Questions concerning fast day

Postby Fuego » March 25th, 2009, 4:26 am

Hi,

Before I started to feed raw I read a lot about it and every source said you should have a fast day. As my old lady is sick and needs pills she has to eat every day. But the young dog could have a fast day. Until now I didn't do that as I thought it's unfair to feed one and let the other starve. Even if she doesn't watch she'll know.
Now I think of doing it really right so I'd like to know if you really think it's necessary. What's the use? I read it's for detoxication but somehow that sounds strange. Maybe a day with only vegetables or fruit would do?
You can also post sources or links as I only know German sources.
Also I'd like to know how many of you really do that fast day and what effect it has. Was it difficult in the beginning? Did you notice a change or better a benefit for the dog?
Greetings from Germany :)
A life without a dog is possible but worthless.
Fuego
Just Whelped

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 25th, 2009, 6:40 am

When I was feeding raw I would generally only do a fast day if Inara had eaten a gigantic meal the day before - like if I gave her a 3 lb chicken or something big like that. Other than that, she ate every day. I really believe it's just personal preference.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TinaMartin » March 30th, 2009, 10:11 am

Same here. I really dont fast Gator unless his last meal was huge.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Mickle » March 30th, 2009, 11:02 am

I dont do a fast day
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby SisMorphine » March 30th, 2009, 11:19 am

I feed raw and don't fast.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby babyreba » March 30th, 2009, 12:04 pm

ditto. i feed raw and only rarely will i fast the dogs . . . usually, as others have said, only if i've fed some huge meal the day/night before.
babyreba
Supremely Bully

Postby Fuego » April 6th, 2009, 4:19 am

Thanks a lot, I'm very happy with your answers and I'm sure Loki even more :mrgreen:
Most people here say you have to have a fast day but I couldn't really believe it and as raw feeding has been done and tested much longer in the USA I was sure to get better info here.
I changed the plan now and have two days with small portions instead of one fast day.
Greetings from Germany :)
A life without a dog is possible but worthless.
Fuego
Just Whelped

Return to Raw Feeding