Poll re: generalized obedience

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Do you expect your dog to listen to other people when it comes to obedience commands?

Yes - s/he is a pet dog
33%
Yes - s/he is a working dog
6%
Depends on the person (please explain)
33%
No - s/he is a pet dog
6%
No - s/he is a working dog
22%

Total votes : 18

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 31st, 2009, 12:54 pm

Just for curiosity reasons, I'm wondering whether your dogs listen to other people. Or if you WANT them to listen to other people.

Personally, if Joe Schmo off the street comes up to Inara to pet her and tells her to sit, I want her to do so. But that's because she is a pet, not a working dog. I can imagine it's different for working dogs. But I like knowing that in an emergency somebody else can easily handle her.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby SisMorphine » March 31st, 2009, 1:12 pm

For me it really depends. For Teeny and Blue pet dog commands in English should be followed: sit, down, shake, circus dog, etc. Blue is a therapy dog so he needs to be able to do things when asked by the kids, and both of my dogs are brought out in public regularly and we work to dispell any bully breed fears, and who can be afraid of Teeny when she's doing "circus dog" for a 5 year old kid?

BUT I don't want anyone else to be giving my dogs French commands. My dogs don't know "heel" or "come" in English, nor do I want them to. For me that is a whole other level of training that involves having a bond with a dog. I don't want anyone else being able to take my dog out on the field and compete with them. Tell my dog to au pied and see my eyes get red. Just ask those I train with, LOL!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby mnp13 » March 31st, 2009, 1:25 pm

SisMorphine wrote:For me it really depends. For Teeny and Blue pet dog commands in English should be followed: sit, down, shake, circus dog, etc. Blue is a therapy dog so he needs to be able to do things when asked by the kids, and both of my dogs are brought out in public regularly and we work to dispell any bully breed fears, and who can be afraid of Teeny when she's doing "circus dog" for a 5 year old kid?

I'm the same way with Ruby and Riggs. They know English commands and I expect them to follow them; however, the English commands are the "when you get around to it I'd appreciate it if you would..."
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby hugapitbull » March 31st, 2009, 1:27 pm

SisMorphine wrote:BUT I don't want anyone else to be giving my dogs French commands. My dogs don't know "heel" or "come" in English, nor do I want them to. For me that is a whole other level of training that involves having a bond with a dog. I don't want anyone else being able to take my dog out on the field and compete with them. Tell my dog to au pied and see my eyes get red. Just ask those I train with, LOL!!

Ooh, I really like this idea.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby airwalk » March 31st, 2009, 1:29 pm

Scooter works with my entire staff so I do expect he will respond to his commands (all the staff know his commands) whenever given by Staff members or family.

He does respond, most of the time, when given basic commands by others - because we work with children he is very responsive to basic commands given by children.

Hmmm I never considered having another set of commands in another language ... I'll have to give that some thought for the future.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Mickle » March 31st, 2009, 2:01 pm

Spicy and Rifle I dont EXPECT them to listen to other ppl well other than my husband. I guess I kind of like Sis's answer. I should give that a try.
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby KJS » March 31st, 2009, 2:48 pm

Theres so many of them here...it really is best if they do what they are asked to when they are asked to...no matter who asks it
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby furever_pit » March 31st, 2009, 5:45 pm

I prefer that Dylan not listen to the commands of other people. He is seldom out of his crate if I am not around so there is not much reason for such generalized OB. Dylan still behaves very well when I take him into town or to work or whatever.

Dylan will listen to a friend of mine who we have been training side-by-side with for a year now. He will follow her basic commands of sit, down, and stay but nothing else which is just how I like it.
furever_pit
Supremely Bully

Postby iluvk9 » March 31st, 2009, 5:53 pm

I chose: Yes/Pet

My 3 dogs know basic commands. I expect them to listen to kennel workers, Vet and staff, family and visitors.

As for Lenny, I am just happy he isn't biting ME. We will see how he responds this year at his annual vet visit.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » March 31st, 2009, 6:06 pm

Mine are working dogs...and I expect them to listen to others, and encourage it on my part.

Xander, Sawyer and Ripley will all run flyball for anyone else. Anyone who releases them. If I'm standing right next to one of them, but someone else has their harness, they listen to that person first. If I raise my voice in "serious" mode, they will call back if needed...but for the most part, they run for anyone. That's easier on me, and it helps get folks interested in flyball. Jenn/Fenella has been running Xander and Sawyer for me for the past year at least...and look now...soon her own dog will be ready!

Inara isn't ready to trust anyone enough...but that's her quirk...not mine. lol

Score will perform most anything for anyone...he hasn't run for anyone else in flyball yet, as we're still working on getting him solid first...he's also a bit hard to handle...I don't know if anyone's lining up for the job. lol

Also...when it comes to therapy, agility or Service work...the boys will work for anyone. I can hand them off to adults, little kids, Hearing or Service clients, and they'll work just fine for them...which is important in respect to the clients. That's how we know what kind of dog works best for them!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby call2arms » March 31st, 2009, 6:44 pm

I knew someone who was French speaking and taught working commands in German. It's a great idea, especially that he was a PP dog, and he didn't want anyone else to give these commands (then again I don't know what level or kind of training he had, but I guess normally a PP dog wouldn't respond to commands given by a random person?). Sis, I can totally tell French commands to your dogs, lol.

Jessie is expected repond to sit, lay down, drop it and other basic day-to-day stuff with my family and friends. With strangers, they can do pretty much (sadly) do anything with her if they have a toy or food for her (what a slut)... If they don't sometimes she'll just ignore them, and if it's not a 3am drunkard asking her to do circus dog, then I'll imply it for them once and generally she's good after that. They do need to be firm though, cause she's just sooo excited the stragners are paying attention to her.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby katiek0417 » March 31st, 2009, 8:04 pm

I want my dogs to listen to Greg....I don't care if they listen to anyone else...
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby BullyLady » March 31st, 2009, 9:01 pm

I said no (and pets, obviously :wink: ) I think training a trust/respect issue, so I wouldn't just expect my dogs to trust and/or respect just anyone. There is one exception, and that is "sit". That way, if they are annoying someone they can be told to sit and are expected to follow through. And they usually do. If there is food involved Sirius will also perform any other known commands for a treat. Don't try the same trick with Shelby though, if Eric and I aren't around she will probably just jump up and take it from you...... :giggle:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Fuego » April 6th, 2009, 4:37 am

My old dog is very self confident and dominant. She had a bad past and I am the first and only person she trusts. Therefore without any training for it she never obeys other people. If someone tries to let her do something and is disappointed it doesn't work he shouldn't try to force her. Even if it's only harsh voice she starts growling and she'll never allow to be touched. The same dog is a perfect and very obedient therapy dog for physically and mentally disabled people. She simply knows the difference.
The young dog is also from the shelter but came as a puppy. She loves people and always did everything for everyone. Now she's one and a half years old and we've just started to do sports. I don't know if that's the reason or if it's the age but she stopped being obedient for strangers. All those she knows can still tell her things but she only follows simple commands like sit. Strangers can't tell her commands anymore and I don't want to change that. I don't mind if people on the dog training place or friends can work with her but I'm happy if strangers can't (ab)use her.
Greetings from Germany :)
A life without a dog is possible but worthless.
Fuego
Just Whelped

Return to Training & Behavior