Here's the Thing About Cancer.....

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Marinepits » March 24th, 2009, 9:54 pm

I knew Indy had cancer when Dr Blabs first saw the lump on his leg. The look on her face told me before she ever said a word. I just KNEW like she just KNEW.

The cancer diagnosis was confirmed the next day via laboratory tests.

I knew he had cancer when he had the surgery to remove the hemangiopericytoma.

When he woke up after the surgery, the lump was 99.9% gone and Indy still had cancer.

I've known through the whole process of bandage changing that Indy has cancer.

Today I made the appointment for his first oncology visit. I told Steven at lunch that I put off making the call for almost 24 hours after Dr Blabs gave me the "all clear" because making that appointment makes the cancer REAL. Talking to the oncology office today was like getting hit in the face with a two-by-four.

Indy really does have cancer.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 24th, 2009, 9:58 pm

:hug3:

He also has a gigantic cheering section rooting for him every step of the way.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TheRedQueen » March 24th, 2009, 10:08 pm

yup...and he's got the bestest parents a dog could have! :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby nicole » March 24th, 2009, 10:51 pm

aww Jen, it really is hard to accept and I'm not quite sure that you'll ever get used to the idea...but I do hope that things continue to improve for Indy, and that one day you will be saying that he BEAT cancer.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » March 24th, 2009, 11:14 pm

See, that's the thing. I have accepted it. I accepted it when I KNEW. But every once-in-a-while, cancer likes to remind you that it's still there, just in case you forgot. And that's when you get punched in the junk.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Jenn » March 24th, 2009, 11:21 pm

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby CinderDee » March 24th, 2009, 11:28 pm

Marinepits wrote:See, that's the thing. I have accepted it. I accepted it when I KNEW. But every once-in-a-while, cancer likes to remind you that it's still there, just in case you forgot. And that's when you get punched in the junk.

I hear you, Jen. I felt that way last week when Kate went to the oncologist, but when he got the "all clear" I almost relaxed again.
Hang in there...Indy Trouble & Kato are warriors and will continue to kick cancer's ass! :flameT: :box: :chop:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Malli » March 25th, 2009, 3:03 am

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby iluvk9 » March 25th, 2009, 6:52 am

Don't give in to the negative thoughts. Stick them in the spam part of your brain.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » March 25th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Jen,
I, like many others, know exactly what you mean. There are steps in the journey that are just difficult to take. You know you must do it, you know it is real, but it just feels like you are in the twilight zone.

Just as Trouble's amputation was the first step, Indy's was the tumor removal, and now you must face step two. Don't look at oncology as a negative, look at it as the way to spend more productive days with your buddy. As with humans, cancer free is the term used to indicate there is no cancer today, the reality is that it can always return. You & Steve and Dee and Bob & I will live with this reality until the day our sweethearts leave us, but we cannot let it defeat us.

You've done a stellar job hanging in there, don't let this little bobble steer you off track. Hugs to you and Steve, and butt scratches to Indy.

....end of preaching. :shock:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » March 25th, 2009, 6:17 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Don't give in to the negative thoughts. Stick them in the spam part of your brain.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Patch O' Pits » March 25th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Marinepits wrote:See, that's the thing. I have accepted it. I accepted it when I KNEW. But every once-in-a-while, cancer likes to remind you that it's still there, just in case you forgot. And that's when you get punched in the junk.
Cancer sucks no matter how you look at it. But Love makes every day worthwhile. I think things like this help remind us how fragile and improtant every single day is....

Hugs to you and your baby!

Kick some cancer butt!
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby blabsforbullies » March 25th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Here's the thing about cancer.....

It will never take away our determination. :sumo: It will never take away all the memories and hope we have. :greenRibbon: It will never become our spirit. :angel2: And it will never win. Because we will always fight. You, Steve, Indy, Trouble & her humans, Kato & his.... as long as we can fight, it will never, ever win. Ever. :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

Here's the thing about friendship.....

We will always be bonded and we will always be there for each other. :hug3: No getting rid of all of us that love and care for you! :groupHug: No matter how mean you are.... :neener: (I'm teasing you!!!)

Ever step you take, I will take it with you. :rock: And every step you take, we are that much closer to kicking the S*#@ out of this disease! :biggun: :biggun: :biggun:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby hugapitbull » March 25th, 2009, 8:12 pm

Awesome, Dr Blabs. Made me cry....
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby madremissy » March 25th, 2009, 8:25 pm

x2 :( but also motivated. :D
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Marinepits » March 25th, 2009, 9:12 pm

blabsforbullies wrote: No matter how mean you are.... :neener:

Don't make me come over there. >(

Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby CinderDee » March 26th, 2009, 2:00 am

I think I love you, Dr. Blabs. :hug3:
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby AllAmericanPUP » March 28th, 2009, 10:06 am

:groupHug:
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Return to Canine Cancer