they actually have the standalone distemper vaccine
maberi

Postby blabsforbullies » April 14th, 2009, 8:31 pm

maberi wrote:So what are the chances that they actually have the standalone distemper vaccine

It exists, I believe. I want to say that someone ordered it for a client a few years back, but I can't remember where it came from. I could be wrong, but I want to say that it was either distemper or distemper with one other component... but not parvo. I won't be in the office much this week, but let me know if you are having trouble finding it. It may be a case of finding it, but may be cost prohibitive because your hospital has a minimum order of doses it must buy at one time. :neutral:

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby madremissy » April 14th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Matt, I just wanted to give you this..... :hug3:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » April 15th, 2009, 4:00 am

oopsy
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to Nutrition & Health