Mange

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Playaplease813 » March 18th, 2009, 10:11 pm

how much does a mange case usually run?
Playaplease813
Just Whelped

Postby Marinepits » March 18th, 2009, 10:18 pm

Depends on which type of mange and which treatment is used, plus the severity of the case.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Playaplease813 » March 18th, 2009, 10:36 pm

okay well I will have that info on here tomorrow and pictures I will need lots of help on what to do. the story is my friend bought an American Bully a while back he is 2 months younger then Leo and he has mange and it hasnt been taken care of for about 1-2months he doesnt have the money to get it treated I told him before he bought the pup it was a bad idea in the first place but noone never listens to me "so what can you do" .... I havent seen him in a while and will be heading there tomorrow after school to check him out
Playaplease813
Just Whelped

Postby Jenn » March 18th, 2009, 10:39 pm

Poor guy.. The first thing is to get him to a vet to be diagnosed.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby kera09 » March 18th, 2009, 11:01 pm

poor puppy!!! when i first got lulu from a shelter she had mange (the non contagious kind) the vet wanted to dip her i refused. (her mange wasnt to bad about 5 spots on her body. the vet gave me a shampoo to use at home sulf oxydex. bathing her twice a week with that and a good food she was cured within 2 weeks! its always a bad idea to get a puppy (especially a sick pup) when money isnt to good! i hope the little guy does ok!! get him to the vet asap!! good luck to your friend
duge, ava, lulu and martini's momma :)
kera09
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby LMM » March 19th, 2009, 7:43 am

I've treated demodex mange very cheaply but yea, it depends on which one. And it needs to actually be diagnosed.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BrindleLuv » March 19th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Heres the pup Stevo was talking about.
1st post.

Pups name is Mack, poor guy. :( I feel like a total jackass.ImageImageImageImage
BrindleLuv
Just Whelped

Postby LMM » March 19th, 2009, 1:09 pm

I'm not vet tech but that looks sarcoptic-y. Any chance the pup can be seen by a vet who can do a skin scraping? That's the only way to know for sure.

I do have a holistic remedy that works with both types. Diet is a key factor in improving the immune system as well. What kind of food does the pup eat?
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BrindleLuv » March 19th, 2009, 1:12 pm

just got off the phone with 2 vets, they both said find a benzo peroxide shampoo- lather up, wait 15 minutes, wash off, repeat twice a week.
BrindleLuv
Just Whelped

Postby LMM » March 19th, 2009, 1:14 pm

Yea you can try that. I use a peroxide, water, borax treatment that does pretty much the same thing the shampoo does.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BrindleLuv » March 19th, 2009, 1:16 pm

kibble and bits brand. im pretty sure, threw the bag away.
BrindleLuv
Just Whelped

Postby LMM » March 19th, 2009, 1:18 pm

You might want to look into a better brand.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby BrindleLuv » March 19th, 2009, 1:19 pm

I tried the borax mix, for about 2 weeks. when i apply the pimple seem to just dry out and peel away. but still seems to spread day by day.
i bet im going to catch a lot of S**T for this

LMM wrote:Yea you can try that. I use a peroxide, water, borax treatment that does pretty much the same thing the shampoo does.
BrindleLuv
Just Whelped

Postby LMM » March 19th, 2009, 1:44 pm

The borax solution should be done 1 - 2x a week over a 6 week period. In addition, a raw diet should really be implemented. The faster the immune system recovers, the faster he will heal.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby LMM » March 19th, 2009, 1:55 pm

Also, the borax solution should NOT be rinsed off.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Marinepits » March 19th, 2009, 2:35 pm

Has the dog been to a vet to be properly diagnosed? He needs a skin scraping done ASAP.

Sarcoptic mange is highly contagious and spreads species to species as well. If it's sarcoptic, odds are very good the humans and other animals in the house would have it.

My best educated guess would be generalized demodex, but again that needs to be diagnosed by a vet in order to get the right treatment underway.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Marinepits » March 19th, 2009, 2:38 pm

Looking at it again, and reading about the crusty pimples, the dog probably has a bacterial skin infection going on in addition to the demodex. He'll need antibiotics to clear it up.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blabsforbullies » March 19th, 2009, 8:08 pm

I agree that is "appears" to be a bacterial infection on top of demodex. But, the only way to tell is to have him checked. :|

Localized demodex can sometimes be treated topically. In rare cases, some that are localized will resolve on it's own (if there are one or two spots). But generalized demodex is a severe problem. :sad2: Not saying this to scare you, but I have seen puppies that have nearly perished because the demodex just continues to suppress the immune system and then bacteria take hold. If there is enough access, the bacteria can become systemic (thru cuts and wounds). :(

I'm not going to get into a food debate here, but I will say that changing the diet will not boost his immune system right away (eventually, it will absolutely do wonders for your dog in so many ways :wink: ). Board certified dermatologists will tell you that you must be on a diet a MINIMUM of 8 weeks for a change to be noticed. More recently, many have ammended that to 12 weeks. So, although I agree a better diet is only going to help, it will likely not make a major impact for several weeks to months.

I am sure $$ is tight, as it is for all of us these days. But, honestly, the puppy needs to be seen by a veterinarian so that a proper diagnosis and treatment plan can be established. :mrgreen:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Malli » March 20th, 2009, 4:05 am

What Blabs said ;)

And unfortunately, in this case, the longer you wait, the worse this is going to be and the harder to fix.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Jenny » March 21st, 2009, 11:14 am

I agree! the pup NEEDS to have a skin scrape to determine whats happening and if you wait you risk a staph infection on the dogs skin which could move to the bloodstream and organs and be fatal if left untreated.

We recently had a call to check out a naked and scabby westie terrier... we "strongly encouraged" the owner to take the dog for a vet check.

One thing to mention... If you take the dog for a scrape DO NOT BATH THE DOG FOR SEVERAL DAYS BEFORE THE SCRAPE!

It turned out to be allergies and resulting bacterial/yeast infection for the westie. No mange mites of either kind.

The vet says it is probably combo of food and flea allergy.

Gave the owner a good food salmon and potato of course.. no grains to try for a month. The vet gave her Keto-Cholr shampoo to use twice a week to start then once a week.. its been a month now and the little dog looks so good, skin is clear and has lots of new hair coming in.

Also, allergy related progress takes a good month to see.. don't get discouraged. The dog needs to detox all the allergens out of its system and by a month you should see a huge difference if it is allergy related.
"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health