how to tell is she is pregnant

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby BrindleLuv » March 31st, 2009, 11:25 am

I really hope Mack didn't get to Babie, but is there any way to tell if she is? Sagging tits, enlarged nipples? Any thing?
BrindleLuv
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » March 31st, 2009, 11:39 am

The first question is: how old are the two dogs in question, how far along is she in her heat, and how long were they alone together for?

Next: Many bitches go through a false pregnancies. I know Teeny has every single time, up to the point of even producing milk and giving me heart attacks. LOL! Nipples can enlarge, the boobs can sag, but it doesn't necessarily mean she's pregnant. If pregnant some dogs can start to show early on, others may not show until about 2 weeks before they're due. It can all be a bit of a crap shoot, unfortunately.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 31st, 2009, 11:43 am

Take her to the vet and have them test her.

Then you can decide from there what you'll be doing...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby SisMorphine » March 31st, 2009, 11:56 am

From what I understand the biggest problem is that most canine pregnancy tests can't be done until after 22-ish days anyway, and even then aren't supposed to be very accurate. Ultrasounds can be done after day 25 I believe, though very expensive. X-Rays can be done at 50 days at the very earliest, though by then you're seeing other signs ;) Dr. Blabs, anymore insight on this?

I think you need to answer the questions I posted previously, and then think about why your dog is still intact (not judging, I have intact dogs, just trying to make you think). There are some HUGE health risks that come along with pregnancy and birth, especially if the dog isn't full grown.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine

Postby mnp13 » March 31st, 2009, 12:50 pm

SisMorphine wrote:I think you need to answer the questions I posted previously, and then think about why your dog is still intact (not judging, I have intact dogs, just trying to make you think). There are some HUGE health risks that come along with pregnancy and birth, especially if the dog isn't full grown.

Actually I'd like to expand the question to why both dogs are intact, not just the female. Like Alyssa, I have an intact dog, so it's an informational question, not a "trap" question.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » March 31st, 2009, 6:09 pm

SisMorphine wrote:From what I understand the biggest problem is that most canine pregnancy tests can't be done until after 22-ish days anyway, and even then aren't supposed to be very accurate. Ultrasounds can be done after day 25 I believe, though very expensive. X-Rays can be done at 50 days at the very earliest, though by then you're seeing other signs ;) Dr. Blabs, anymore insight on this?

Sure...I have a breeder friend who just got her dog's progesterone tested for breeding...I know it can all be a crapshoot.

But in cases like these, I don't think it's a bad idea to at least call the vet and see what they recommend...and perhaps get some info from them about everything! :mrgreen:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby tri-pod » March 31st, 2009, 6:24 pm

my bitch DIXIE went thru a false pregnancy at 8 mo. after her 1st heat .i was mad at myself thinking i didnt watch my dogs good enuf.she went thruogh all of the symptoms ,even was nesting and getting her whelping spot ready,then she was looking around ,i guess looking for pups that wasnt coming.we got her an ultrasound that revealed no skeletons.i felt bad for her but was glad she didnt have a unplanned pregnancyshe was still too young.
im RICK JAMES bitch!
tri-pod
Just Whelped

Postby BrindleLuv » March 31st, 2009, 10:43 pm

Babie is 3.5, Mack was only 8 months at the time. She was maybe 17-19 days in. I only witnessed them lock up once. They do spend time in my room or out side during the day out of peoples sight. at most 30 min at a time.
BrindleLuv
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » March 31st, 2009, 10:54 pm

BrindleLuv wrote:Babie is 3.5, Mack was only 8 months at the time. She was maybe 17-19 days in. I only witnessed them lock up once. They do spend time in my room or out side during the day out of peoples sight. at most 30 min at a time.

Sooo...you're keeping an intact female alone with an intact male together...during a heat cycle, no less?

Why is this exactly?

TheRedQueen

Postby SisMorphine » March 31st, 2009, 11:01 pm

BrindleLuv wrote:Babie is 3.5, Mack was only 8 months at the time. She was maybe 17-19 days in. I only witnessed them lock up once. They do spend time in my room or out side during the day out of peoples sight. at most 30 min at a time.

Well being that we're talking about bully breeds they shouldn't be left out together without supervision anyway, and when Babie is in heat they need to be kept COMPLETELY separate. Like, can't see each other. Period. At 8 months he's coming into puberty himself, viable sperm. I'd say there's a good chance. You'll find with her next heat, when he's a bit more hormone driven, he may even be eating his way out of crates (like my dog Blue), and through doors to get to the female. And I have even heard of females doing the same to get to males. Having an intact male and an intact female in the same house is an extremely difficult task.

Is there a reason that Babie is still intact? If there is no reason then I would call your vet about a spay/abort. It is the absolute safest thing for her, and will eliminate this problem in the future.
SisMorphine

Postby katiek0417 » March 31st, 2009, 11:58 pm

There is a possibility that Babie is preggers if Mack is 8 months old...on the other hand, there's a chance that she's not...

A vet can only do a test after Day 22...you won't be able to tell physically until the female is about 3-4 weeks out...(ETA 3-4 weeks from whelping, I mean)
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby blabsforbullies » April 1st, 2009, 7:33 am

Blood tests are not reliable. :neutral: None of them are. A good palpation can possibly detect puppies at 25'ish days. And an xray can be done 45 days post breeding (actually, technically it is 45 days post ovulation, which in this case, is going to be impossible to determine). Gestation is approximately 63 days from ovulation (again, not breeding... which is why some dogs don't go exactly 63 days because it depends on when the dog ovulated :mrgreen: ).

I would suggest spaying and doing so ASAP. :wink:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Return to Nutrition & Health