she doesn't like the kiddo...

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby DownAndOut » March 18th, 2009, 2:34 pm

My girlie is just turning 2 and is fearful of my 1 year old son. We started seeing her fear aggression come into play when he gained some mobility. It has its peaks and valleys but there is an overall fearfulness about her. Sometimes we get stares...other times we get growls.

When he was in the walker, we hired a trainer to come to our house and work with us. She suggested many forms of treating to help adjust her to his new found movement. We would place treats below and next to his walker, play hide and seek with treats and kongs and other fun things in his bedroom, and even treated her for being around him and looking at him in a positive manner. We have seen some improvement but for the most part, it's still the same scenerio.

She is tethered inside the house at all times and there is a baby gate that seperates them just in case. Sometimes she seems like she wants to be around him and play and eat his little puff cereal that he drops on the floor but most of the time it is NOT this way. He was within 8 or so feet of her the other night and she growled, barked, and snapped...thankfully they had no chance of getting near each other...nor do they ever. I'm still constantly nervous about this though. I feel like she feels neglected at times because he gets the living room to play with his toys and she's confined to the kitchen or her own room, and tethered at all times.

We ended up parting ways with our trainer because she didn't seem like the right fit for us. Does anyone know of any other trainers or methods that we can use in order to move forward and keep progressing? I live in MA...
DownAndOut
Just Whelped

Postby mnp13 » March 18th, 2009, 2:39 pm

Where in Mass?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby SisMorphine » March 18th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Yup where in MA? I know many of the trainers on the North Shore and would be more than happy to get you in contact with someone who may be a better fit.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby DownAndOut » March 18th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Worcester, MA.

I looked at the other thread for recommended trainers and I see there is someone in Danvers but that's over an hour away and I'm hoping to find someone closer...and hopefully someone who can do in home training as our issues lie inside the house...
DownAndOut
Just Whelped

Postby SisMorphine » March 18th, 2009, 2:51 pm

Alright let me ask around and I'll see if I know of anyone in Worcester who can help.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Return to Training & Behavior