Do YOU fast your dogs?

Postby BritneyP » April 13th, 2009, 12:46 pm

Since the other thread about fasting kind of scares me, I figured I'd start a new one... that doesn't involve fighting weight. :wink:

So my question is: Do you fast your dogs?

This subject seems to be quite controversial, and I'm attempting to learn why. As of right now, I do not fast my dogs intentionally, but they definitely skip a meal on occasion, but it's completely circumstantial. However, I do not have feelings one way or another towards fasting at this point in time. :|

I did just switch my dogs to feeding once a day... seeing how that goes as it is MUCH easier on all involved, including the dogs, I think.
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » April 13th, 2009, 12:54 pm

Nope, I do not fast my dogs.

Just curious as to your reasoning for switching to one meal a day?
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby LMM » April 13th, 2009, 1:14 pm

BritneyP wrote:
This subject seems to be quite controversial, and I'm attempting to learn why. As of right now, I do not fast my dogs intentionally, but they definitely skip a meal on occasion, but it's completely circumstantial. However, I do not have feelings one way or another towards fasting at this point in time. :|

I feel the exact same way.

There is a good article (I have to find it) that argues the benefits of fasting and feeding them at different times in the day etc in order to actually FILL them up.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BritneyP » April 13th, 2009, 1:28 pm

LMM wrote:
There is a good article (I have to find it) that argues the benefits of fasting and feeding them at different times in the day etc in order to actually FILL them up.

Oh! If you could find that article, I'd LOVE to read it! :)
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 13th, 2009, 1:30 pm

LMM wrote:
BritneyP wrote:

I feel the exact same way.

I don't personally INTENTIONALLY fast my dogs...however, they have gone without meals just because we'll be training and it gets too late, etc.

In addition, I also feed once a day. I have found it to be easier but also more beneficial as my dogs are working dogs - and I'll explain this. I have found, at least with MY dogs, that their food drive (and drive, in general) stays MUCH higher when I only feed once a day. They're more likely to work for me. When I have tried to feed twice a day, I found that if I spontaneously want to do obedience (or bitework) with them in the afternoon, they don't work as well for me. I've had people make the argument that maybe I could just refrain from feeding in the mornings of days on which we train...but I don't always know the days that we will be training (and, sometimes, I come home from work and just feel like doing some obedience with a dog)...

I have also found that they poop less, stay leaner, and sleep better at night when we just feed once a day (in the evening)...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby BritneyP » April 13th, 2009, 1:43 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:Just curious as to your reasoning for switching to one meal a day?

I switched because I have a lot of dogs, most of them working dogs, and I was beginning to find that feeding 2x per day was a big inconvenience for THEM, not just me. I kind of run my house like a doggy daycare & they go out in groups several times a day for 30 minutes to an hour each time.. for this reason, when I'd let out in the morning, it could easily take 2+ hours to get them all in and out, so depending on when the first group went out, they were not eating breakfast sometimes until 12-1pm. I don't like that & because I work in the afternoons and have school in the evenings, it was limiting the amount of time I could let them out for during the day because I wait a good solid 1-1.5 hours before I will let them out again after eating. All of that, coupled with the fact that I TRY to feed them 12 hours apart, meant that they often didn't eat dinner til 10pm or later, which in turn didn't give them enough time to digest and go to the bathroom when we let them out for the last time at night, so I was frequently spending mornings cleaning kennels with poop and pee in them.

The reasons Katrina listed are very valid too. It's only been about a week, and I have had some vomiting & diarrhea that I'm not super thrilled about, but I'm hoping they're just adjusting... we'll see.
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Mickle » April 13th, 2009, 4:31 pm

I dont fast my dogs, I feed twice a day..usually about 7am and 7pm. If Spicy and Rifle have training they eat breakfast and they dont eat dinner. I find that Rifle was puking on training days if I fed him dinner. They get out a couple of times at night after they have eaten. I also tend to fall asleep on the couch and wake up around three am and they get to go out before I go to bed and then they still wake me up at 6-630 to go out in the am!
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby call2arms » April 13th, 2009, 6:07 pm

I wouldn't fast for other than medical reasons, I'd have no valid reasoning to do this. Jessie is fed twice a day, depending on my schedule. Being in school full time and working during the week and weekends made it hard to feed her on a strict schedule, so she just is used to kind of eat whenever I feed her.
I TRY to make it as close to a 12 hour apart schedule but because of above mentioned reasons, it often doesn't happen and although it somewhat sucks, as a result I end up having a dog that does not bug me until I put my hand in her bag of food.

Now that I'm away BF is caring for her while I'm away and he has a more decent schedule so she'll be on the clock when I come back!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » April 13th, 2009, 7:09 pm

I do not fast my dogs. There would be a mutiny. 8)

I feed 3 times a day. 5:50 am, 11:30 am and 6pm, when my schedule allows. Otherwise, two times a day. My Vet recommended feeding smaller amounts 2/3 times a day.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby cheekymunkee » April 13th, 2009, 7:53 pm

I feed raw & once a day. I do fast them occasionally but not as often as I used to. They were fasted once a week. I did it to clean out their systems, give their digestive system a rest since they digest bones and raw meat. Now we usually just have a fast day if I am low on food & dont have enough for all of them or I am out completely. They now get fasted about once a month, if that much.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby call2arms » April 13th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Seems like an ''old school'' practice, I remember my dad fasted our dog once in a while too. I really never knew why, she was on kibble.

