Magic the not quite but improving so wonder dog

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby airwalk » April 8th, 2009, 2:44 pm

You guys have heard me complain about the Pinhead...well a couple of improvements - and a couple of frustrations

He continues to fence fight with the evil pugs behind us but at a far lower level than previously. He still engages, but comes as soon as you call him and breaks off - which is an improvement, but still isn't good. I have found that if i can catch him before he engages, and give him a leave it....he'll watch them (very closely) but won't engage (as long as I'm in sight).

He apppears to be having fun. He knows it's not a permitted behavior....but he just can't help himself. He's one of the dogs that can get himself so incredibly wound up that he just can't...whatever, he just has to.

On a walk last evening, he decided to be a Pinhead (I know why was I surprised). He whined, he barked, he pulled, he walked like a turd....we've done the leash manners and he knows the game....he just plain couldn't help himself. So I started, everytime he was any place but in a heel I stopped. Stood stalk still and waited for him to figure it out.

It took forever, and that was the longest 1 mile walk in history but every time I stopped, he came right back around on the left and lined up. We would start walking - 2 or 3 steps...stop...start again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I have taken him completely off the melatonin...and he's better than he was before but

would it look really bad if I pulled all my hair out and just went bald? :|

Meanwhile, Scooter is plodding along beside the hub and keeps giving Magic these looks like "dude".
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » April 8th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Meanwhile, Scooter is plodding along beside the hub and keeps giving Magic these looks like "dude".
:ROFL2: It cracks me up to picture this.

Oh, Magic. Giving your Mommy such a hard time :nono:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Pit♥bull » April 8th, 2009, 3:36 pm

Kinda reminds me of a 'head strong' little mutt named Trouble. :| LMAO
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » April 8th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Poor Magic. I agree...Pugs LOOK evil. :devil:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby katiek0417 » April 8th, 2009, 5:59 pm

Pugs can be very evil!

And I can just imagine the looks given by Scooter lol

ETA: congrats on the improvements!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby airwalk » April 8th, 2009, 6:31 pm

All I can say is those are some of the longest 1 miles walks I've ever had. It is incredible how he can find more to see, hear, smell, taste and almost know about to pay attention to rather than doing a simple heel.

It's like watching a 4 years old on a major sugar high.
airwalk
I live here

Postby call2arms » April 8th, 2009, 6:51 pm

OMG, going to the park (2 streets away) can turn into a 20 minute stop-go-stop-go walk. I look retarded and Jessit totally knows I can't do as many stop-go's in the street at a green light, so she takes advantage. Little turd, I so don't miss those days right now...

I'm seeing her tomorrow!!!!!!!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby airwalk » April 8th, 2009, 7:25 pm

It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only dork that can't walk (my neighbors think I'm nuts) in the world
airwalk
I live here

Postby Jenn » April 8th, 2009, 8:17 pm

:clap: Yay for improvement!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 8th, 2009, 8:49 pm

I do back and forths with Inara, so we really don't make any progress whatsoever. The neighbors have to think I'm a little :crazy2: .
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby call2arms » April 8th, 2009, 10:29 pm

You know what, Jessie is 7 (I'm a dog trainer failure, lol) and she still won't walk properly some days. One trainer that was great (I just am not consistant enough and don't want to give treats at -30 celsius to wean her off at the heel) told me, if you're doing something with no progress, either you're doing it wrong or it's not the way that'll work for your dog.

After 7 years, maybe I should mone onto something else... How sad. The whole neighborhood has seen me at least once stopping and going with Jessie throwing a whining fit cause she can't go forward at a street corner. I love dogs. Now of course whenever weather is clement and I have treats on me, it all changes.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby airwalk » April 9th, 2009, 10:22 am

Okay, so I have about four more years before I have to declare this doesn't work right? :D Hopefully by then he'll be old enough that the four year old on a sugar high act should be too much work.
airwalk
I live here

Postby call2arms » April 9th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Bahaha keep your hopes up, Diana. I did too. Now I'm sour. :cuss:

call2arms
Boys Stink

Return to Training & Behavior