New Member Intro...

Please tell us about yourself! You will not be able to post on the rest of the board until you have posted here

Postby motiveworks » March 31st, 2009, 11:29 pm

well... we just aquired our newest member to the family...

Ice (or the Iceman) is a 9 week old all white (with a few tan polkadots on his ears), red-nosed pit that we adopted from a rescue shelter....

We have only had him for a few days now but he has been an exciting addition to our family / pack of our children and 2 other dogs (a 12 year old Weimeraner that has traveled the world w/ us, and a 8 year old German Short-haired Pointer)...

We are a little concerned as Ice has been sleeping ALOT. I know puppies sleep alot but he seems to be sleeping more than normal... Is this something we should be concerned about?

Thanks for the input / help.
motiveworks
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » April 1st, 2009, 6:46 am

Welcome to PBT! :wave2:

I am SURE you will post photos for us. :wink:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » April 1st, 2009, 7:23 am

How'd you end up with Ice? What made you decide on a pit bull?

And yes, puppies sleep a lot. They eat, sleep, poop, sleep, chew on something valuble, sleep, mouth you, and then sleep some more. :wink:

Welcome!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Marinepits » April 1st, 2009, 8:21 am

Welcome to the forum! :wave2:

Has the pup been to the vet yet, or did the rescue/shelter have the pup vetted?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » April 1st, 2009, 9:20 am

:wave2: Welcome to PBT
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby TheRedQueen » April 1st, 2009, 9:25 am

Hi! Welcome to PBT!

Dish some more...how you came to get a pit bull, what do you like on your pizza, etc...and the mods will approve you to post anywhere! I'm sure you'll have lots of questions!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby KJS » April 1st, 2009, 11:54 am

Hello and welcome in! :mrgreen:

I have found over my time that puppies sleep a lot and ancient dogs sleep even more
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby airwalk » April 1st, 2009, 12:41 pm

Hi, welcome and yep puppies seem to have about 30-45 minute cycles in which they cram everything fun and then back to sleep they go.
airwalk
I live here

Postby BigDogBuford » April 1st, 2009, 12:50 pm

Hi there,

I find dogs that come from shelters often suffer from a bit of sleep deprivation and tend to make up for it when they get into a nice quiet home. :)
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby motiveworks » April 1st, 2009, 3:30 pm

thanks for all of the responses and info.

we have recently move to the phoenix area and have come across quite a few of APBT's at the rescue that frequents the Petsmart that we venture to with our children (they LOVE all kinds of animals) on the weekends... and we came across some very cute littel pits adn some very calm older pits... i seriously never thought we woudl have a pit bull - but i was struck by their calmness amidst the chaos of the pet store etc....

of course the moajority of press we ever heard regardint his breed was typical... but i believe that the owner and training has more to do w/ dog temprament than breed (to soem extent) - i had a japanes akita in younger years that was very intimidating due to his size but was the biggest baby and LOVED children....

so we spoke w/ the rescue staff, who has many APBTs and adores teh breed. we discussed our home situation, 2 small children, 2 additional adult dogs (1 female, 1 male) and our concerns...

she guided us thru male v. female (we initiallythought we might get a female)... but our male is the oldest and our famle (German Short-haired Pointer) has issues - so she recommended a male puppy...

knowing all of this she handed us Ice - notign his layed back disposition and such...
he was GREAT! but we dont make decisions like adding another memebr to the family lightly... we left him there... went hoem for the week, researched alot on APBT's and were more open to the breed than our initial perception....

so we went back the following week... thinking he will probably be gone, no big deal we thought - if we were meant to get a rescue puppy there most certainly will be a bountiful suppy of lil guys needing homes...

he was there! we talked more to the rescue staff, hung around soem of the older APBTs that were also there... left that morning - again w/o a puppy....

talked more about it all day - went back late that afternoon - thinking if he's still there - its meant to be...

so - we've had Ice for about 3 days now....

i think he's been a little down getting used to his new environment, used to the new dogs (they havent been around a puppy in a LONG time and I think they have forgotten how to play like a dog - as our GSHP just brings the Kong to him and drops it to play fetch?!?!)... and missign his little puppy buddies - the big dogs just aren't the dame to play with i think...

we love on him LOTS and he's great...

when he's awake he CHEWS - oh boy! and sharp little teeth!

but it has been fun... he has already made a special little place in our family...

pictures soon!
motiveworks
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » April 1st, 2009, 3:32 pm

Jenn
undecided

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 1st, 2009, 5:59 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby motiveworks » April 3rd, 2009, 12:51 am

Thanks for the info.

Here are some pics of Ice.

Thanks again...
Ice 4-2-2009a - Copy.JPG
Ice 4-2-2009b - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
motiveworks
Just Whelped

Postby iluvk9 » April 3rd, 2009, 5:52 am

Well, if that isn't the most adorable little puppy!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Jenn » April 3rd, 2009, 10:24 am

Very cute :)
Jenn
undecided

Return to Introductions