Canine Blood Donations

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby TheRedQueen » March 28th, 2009, 9:07 am

Split from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=29225

iluvk9 wrote:Didn't we have a member here who had a few dogs that were blood donors?

Pricey, but rather cool stuff.

Sawyer donates blood...Xander retired from donating this past year, as he aged out. :) Score was too wiggly...and Inara too fearful...so it's Sawyer's job now.

but donating marrow? Wow...interesting.

I wonder if they're using "voluntary" donors... :neutral:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby iluvk9 » March 28th, 2009, 9:07 am

That's who it is! What a great service he provides.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » March 28th, 2009, 9:13 am

iluvk9 wrote:That's who it is! What a great service he provides.

And there are many bully dogs that donate in our area...the blood bank has an online photo gallery...and you can see pit bulls, amstaffs and all sorts of other dogs. Makes me happy to see all those bullies!

www.evbb.com
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby pocketpit » March 28th, 2009, 2:33 pm

Most of my dogs have at some point in their life donated blood as well. Our clinic uses a blood bank for packed red cells and plasma but we use employee pets for fresh whole blood. Crash is retired now due to his age but he's donated well over 30 units since he's been with us. While not all of our recipients live, it is a wonderful feeling when they do and we get to watch them walk out the door.
pocketpit
Supremely Bully

Postby BullyLady » March 28th, 2009, 2:39 pm

Sirius donates blood, Shelby doesn't weigh enough yet. I LOVE that he can do a good thing for other animals. :)
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby iluvk9 » March 28th, 2009, 4:14 pm

How does the process work? Heaven knows Truman has enough blood to fill another Clydsdale. Do they sedate them? How long does it take? Does my regular Vet do it?
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby BullyLady » March 28th, 2009, 4:28 pm

Our emergency vet clinic is the one who runs the local blood bank. They sent emails to local vets to recruit dogs and our vets suggested I take Sirius for it. They had to run lots of blood tests to make sure he is healthy enough to donate, and then blood typing as well. The average donation takes about 2 hours and not all dogs need to be sedated, but Sirius does. :)
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Malli » March 28th, 2009, 4:40 pm

we do blood donations and transfusions at work...

sometimes the dog needs sedation, sometimes not. The actual blood collection usually takes 10-30 minutes but often the dog donating is in for -as Bullylady said- closer to an hr or 2, and the dog may need some time to recover if he or she does get a sedative.

The dog will get blood typed and have a large blood panel run in advance, here all the blood work is complimentary.
The dog must be between 2 and 8 yrs, over 25 kg, in good health, and here we also stipulate that they be of good temperment.

Oscar would have been a blood donor if not for his allergy issues (for fear that the donation would send his immune system over the edge and the Prednisone.). For him though, he spends so much time at work -and is now a little stressed about it- that I'm kind of happy he didn't end up donating, I try to have only positive things happen at work now unless absolutely necessary.

For dogs that are super happy go lucky and don't visit the vet's often, blood donation is great :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » March 28th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Speaking for our donating...through the EVBB...it's very easy and quick.

They visit different vets around the area (they're based in Annapolis, MD)...MD, NoVa and WV. We get a scheduled date/time to visit. The first visit is just to see how they'll handle the restraint. The vet tech gets on the table with the dog, lies down alongside the dog, throws a leg and an arm over the dog and holds them in place. That's all they do for the first visit...plus they turn on the pump to see how they handle the noise. For a real visit, after the tech gets the dog restrained, the then vet clips an area on the neck, and inserts the needle. The pump makes it faster...so it only takes 10-15 minutes. My guys all use the pump...so it's quick. After they get a certain amount, they pull the needle out, put pressure on the spot for a while...still restrained. Then they let the dog up and put them on the floor. They dump handfuls of treats and crappy dog food (candy!) on the ground...and/or feed them peanut butter. (sometimes they get PB while on the table too).

They get a bandana or toy many times too...from Science Diet or volunteer groups (we got a V-day bandana from a local 4-H group).

Sawyer loves it...he thinks it's all great fun. Score did not like the restraint by a stranger (I wasn't in the room the first time)...and he's still a bit spooked. They have to be voluntary! :D Xander was never pleased to go in...but was SOOOO good, and recovered with no major emotional trauma...so I kept it up for a few years for him. He retired last year, due to age.

For the EVBB, the dogs have to be over 35# and in good health. They get a HW test as part of the blood donation...and typing too. Also, if they ever have surgery and have donated long enough...they get a free packet of blood if needed. They can donate every three months.

:D

TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » March 28th, 2009, 6:22 pm

Does the dog have to be restrained by a tech?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby BullyLady » March 28th, 2009, 6:23 pm

mnp13 wrote:Does the dog have to be restrained by a tech?

Not if they don't need it!
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 28th, 2009, 6:51 pm

I think Michelle is asking if she'd be allowed to restrain her own dog.

I tried calling several places around here but they all use employee's pets for blood donations. :(
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » March 28th, 2009, 8:28 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I think Michelle is asking if she'd be allowed to restrain her own dog.

yup!

Ruby might do it if I can hold her for it.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby CinderDee » March 28th, 2009, 8:40 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I think Michelle is asking if she'd be allowed to restrain her own dog.

I tried calling several places around here but they all use employee's pets for blood donations. :(

Same with me, Liz.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby TheRedQueen » March 28th, 2009, 9:11 pm

mnp13 wrote:

yup!

Ruby might do it if I can hold her for it.

For EVBB, the tech holds...Score would hold still for me too...but that's not the way they are set up. I can't speak for other organizations.

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » March 28th, 2009, 10:16 pm

sometimes the owner will restrain here, sometimes not. More often then not the staff prefer not to have the owner present(the animal must be calm and quiet and have no stimulation(so little to no talking and low, soothing voices), the faster everything happens generally the more smoothly it goes, they have to sit still for a LONG-well, in a dog world- time); there are exceptions though and some owners are quite helpful and unobtrusive.

Our Blood donors usually get a small meal (if they'll eat) or treats, too, and we send gift baskets and thank you letters out yearly.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby call2arms » March 28th, 2009, 10:31 pm

When we get blood donations at work, we prefer that a tech holds, they DO have a needle in their jugular after all. Exceptionally, if we see that the owner and dog holding combo is normally very good (ex. when doing HW or other blood draws in legs), they might be able to hold if they want to donate.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » March 29th, 2009, 11:45 am

Truman will not allow anyone to restrain him. I just practiced lying next to him and keeping him still for 10 minutes. He constantly gives his Rotti growl (in a loving way if you know him). Then he wants to roll over on his back and play. I don't think he would be a good candidate. :(
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Malli » March 29th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Aww, thats ok Joyce. Nobody wants the animal to really hate it anyway ;) We have enough of that with the necessary blood collections.

what about Miss Linguine?
or Harleybird?
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » March 29th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Darlene Linguine would be mortified. 8) Harleybird is a possibility. :? He lets me do anything to him...I even removed the stitches from his neutering. :dance: I would have to be in the room with him and hold him.

Lenny is a no-go, obviously because of age and that biting thing with others. :wink:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health