Problems with California Natural?

Postby Natalie » March 26th, 2009, 9:00 pm

Hi all!

My dog suddenly does not want to eat California Natural Lamb and Rice. We are about halfway through the bag, and he just started refusing it. The other dog eats it just fine, but I think he would eat just about everything. This has happened before when they were eating Timberwolf Bison something-or-other. We took him in then for an x-ray, all he had in him was poop. I thought that bag had a funny smell, and I think this one does too, like skunk stank.

So! Has anyone had a problem with this food recently or heard anything about formula changes or recalls?
Natalie
Just Whelped

Postby Dog_Shrink » March 27th, 2009, 2:03 am

Just re-checked the recall lists the FDA puts out and there isn't anything new for California Naturals. They were never on the original list either. Check the ingredients see if theres any peanut products in it that might have passed the peanut butter recall. Usually if a dog goes off feed it's either the food (usually) unless the dog is symptomatic of some internal problem. Always check for internal parisites or worms first (sure you know that). then rule out other GI issues. Maybe try a different blend of California Naturals.

If you go to FDA.gov and type pet food recalls into the search bar it gives you all the updates. Nothing real recent tho.
Dog_Shrink
Just Whelped

Postby Malli » March 27th, 2009, 3:38 am

how much is your dog fed? Free fed, or offered portions?

Are there any other behavior changes or symptoms that your dog has? Drinking more water? Sleeping more? Laying down more?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Natalie » March 27th, 2009, 10:11 am

No other problems. He's pooping normally, checked his teeth in case it was the chewing that was bothering him, they look normal. He gets a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening. He has been eating rice, pumpkin and ground beef just fine. I think I'm going to pick up a small bag of something else and see if he will eat that. Maybe he just decided he's sick of it. He is kind of a weirdo...
Natalie
Just Whelped

Postby AllAmericanPUP » March 27th, 2009, 10:55 am

by switching his food every time he gets bored you're allowing him to be a picky eater.

put his food down, if he doesnt eat right then and there then pick it up and put it back in the bag, same thing at dinner. He'll catch on that if he doesn't eat the food that you offer then he doesn't get to eat. a healthy dog will not starve themselves, so even if it takes a couple missed meals he will get the picture.
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby Natalie » March 27th, 2009, 11:09 am

That does seem the logical route, except he's one of those dogs that pukes if he doesn't eat regularly. And we have white carpet. I'm not willing to voluntarily stain the carpet. This has happened once before about 2 years ago, and he's almost 6, so I wouldn't consider doing this twice in 6 years allowing him to become a picky eater.
Natalie
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » March 27th, 2009, 2:58 pm

It could just be a "skunked" bag as well -- it happens every-once-in-a-while, even with the Merrick I used to feed. I've been feeding Evangers for over two years now, and I bought a skunked bag around Christmas time (first time for Evangers). It smelled bad and "off" when I opened it, so I just brought it back to the store and they gave me another bag.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies