Do YOU fast your dogs?

Postby LMM » April 14th, 2009, 8:01 am

BritneyP wrote:I dunno.. I've gone plenty of days (not in a row, necessarily) without eating and felt fine... :|

I also think it's important to point out that we can't really compare how we might feel skipping a meal to how a dog would feel. Our digestive systems are different.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby lellis34 » April 14th, 2009, 8:26 am

I only really fast King when he's having a diarrhea issue - and thats usually because he's eaten something he's not supposed to so I want to clear everything out of his system and start fresh. It's usually only 24-36 hours though. Otherwise I usually feed once a day in the morning. Occassionally if they're looking at me with big pathetic eyes they'll get a snack in the evening.
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
Tuck: “you can say that again”
Ming Ming: “celery is great after a good pee”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW-ZxcPE33w
lellis34
Bull Meister

Postby SisMorphine » April 14th, 2009, 8:48 am

Jesus Christ why is it that anything I post on the board lately seems to be taken as a personal attack on others?! I'm all smurfing set with posting anything of substance, now, thanks.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby LMM » April 14th, 2009, 9:08 am

:shock: I think I missed something :shock:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby katiek0417 » April 14th, 2009, 10:20 am

SisMorphine wrote:Jesus Christ why is it that anything I post on the board lately seems to be taken as a personal attack on others?! I'm all smurfing set with posting anything of substance, now, thanks.

I hope this wasn't directed towards me... :|

I wasn't taking it as a personal attack...I just pointed out that like your dogs, my dogs will have food drive regardless of how often I feed them...instead, I was talking about their drive to work, in general....my dogs simply work better when they haven't eaten.... :confused:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby BritneyP » April 14th, 2009, 10:37 am

LMM wrote::shock: I think I missed something :shock:

Uhh.. ditto? :shock: :|
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » April 14th, 2009, 10:39 am

I don't fast my dogs (I did when I fed raw...), and I only feed once a day.

I do train with food, and my guys work better without breakfast...as they often get "trained" throughout the day...and receive lots of snacks and rewards during the day. So they're not starving until dinner time. ;) And on rare occasions that I hear bellies growling, I feed them a little something extra during the day.

They fast if they're not feeling well...but even that's rare...I usually just give them some baby food rice if they have diarrhea or something.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby mnp13 » April 14th, 2009, 10:49 am

We feed once a day because we were advised by other people who feed raw that it's best for them to get raw once a day.

I never fast the dogs because I would feel guilty beyond guilty. I don't skip meals because I get home late because it's not my dog's fault that I'm home late. I feed them and then stay up for another hour so they can go out twice after they eat.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BritneyP » April 14th, 2009, 11:45 am

mnp13 wrote:We feed once a day because we were advised by other people who feed raw that it's best for them to get raw once a day.

Did they explain their reasoning behind this? I feed raw as well, and since I just switched to once a day, I'd be interested to hear the explanation behind this.

I never fast the dogs because I would feel guilty beyond guilty.

Why? The purpose of a raw diet is to as closely mimic a dog's natural, wild diet... however, dogs in the wild routinely go a day or two without eating, as well as eating a lot all at once, because they only eat when they can.. yes, dogs are not obligate carnivores and they WILL graze on nuts, berries, grains, etc. however, they are by no means grazers by choice and will absolutely gorge themselves when they eat.

I don't skip meals because I get home late because it's not my dog's fault that I'm home late. I feed them and then stay up for another hour so they can go out twice after they eat.

I don't choose not to feed my dogs when I get home late because it's not convenient for me, I don't feed them that late because I don't think it's good for them. Not to metion, I don't think my neighbors would appreciate 14 barking dogs at 2am.. and then again at 3-4am if I stayed up to let them out again..

I don't really think it's fair to judge when you don't have a large number of dogs that require several hours of care, several times a day...
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby LMM » April 14th, 2009, 11:47 am

Why? The purpose of a raw diet is to as closely mimic a dog's natural, wild diet... however, dogs in the wild routinely go a day or two without eating, as well as eating a lot all at once, because they only eat when they can.. yes, dogs are not obligate carnivores and they WILL graze on nuts, berries, grains, etc. however, they are by no means grazers by choice and will absolutely gorge themselves when they eat.

This is the whole premise behind the article I mentioned earlier in the thread. I am still trying to find it, I promise! I'm not sure how I feel about it but it was definitely an interesting read.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BritneyP » April 14th, 2009, 11:50 am

I agree Jenn! I'm not throwing stones, as like I said before, I don't really know how I feel about fasting on purpose either.. however, if we're going to feed raw to maximize their health, shouldn't we also be feeding according to how they would in the wild as well? :?
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby maberi » April 14th, 2009, 11:58 am

BritneyP wrote:I agree Jenn! I'm not throwing stones, as like I said before, I don't really know how I feel about fasting on purpose either.. however, if we're going to feed raw to maximize their health, shouldn't we also be feeding according to how they would in the wild as well? :?

This is an interesting question and something I have often pondered. I personally think you need to go with what works for your dogs.

I personally do not fast my dogs (now feeding raw again after feeding kibble for a while). There is no doubt that dogs will go without food for days in the wild but obviously this is not by choice.

I'm probably crazy but I tend to feed my guys smaller meals (one in the morning and one at night). I usually work my guys at night when I get home and then feed them shortly after. My thoughts are similar to humans in that after a workout their bodies need a protein/carb intake directly after to maximize muscle growth.

Wouldn't a dogs body go into starvation mode much like a human if you fasted a dog?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby BritneyP » April 14th, 2009, 12:06 pm

maberi wrote:This is an interesting question and something I have often pondered. I personally think you need to go with what works for your dogs.

I 100% agree, which is why I don't think it's fair to judge others because they don't feed the same way you do.. (not saying you are, Matt!)

Wouldn't a dogs body go into starvation mode much like a human if you fasted a dog?

Yes, I'm sure they would.. which is why I believe people who fast their dogs only do it for 24-ish hours, and they don't do it often..
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » April 14th, 2009, 12:16 pm

I'm not judging anyone, I'm just saying what I do and why.

<em>BritneyP</em> wrote:
mnp13 wrote:We feed once a day because we were advised by other people who feed raw that it's best for them to get raw once a day.

Did they explain their reasoning behind this? I feed raw as well, and since I just switched to once a day, I'd be interested to hear the explanation behind this.

Probably, but I can't remember at this point. It's been years and now we just do it. I should know though! lol

<em>BritneyP</em> wrote:Why? The purpose of a raw diet is to as closely mimic a dog's natural, wild diet... however, dogs in the wild routinely go a day or two without eating, as well as eating a lot all at once, because they only eat when they can.. yes, dogs are not obligate carnivores and they WILL graze on nuts, berries, grains, etc. however, they are by no means grazers by choice and will absolutely gorge themselves when they eat.

My dogs aren't wild. We feed raw because we feel that raw is the healthiest option for them. There are a million different factors in the life and eating schedule of wild dogs. Domestic life creates a schedule and like people the dogs are on a schedule.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » April 14th, 2009, 12:18 pm

BritneyP wrote:
I don't choose not to feed my dogs when I get home late because it's not convenient for me, I don't feed them that late because I don't think it's good for them. Not to metion, I don't think my neighbors would appreciate 14 barking dogs at 2am.. and then again at 3-4am if I stayed up to let them out again..

I don't really think it's fair to judge when you don't have a large number of dogs that require several hours of care, several times a day...

:dance: Agreed 100%...I'd LIKE to feed every day...but I, like you, Brit, am paranoid about bloat...so, if I've just gotten home from training, I won't feed those dogs for another 2 hours...then I won't let them out for 2 hours after that...then another 2 hours...and that takes us to 3-4 in the morning sometimes...and some of my dogs are DEFINITELY barkers!!! lol
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby cheekymunkee » April 14th, 2009, 4:28 pm

SisMorphine wrote:Jesus Christ why is it that anything I post on the board lately seems to be taken as a personal attack on others?! I'm all smurfing set with posting anything of substance, now, thanks.

Chill Princess, here have a bong hit, it will make ya feel better...I promise. :wink:

I think she was just asking for clarification, not to call you out.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » April 14th, 2009, 4:37 pm

When I fast my dogs it doesnt seem to bother them too much. They will look at me & try to remind me it is dinner time but if they don't get it they just go to sleep. They eat late around 9 or 10 and are let out at least twice afterwards. Munkee always has to go out as SOON as he makes sure his & Ollie's bowls are clean. On the days they are fasted I try to feed them a bit earlier the next day but they don't act like they are starving until it is their normal dinner time. It wouldnt hurt Munkee to miss a few meals ( it wouldnt hurt Ollie to miss a months worth!) but it is hard to keep weight on Justice so I have never fasted her as often as I have Munkee.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby BritneyP » April 14th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Thanks for the honest perspective from the "dark" side, Deb. :wink: :mrgreen:
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby cheekymunkee » April 14th, 2009, 6:00 pm

I used to fast them every Sunday & feed a larger meal ( 1 1/2 times their regular portions) either the day before or the day after but I just got out of the habit of doing it. Some raw feeding people load their dogs, which means they get a HUGE meal and I mean HUGE ( 2 or 3 times what they are normally fed) followed by a day or two of fasting. It's just personal preference really. Dogs will adjust to whatever feeding schedule you give them. People do too. I only eat once a day ( not from the looks of me though) and have for years. Some days I dont eat at all, I may snack or I may not. My daughter has to eat just about hourly or she thinks she is dying. :rolleyes2:

edit: I DO feed puppies twice, sometimes three times a day depending upon their age, after about a year 1/2 they are switched to once per day)

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Previous

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies