Do you SEE This? An example of why I need You..

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Jody » April 7th, 2009, 4:30 pm

I'm not posting this to be mean----but I posted a little bit about Macy and Dar on my SOCIAL site, on yahoo..these women come from all walks of life, many ages, professions, etc...from across the nation. So I am not trying to pick on anybody. Here is a reply to me, from one of them, in regard to my little problem with Macy and Dar. In her defense, I didn't go into details about dar, behaviors, etc...but more or less "let me tell you about MY day' kinda rant. But the following is kinda what the internet is full of, if one doesn't find the right dog forum to participate in.

again, I'm not picking on this woman........her heart is gold.......

Jody
Start watching the dog whisperer on the national geogrphic channel. Being a dog trainer who used to work with behavior issues..... I have seen anyone who is as good as he is. He has tapes you can buy on line too. And I would go to the sight and find out about having him come to your home and work with you and your dogs. It does not cost you be cause nat geo pays for it here is the sight address....... dogwhisperer.com. I am having a dog issue with my shepherd. Unfortunately I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. He is getting better but he is still afraid of other dogs since he was bitten. I would normally take my time but he needs to either get over it or I have to find another dog to consider as a service dog. He will I am sure. But due to my own confidence oin training and my disability I am so frustrated. I know the problem starts with me an so does dars and your girls. You need to learn how to take control. That is not a slam. But Cesar being free if you go on the show can teach you how and he does it with love and leadership. He really is a great guy. He is incredibley wonderful. He believes every dog is able to learn how to follow their human leader. Ans so do I. Give me a call if I can help you to work with dar and your other dog. I will be happy to do what I can over the phone. I have been training for 30 years if it helps.
Jody
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » April 7th, 2009, 4:41 pm

8) Tell Ms. Trainer of the Year if she is "having trouble" with her Shepherd, maybe SHE should watch more of good ol' Cesar. Tell her to try the alpha roll. :wink:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby SvcDogSawyer » April 7th, 2009, 4:44 pm

WOW! She's been training for 30 years and can't figure out what she is doing wrong? And she thinks you should call Caesar. Next thing she'll tell you is to Alpha Roll both dogs.

She's just :crazy2:
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Postby iluvk9 » April 7th, 2009, 4:46 pm

SvcDogSawyer wrote:Next thing she'll tell you is to Alpha Roll both dogs.

HEY! Did you not see my funny comment about the alpah roll? :rolleyes2:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » April 7th, 2009, 6:18 pm

Oy :rolleyes2:
airwalk
I live here

Postby call2arms » April 7th, 2009, 6:39 pm

I'm sure she meant alpha roll BOTH dogs at the same time. Yes, one per hand!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby TheRedQueen » April 7th, 2009, 7:10 pm

call2arms wrote:I'm sure she meant alpha roll BOTH dogs at the same time. Yes, one per hand!

Only the coolest dog trainers can do that!

8)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby call2arms » April 7th, 2009, 7:12 pm

I can!
with two muzzled chihuahuas! :D
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby katiek0417 » April 7th, 2009, 7:26 pm

I got nothing! :shock:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby madremissy » April 7th, 2009, 7:38 pm

:nono:
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby TheRedQueen » April 7th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Can't wait to meet her and her "Service Dog" out on the street... :rolleyes2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » April 7th, 2009, 8:54 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Can't wait to meet her and her "Service Dog" out on the street... :rolleyes2:

Oh, come on, Erin! Sheesh...don't you know that alpha rolls are the secret to training an obedient service dog! :rolleyes2: I don't know what you're thinking! :wink:
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby KJS » April 8th, 2009, 4:01 am

As I have always said and Snoop agrees with me...it mostly not the dogs that need the training..its the humans
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby SvcDogSawyer » April 8th, 2009, 1:18 pm

iluvk9 wrote:HEY! Did you not see my funny comment about the alpah roll?

I saw it after I posted. You just type faster than I do.

