"powder coat"

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Jenny » April 6th, 2009, 10:23 pm

We have a adult female rescue pitty that came from a hoarders home, very nasty environment, lots of dead dogs and feces everywhere. .. she is unspayed yet.. she had the longest heat in history when I got her (of course. ) She has a powdery look to her coat.. like she rolled in dry cement? it was very bad when she first came end of January and is getting better but still not right. After bathing she looks great but then powder look is back next day but not as bad as it was in the beginning.

She had a heavy parasite load and we treated her 3x for hook and whip with 2x panacur and once with Drontal. She was initially VERY gassy and bloated. She tooted loudly with every step. Giardia and Coccida come back negative but I find it hard to believe at this point since she still has the poops! . She is eating TOW salmon with probiotics added. The gas problem has gone away.

Should I treat her for Giardia anyway? Vet did not seem to think it necessary but I'm really tired of the poop. Its not so much poop but soft nasty ick. :puke: I can take her out at midnight and at 7 am she has pooped! she just can't help it I'm sure. We'll go back to boiled chicken and rice.
"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby SisMorphine » April 6th, 2009, 11:21 pm

I don't think you'll be able to tackle her coat issues until you get her gut under control.

Personally I'd go with a bland diet for a while, see if it firms anything up.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Malli » April 7th, 2009, 3:55 am

yeah, if her GI tract isn't functioning properly then it won't be able to absorb everything it needs from the food to try and fix all the imbalances in her systems I'm sure must be going on from her poor treatment...
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby ParisStreetPitCrew » April 7th, 2009, 3:12 pm

I would encourage the use of probiotics/digestive enzymes too, in order to help the GI tract get back in shape.
We use Primal Defense (made by Garden of Life) for Sidney.
ParisStreetPitCrew
Devoutly Bully

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 7th, 2009, 6:16 pm

ParisStreetPitCrew wrote:I would encourage the use of probiotics/digestive enzymes too, in order to help the GI tract get back in shape.
We use Primal Defense (made by Garden of Life) for Sidney.
Great advice! I hope your pup is better asap!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby call2arms » April 7th, 2009, 6:51 pm

Just on a side note, for Giardia and Coccidia, and all the other little GI friends... When something doesn't show in a fecal, doesn't mean it's not there!

If she keeps having the poops no matter what you do, I'd get her re-tested... Or better, if your vet has the ability to send it to a lab to get the poop centrifuged and then analyzed. Some bugs need different floating solutions or techniques to be found and I'm frankly surprised of the things they find in labs that we don't see sometimes (then again your clinic may do it by centrifugation and not simple float, you can always ask)! It is worth to invest a little more into a better fecal for finally knowing what's going on... We had a cryptosporidium outbreak last summer, and also saw quite a few trypanosoma... All diagnosed at the lab (but we sent all our fecals out)... I'm rambling now. lol

Good luck and I'm sure her coat will improve once she's back on track with her health! In the meantime, hang on tight and buy a lot of carpet deodorizer... :yum: lol
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby call2arms » April 7th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Woops, not trypanosoma, it was something else but I can't remember which one. Rambling some more.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Jenny » April 8th, 2009, 7:30 pm

Thanks so much for the advice. Its been a challenge. We've had several dogs in a row with bad guts full of whips and hooks. Seems to take forever to get the dogs inards acting right again.

Back on chicken and rice.. different colored soft serve today :cry: BUT she did not messy in her bedroom this morning! whooohoo

I'm would bet its Giardia.. its so greasy looking and not the right color even when she ate kibble. Freaks me out I don't want any other dog to get it..I'll ask about sending it out, I think her previous tests were floats.
"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health