Yellow Diarrhea

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby maberi » April 3rd, 2009, 5:58 pm

Seems like diarrhea is a popular subject on the forum lately :doh:

Yesterday evening Kayden had a few bouts of some diarrhea. After examining it (yeah, that was fun) I noticed about a drop of blood in each of them (seemed to be towards the end, yes I watched a couple). I came home to find out he had two more episodes. Each pile is rather yellow and again, about a droplet of blood in each.

I put him on boiled turkey, rice and some probiotics last night and this morning.

Time for a trip to the vet in the morning?

Other than the diarrhea he is completely normal. Tons of energy, eating and drinking as usual.

Is it possible I brought something home from the shelter on my shoes or clothes?
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby BigDogBuford » April 3rd, 2009, 6:03 pm

Was it bright red blood or dark red?
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby maberi » April 3rd, 2009, 6:05 pm

BigDogBuford wrote:Was it bright red blood or dark red?

Bright
maberi

Postby Marinepits » April 3rd, 2009, 6:05 pm

Do you know if he got into anything?

It warrants at least a call to your vet, considering he just had major surgery on his intestine.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby maberi » April 3rd, 2009, 6:07 pm

Marinepits wrote:Do you know if he got into anything?

It warrants at least a call to your vet, considering he just had major surgery on his intestine.

I know don't remind me

Nothing that I can think of. All toys are intact and away when we aren't home. Nothing in the house has been chewed :|
maberi

Postby BigDogBuford » April 3rd, 2009, 6:07 pm

That usually means it's further down in the colon (which is usually good). Do you have any metronidazole around? Minnie gets this quite a bit as a side effect of her Addison's. I usually fast her for at least 12 hours (except water) and put her on a round of metro.

Did he get into anything? Given his history if dietary indiscretion I'd be inclined to call the vet.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Marinepits » April 3rd, 2009, 6:10 pm

maberi wrote:
I know don't remind me

:oops: Sorry. *shuffling feet*

:wink:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby call2arms » April 3rd, 2009, 6:19 pm

I agree with calling the vet just in case (and if I was answering that phone I'd tell you to come over to avoid taking any chances, lol)... And usually I fast for 12 hours (leaving water ) and then go easy with small doses of food. Yellow diarrhea, not a nice color, but the blood at the end might just be from inflammation in the colon. Jessie had a bout of explosive diarrhea last winter where she actually dropped quite a bit of fresh blood and after a week of metronidazole she was fine. Diarrhea sucks though...
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby maberi » April 3rd, 2009, 6:20 pm

I'm going to take him in. If I call them they will tell me to bring him in anyway, so I might as well save me the hassle

F'ing dogs

Where the hell is that vodka
maberi

Postby call2arms » April 3rd, 2009, 6:35 pm

Well, just as a safety point of view... Let's say you call, and the vet says oh no, wait till Monday, and there's actually something going on, and Saturday night it gets worse, you end up at the e-vet... Well then your vet is in the wrong at that point cause it was assumed over the phone that it could wait, and it shouldn't have... Especially with post-surgery cases, take no chance... Better off check it out for nothing than wait and regret. But that's my opinion. And I might be just a bit paranoid.

Yes indeed, damn dogs.

Vodka sounds good too, but for different reasons. >(
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby maberi » April 3rd, 2009, 6:52 pm

Agreed

What do they usually do to examination wise for something like this? Stool test, blood tests?
maberi

Postby call2arms » April 3rd, 2009, 7:08 pm

Well, he's bright and alert right? So they'd check his vital signs, and palpate for enlarged areas and feel for pain (tensing up when touching certain areas or organs) and then, depending on what they see, x-ray or not. Seeing as he's had surgery not so long ago (sorry about the re-re-reminder) they might do blood tests but usually for a simple diarrhea vets don't jump that route right away. Poop sample is a great idea, although not every poop sample contains parasites or parasite eggs. Metronidazole (antibiotic) is usually the end point of that first visit if everything else is normal, and re-assess in a few days (like, call to ask if diarrhea is still ongoing)... Metronidazole also helps with Giardia infections, so since those are easily picked up and not so easily seen in poop it can help a bit.

That's all I can think of but he's not a routine doggy so, I don't know! Hopefully it will be just a GI disturbance and quickly over with...

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Jenn » April 3rd, 2009, 10:15 pm

How's it going guys?
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby maberi » April 4th, 2009, 7:07 am

Kayden was farting in bed ALL night last night. Luckily his backend faces Heidi and front end faces me :wink:

His poop was much more solid today. Still eating and drinking like a champ and running around the house looking for his kong. Going to call the vet at 8 just to be safe (we have a nice poop sample brewing in a bag outside)
maberi

Postby hugapitbull » April 4th, 2009, 7:54 am

maberi wrote:Kayden was farting in bed ALL night last night. Luckily his backend faces Heidi and front end faces me :wink: )

Poor Heidi :sad2:

Hope Cayden's trip to the vet is uneventful.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Jenn » April 4th, 2009, 11:13 am

Agreed, poor Heidi!! :shock:

Hope everything went ok this morning!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby maberi » April 4th, 2009, 11:24 am

Everything was normal at the vet. They poked and prodded him stuck things up his butt and all was normal.

They put him on metronidazole first to see if this would help clear things up

$260 later we are home :doh:
maberi

Postby call2arms » April 4th, 2009, 11:42 am

260$???

What kind of poking and prodding did he get?? A catscan? lol

Seriously, metronidazole is a cheap drug, and the exam can't be over 100$ so... ???

call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby maberi » April 4th, 2009, 12:12 pm

Exam - 47
Fecal - 22
Heartworm/lyme/ehrlichia 39.50
Distemper titer - 60.50
Parvo titer - 58
3 months of Interceptor - 24
Metronidazole - 9.31

We were there for the diarrhea and already were getting charged an office visit so I had them do his annual as well
maberi

Postby call2arms » April 4th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Ooh, you did a lot more than just a checkup, I see now. Might as well since you're there...
Jessie is due soon, dreading the costs after 10 weeks of internship without any income, luckily my job lets me have an outstanding bill for as long as I want...

call2arms
Boys Stink

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health