Please Vote-Pitbull facing death in Ontario, Canada

This is where to talk about Pit Bulls!

Postby Jp » April 20th, 2006, 5:52 pm

for not being spayed....it is making the news in Hamilton, ON. I know we can be critical of the owner but honestly, this poor dog is about to be euth'd...the real victim in all this crap.
There is a poll asking if a pitbull should be euth'd for not being spayed/neutered.
Vote here: http://www.900chml.com/news/news_local.cfm
Scroll down a little and on right hand side under "POLL" Vote!

Roy Green Show
Wednesday April 19

Today:
An exclusive talk with the mother of a 9 year old boy who is about to have his pet dog "executed" under Ontario's Pit Bull ban law.
An innocent dog caught between a family's financial challenge and a law virtually all all involved organizations argued against.

The issue will be raised in the Ontario legislature this afternoon by NDP MPP Peter Kormos.

Peter, the Mom and "others" will join us at 9 tomorrow morning. We'll even invite the Attorney General to participate.

Tune in....
Roy
http://www.900chml.com/station/roy_green_show.cfm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The story was even brought up in the Ontario Legislature by an Ontario MPP NDP Peter Kormos:
PIT BULL LEGISLATION

Mr. Peter Kormos (Niagara Centre): A question to the Attorney General: Earlier today on CHML's Roy Green Show, I spoke with a Hamilton mom, Lorinda Burke. Her nine-year-old son's dog, Jasper, an alleged pit bull, is about to be destroyed because she could not afford to have it spayed. Now she has obtained the money. She is prepared to pay for the operation for her family pet to be spayed, but animal control says that Jasper has to be killed anyway. What's the logic to that, when she's prepared to have the dog spayed in compliance with your legislation but animal control says, no, your law requires that it be put to death?

Hon. Michael Bryant (Attorney General) : The member knows that the implementation of the law and the application of the law is done at a local level. Mayor Di Ianni has said that the rules are the rules and the law is the law and that the law must be complied with. I am confident that they will resolve this at the local level.

We have rules in place. We have laws in place. People are aware of the laws. The law sets forth a process. There is a process. They'll make their application, make their submissions, and animal control and the local municipality will resolve this issue. The mayor has said that this is the way it ought to work, and that's the way it will work.

Mr. Kormos: Well, Attorney General, unfortunately, your law is so defective and so deficient in terms of advice to municipalities and support for them in the interpretation of the law that the law is applied helter-skelter, checkerboarded across the province.

The dog never bit anybody, never displayed any signs of aggressiveness -- no signs whatsoever of posing a danger -- yet it was an unspayed alleged pit bull; two years old, I'll tell you. Attorney General, you haven't exactly shown a great deal of proficiency at picking them out yourself, have you?

A pit bull, a dog that has caused no harm; a nine-year-old boy's pet, a family pet. The woman couldn't afford to have the dog spayed; now she can. Why won't you and your ministry permit this woman to comply with the law, have the dog spayed and return this pet to its owner, a nine-year-old kid?

Hon. Mr. Bryant: Again, the member knows that this is a matter that is going to be dealt with by the municipality locally. The legislation, on which we undertook extensive debate in this Legislature, is really the most comprehensive dangerous dog legislation of its kind on the continent. The very concern that the member raises, the patchwork concern that he raises -- in fact, that's why we brought in province-wide legislation. Instead of having one municipality have one set of rules and another municipality have another set of rules, we brought in province-wide legislation.

The member will know that in the Niagara region Lylie Brook Bowman says she's still haunted by a pit bull attack last spring that left her with permanent nerve damage in her hand and seriously injured her dog. She said, "I was really traumatized. I can't begin to tell you how scared I am to walk my dog down the street."

It's because of people like this from the Niagara region that we brought forward the legislation. It is legislation about public safety. It is clear legislation. It is in the hands of local municipalities, and they will implement it. I'm confident they'll implement it appropriately.

http://www.ontla.on.ca/hansard/house_de ... P453_87886
Jp
Just Whelped

Postby cheekymunkee » April 20th, 2006, 5:54 pm

Voted!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby mnp13 » April 20th, 2006, 7:11 pm

I voted, and we are winning.

it looks like the interviewer is on our side as well.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Fear_the_Sheeple » April 20th, 2006, 9:08 pm

Well, Attorney General, unfortunately, your law is so defective and so deficient in terms of advice to municipalities and support for them in the interpretation of the law that the law is applied helter-skelter, checkerboarded across the province.

:ROFL2: :ROFL2: :ROFL2:

That's awesome!
Fear_the_Sheeple
Enlightened Bully

Postby Jenn » April 20th, 2006, 9:19 pm

I voted too, the "no" is definitely winning :)
Jenn
undecided

Postby Asta » April 21st, 2006, 6:28 am

I cant see where to vote :( But will atleast be keeping fingers and toes crossed, that is ridicolous and very sad if it goes through!

Åsa
Asta
Welcome Wagger

Postby Jp » April 21st, 2006, 11:23 am

Listen to what the Radio host Roy Green thinks:
http://www.900chml.com/station/roy_gree ... w=1&arch=1

"You have lost in the court of public opinion Mr. Bryant, I suspect you will also lose in a real courtroom next month"
Jp
Just Whelped

Postby Romanwild » April 22nd, 2006, 9:04 am

I don't think there is a politician I dis-like more then Mr. Bryant. :nono:
Romanwild
I live here

Postby PittieLove » April 22nd, 2006, 11:03 am

why is it "dog" and not PIT freaking BULL!!!!!!!!!!
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Postby PittieLove » April 22nd, 2006, 11:04 am

Romanwild wrote:I don't think there is a politician I dis-like more then Mr. Bryant. :nono:

seriously....
Bulldog Pride.
PittieLove
Confident Young Bully

Return to Pit Bull Talk