It just seems like a weird thing to me, I fast for a day for a blood test and feel like crap, like I'm self-digesting or something... It sucks.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby BritneyP » April 13th, 2009, 9:56 pm

I dunno.. I've gone plenty of days (not in a row, necessarily) without eating and felt fine... :|
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 13th, 2009, 9:57 pm

I do not fast. I would die if I fasted my dogs. Heck, I feel guilty when I have to skip the morning meal if they have a vet appointment and bloodwork!!

I also feed twice a day. Is it a pain in the ass for me when I wake up late and I'm trying to race out the door? Sure. Is it better for my dogs? Absolutely. Though raw fed dogs aren't as prone to bloat, it is definitely something I worry about, thus preferring to break up their food into 2 meals a day. Plus my dogs are constantly starving to death (according to them) so feeding them twice a day keeps them pretty much satisfied so I don't have to kill them for annoying me.

I have working dogs, as well, but I don't abide by the "one meal a day" mentality. Their food drive is so high that I could have just stuffed 4 pounds of meat into them and they'd still take off my fingers to get treats. And on nights that we train and don't get back until midnight/1am I give them their dinner the second we get home. I see no need to skip meals unless for a medical reason (and even when it comes to diarrhea I have a difficult time skipping).
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby call2arms » April 13th, 2009, 10:10 pm

Britney, I probably feel bad when I fast because I get hungry about every 2 hours on a daily basis, lol.

I guess there must be a difference in metabolism, so like people some dogs probably handle it better...

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Leslie H » April 13th, 2009, 10:15 pm

I'm pretty much like you Sis. Soleil's food drive is extremely high, so eating doesn't slow her down much. I feed raw 2x a day. Weight pullers will often fast a dog about 24 hours before weigh in. Not me, I'll just withhold breakfast until after weigh in. I don't think Soleil has ever missed a meal, although she's had plenty of late ones and tiny ones.
Xanny gets kind of dry heaves if she goes without eating too long, now that she's 10. She'll puke up bile in the middle of the night. I think the raw digests quickly, and leaves her with an acidy stomach. If I give her a few biscuits or some whole wheat bread before bed, or before I leave for work.
Leslie H
Queen of Weight Pull

Postby BritneyP » April 13th, 2009, 10:35 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I also feed twice a day. Is it a pain in the ass for me when I wake up late and I'm trying to race out the door? Sure. Is it better for my dogs? Absolutely.

Do you mean to say it's better for YOUR dogs specifically, or dogs in general? Reason I ask is, I wouldn't think it would be very fair to make the claim that it is better for everyone's dogs... :|

I know that I can personally attest to the condition, health and attitudes of every single dog in Katrina's house (not trying to single you out, Katrina! :)) and they all look absolutely fabulous, and all are fed once a day.

On nights I wouldn't get home from training til 12/1am, my dogs would not get fed. Since I'd have to let everyone out after I got home, we typically aren't going to bed until 2-2:30, and I just do not think my dogs should be eating that late, and then again at 9-10am. I don't like feeding them when I can't let them out again a few hours later.
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BullyLady » April 13th, 2009, 10:43 pm

I feed once a day, I just DON'T have time to feed in the morning so they eat once at night. My dogs can be a little restless at night, and it seems that eating a big meal in the evening helps them to settle down better. They don't eat until right before I go to bed, though, so that I can play with them all evening. :)
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Malli » April 14th, 2009, 2:56 am

I fast for vomiting and diarrhea or other medical reasons.

Sometimes its circumstantial, however I've noticed that if my dog goes without food for 12 hrs that he will sometimes vomit bile.

I don't have specific times I feed at, its kind of "when I remember" unless I'm at work and then its on my break. I mainly aim for a certain amount of food per day. I occaisionally get "asked" for food, but its so infrequent that he gets it as I figure he's gotta be really hungry.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby KJS » April 14th, 2009, 3:17 am

I dont fast my dogs, Snoop would not allow it :wink:

I feed twice a day and everyone food is measured and weighed
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 14th, 2009, 5:00 am

BritneyP wrote:
SisMorphine wrote:I also feed twice a day. Is it a pain in the ass for me when I wake up late and I'm trying to race out the door? Sure. Is it better for my dogs? Absolutely.

Do you mean to say it's better for YOUR dogs specifically, or dogs in general? Reason I ask is, I wouldn't think it would be very fair to make the claim that it is better for everyone's dogs... :|

I know that I can personally attest to the condition, health and attitudes of every single dog in Katrina's house (not trying to single you out, Katrina! :)) and they all look absolutely fabulous, and all are fed once a day.

On nights I wouldn't get home from training til 12/1am, my dogs would not get fed. Since I'd have to let everyone out after I got home, we typically aren't going to bed until 2-2:30, and I just do not think my dogs should be eating that late, and then again at 9-10am. I don't like feeding them when I can't let them out again a few hours later.

Nope, you're fine! And thank you for the compliment! I like to think that our dogs look and act great, but it's nice to hear it from someone else...

And, trust me, Sis, my dogs have a ton of food drive - even when they eat...however, I see my dogs WORK better when they haven't eaten - I don't (for the most part) use food when I train (I say that b/c I only use food when they're learning something new): they run faster, they bite harder, and they show much more enthusiasm during obedience even though they don't receive food as a reward during those times.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Next