Does falling onto your dog count as an alfa roll? If it does than I'll have the bestest trained dog in the world until I get too fat and squish him.
John & Sawyer

"Damn Walkies"
SvcDogSawyer
Not Patrick's Nipple

Postby ArtGypsy » April 8th, 2009, 1:39 pm

Well, and it does seem kinda 'mean' that I posted it, like I'm laughing -at- her or something, cause the yahoo group we're on together is not a dog site....it's a 'social' kind of 'coffee group' kinda thing. So it's not as if she operates AS a dog trainer on our group. She's a disabled woman who 'train's dogs to be 'service' dogs or something or other. :|
But it IS information like this, that comes from everybody who thinks THEY KNOW, but who doesn't understand dog behaviors, and tricky issues like Macy being 'squirrely' even before I brought Dar home, and all the REAL guidelines that should be followed, as opposed to Kitchen-sink theory.

When I read 'jody you have to take control",,,,,,,,,,I just rolled my eyes. Are you kidding me?? (or is it true?? If I WERE a more experienced, 'in control' dog owner, would my dogs still 'snap and throw down' like they did???))

((did you like that young, hip, jargon..'throw down'..ha. Makes me giggle))...

ahem.
sorry.
I digress. :wink:

But you all know what I mean............just two days ago, I was talking to a good friend and HE told ME, that one time his rescued 'lab'mix growled at him only once, and he put him to the ground and held him for a few seconds, and THAT DOG NEVER-EVER did it again. Was 'the perfect dog after that'.
:bs:

I know I'm pretty green when it comes to Bully Breeds,,,,,,,,,,,,,but over my lifetime, I've been lucky to have had several really good dogs...............but I know if a Big Lab mix growled at me, the last thing I would do would be get into a physical pissin' match with him!!

----------Jody, who is hoping that the use of the word "pissin' won't get her a slap on the palm with the ruler.....
“Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage.
Anger that things are the way they are.
Courage to make them the way they ought to be.”----Augustine
ArtGypsy
First I Caught Her, Then I Didn't Share My Fries

Postby airwalk » April 8th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Jody, that's always my concern. Folks read or hear that kind of stuff from someone they "think" is a trainer and they believe it. They try to execute it....they get bit and a dog ends up at a shelter or euthanized because it's dangerous.

It is true that most really good trainers know that most of the time, most of the training has to be with the people...then you deal with the behaviors of the dog.

and nope...I'm not going to throw down with a large growling lab...hell I don't throw down with a large regularly misbehaving Poodle.
airwalk
I live here

Postby call2arms » April 8th, 2009, 4:50 pm

Well, then I guess people should only get dogs that can be physically overpowered by them - I should stick to Malteses. And this also makes all breeds over 100lbs ''untrainable''...

I only want to try and singly alpha roll that Irish Wolfhound that we had at work, and we needed 3 people (including a strong man) to hold him down on the x-ray table while he was sick...

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby airwalk » April 8th, 2009, 6:39 pm

OOOkkkaaay but you can keep those fast snappy little teeth...I take my chances with my big predictable readable dogs...K? :D
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 9th, 2009, 4:39 pm

When I read 'jody you have to take control",,,,,,,,,,I just rolled my eyes. Are you kidding me?? (or is it true?? If I WERE a more experienced, 'in control' dog owner, would my dogs still 'snap and throw down' like they did???))

It is possible that they will. You can, with enough time & patience, train them to be around each other & not snap & fight. But that is only a possibility IF they are in your site 100% of the time when they are together. I could probably force my 2 to be around each other but it is just too stressful for all of us. And even dogs that are 100% obedient & reliable will sometimes act like a dog & there ya go again. To me, it is just not worth the stress & risk.

Munkee despises all dogs except Ollie. And he only tolerates her. But he can be around other dogs while he & they are on leash. But if one of them gets in his face it is all over. Since I dont trust other dog owners to keep their dogs away from him I rarely take him where other dogs will be.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Return to Training & Behavior