Rabies Vax = Public Info?

Ask questions about Animal Control situations and local laws. Several of our members are ACOs and we'll try our best to help you! Please note: this area is not for "bashing" Animal Control Officers.

Postby SisMorphine » April 4th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Now from way back when I worked at the MSPCA I remember not being able to give out any information on any dog except for the dog's name and rabies vaccination date.

A client recently had her dog attacked by another dog. The other dog's vaccine info was faxed over to her vet, but her vet refused to give her the name of the dog's owner. Can they refuse that even though the paperwork was faxed over at the other owner's free will? Even with Rabies info being public?

Did that make any sense? The situation in all is ABSURDLY confusing so I tried to simplify it as much as possible.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby call2arms » April 4th, 2009, 3:42 pm

Err, that's weird, there is a confidentiality rule in vet medicine about files and giving out personal information about clients, maybe the dog owner refused to give that kind of information? But it seems like it's sort of a good way to avoid being sued/having your dog quarantined...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Marinepits » April 4th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Yeah, I've seen that happen at a couple of different places. She may be able to go to town hall and get the person's name if the dog is licensed (license requires rabies vaccine), but town hall might not give her the info either. Or, she could report the attack to the local ACO and once the ACO report is filed, she can get a copy of it.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » April 4th, 2009, 5:48 pm

She should report it to the local ACO and they will follow up to get an owners name and then she can request a copy of the ACO report.
airwalk
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » April 4th, 2009, 6:22 pm

She reported it to the ACO, but the dog is under the guy's girlfriend's name (which is the name on the paperwork). Ironically the dog had had the ACO called on it in a neighboring town the day before for biting a person!! So she had the female owner's name from that ACO but wasn't sure if it was the same person, and her vet wouldn't verify the name.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Marinepits » April 4th, 2009, 6:26 pm

Ask the ACO to call the vet or the ACO in the neighboring town to verify.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » April 4th, 2009, 8:17 pm

I would agree, I assume the ACO has to investigate the bite and get the info...so help them by giving them what you have and they'll sort it out.
airwalk
I live here

Return to ACO Questions and Answers