Rocky CNY

Postby Jenny » March 21st, 2009, 12:59 am

My big hunk of love Rocky is almost 3 years old and about 80 pounds, pb ABD, up to date on shots, HW Neg, neutered...still looking for that special experienced someone!
STRAIGHT UP:
Basically he is very sweet and wants to please.. BUT no small kids, no cats, no dogs... he came from a breeder to a older couple who wanted to keep him from going to a shelter and stayed in their basement for god knows how long. He was too much dog for them obviously.

He came to us in October 08, very stressed, emaciated, 3 inch nails, major skin problems, major ear problems, attitude problems etc.. he was a MESS. But a very good boy at the Vets I was so surprised to see :wink: I said "lets wait to get him neutered, he may not be adoptable." Once we saw what he was all about, the DA is balanced by his obedience, its still borderline IMO. He likes men and women the same. Even the crazy cat rescue lady who was scared to death of him and any other bully breed can walk him on the property with confidence now and he loves her!

Now he is staying with a groomer friend of ours doing very well in all areas but def needs more in his life now and his own family of ADULTS. He needs someone smarter than he is and will look forward for him and encourage him to behave like the charming bully he is. He needs out of a kennel and onto a couch.

He knows ALL his OB, recall is fair but could be better, rides very nice in the car and does not display bad behavior when under the control of a reasonably intelligent person on or off leash (OFF LEASH with real boundaries such as a fence and I do not mean invisible fence!) .

FICTION: "Oh he is so cute and sweet! lets adopt him and let him run free in the country!"
"Oh he can play with MY female dog ... all the dogs love her"

No, lets not. :crazy2:

TRUTH:He needs someone who will protect him and his breed by being responsible with him. He needs a experienced owner who will not set him up to be the peckerhead he could be in certain circumstances with the before mentioned beings..kids cats or dogs...(Rocky will behave on leash in public around other dogs but don't let him "play in the yard" with any please dear god) He needs to eat Taste of the Wild Salmon kibble or something similar since we have determined he is allergic to grains, chicken, beef, and lamb. If you feed him grains, chicken, beef or lamb you will see his weight drop off, his skin and ears flare up and the hot volcanic poops will begin. So, salmon and potato for this guy. The same for treats... no treats with any of the stuff he is allergic to. I gave him a bully stick and his foster mom was cussing me for a week. :oops:

WHAT DO YOU GET OUT OF A DOG LIKE THIS? A devoted friend for life. I love this dog! I already have two females cut from the same cloth he is and then some. Compared to my bitches he is adoptable to the right person, they aren't. I can't take on one more. His foster mom has done a excellent job with him but he really needs his own home now. Yes, Rocky is looking for a miracle!
"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Jenny » March 21st, 2009, 1:05 am

He loooooves his foster mom, I wish she could keep him and so does she. She has a small child and other dogs.. she does excellent with him but its not the best life long term we agreed.

- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Marinepits » March 21st, 2009, 8:20 am

Look at that FACE! :shock: He is gorgeous!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby LMM » March 21st, 2009, 9:04 am

Oh man, I love him! :shock:
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby SisMorphine » March 21st, 2009, 9:06 am

What a cutie!!!
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Jenn » March 21st, 2009, 10:56 am

Good luck Rocky!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby demolitionic » March 23rd, 2009, 6:15 am

Oh holy crap on a freaking stick

Look at that face. :heartbeat:

I just had a seizure.
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby KJS » March 23rd, 2009, 12:51 pm

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! :(

I cant see! *sulks*
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby Jenny » March 23rd, 2009, 10:18 pm

KJS heres his petfinder page, maybe you can see his pic there.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12344089

I haven't spent a lot of time with him cuz I KNOW whats gonna happen if I do!~

I cannot have one more dog. :crazy2:
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby hugapitbull » March 24th, 2009, 5:43 am

What a beautiful boy. Hope he finds his forever home really soon.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » March 24th, 2009, 2:06 pm

Who is the breeder?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenny » March 25th, 2009, 3:15 pm

Thanks for the nudge Michelle, I needed to check Rocky's background.

Dan Greenwald from Great Lakes AB's is his breeder. I spoke with him and got some background ped info on Rocky. Dan told me a contract went with Rocky stating they would take him back from the buyer..he was ticked of course the guy never contacted him and Rocky went to live several places before getting to us. Didn't offer to take him now either but thats is fine with me.

Rocky is a 3/4 Johnson 1/4 Scott/Hines Hybrid. Some nice dogs in the back but IMO not novice owner material. Least I can back up my neurosis on experienced ownership now. :mrgreen: Give me a hines dog anyday... I love my Johnson girls but the lonnnnnng 4 year plus maturity time is really trying.

Rocky is just going on three ...
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 25th, 2009, 4:09 pm

He didn't even offer to take him back? niiiiice.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LMM » March 25th, 2009, 4:19 pm

I want that big smooshy face in a bad way :(
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BullyLady » March 26th, 2009, 12:50 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :heartbeat:

Must.... look....... awaaaaaay......... I WANT
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Jenny » March 26th, 2009, 2:21 pm

mnp13 wrote:He didn't even offer to take him back? niiiiice.

Nope no offer. He did ask right off if he was neutered lol.. probably would have taken him back in a heartbeat if he was still intact. :x I don't know that I would have given him back anyway.

Told me he would "ask around" if anyone is interested in him.

Makes me nervous to have a dog like him in foster but his gal fostering is pretty good thankfully and I trust her.. but even more nervous if I can't find the right home. Everyone I meet who is so good with the breed already has a half dozen of the darlings it seems.

I just love that big peckerhead. I can not keep ! no no no.
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 26th, 2009, 2:58 pm

Something in his pictures reminds me a lot of Riggs. And, no, I don't just mean the coloring (that's quite obvious)

It's the "look at me, I'm adorable" face and posture, but something in the eyes tell you that there is a lot to handle with this one.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby demolitionic » March 27th, 2009, 1:38 am

Isn't he like . . . contractually obligated to take him back?
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby mnp13 » March 27th, 2009, 10:27 am

demolitionic wrote:Isn't he like . . . contractually obligated to take him back?

You'd think, but:
Dan Greenwald from Great Lakes AB's is his breeder. I spoke with him and got some background ped info on Rocky. Dan told me a contract went with Rocky stating they would take him back from the buyer..he was ticked of course the guy never contacted him and Rocky went to live several places before getting to us. Didn't offer to take him now either but thats is fine with me.

Is usually null-and-void if the dog came from a crappy breeder in the first place. If they can't make money off of it, they don't want it back. If you force the issue, they take the dog back then dump it at a shelter.

For me, that is an absolute. If the breeder won't take a dog back - and keep it perminantly or rehome it - regardless of reproductive status they are a BYB. No ifs-and-or-buts about it. Make a dog and you better be able and willing to take it back.

ARGH. People piss me off.
Michelle

mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby LMM » March 27th, 2009, 10:51 am

For me, that is an absolute. If the breeder won't take a dog back - and keep it perminantly or rehome it - regardless of reproductive status they are a BYB. No ifs-and-or-buts about it. Make a dog and you better be able and willing to take it back.

ARGH. People piss me off.

Absolutely 100% +1 on this.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Next

Return to Rescue