Missy's Gotty needs help!!

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby iluvk9 » March 17th, 2009, 5:40 pm

He is laying down like he had a long day playing. 8)

Gums are fine, as is his tongue. No stumbling or disorientation.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » March 17th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Often, after making them puke everything up, dogs will want to nap, although I've never had one eat an entire container of nicotine containing substances....so!
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 17th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Damn dogs!!! I hope he is ok.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby iluvk9 » March 17th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Missy would like to thank everyone for their good thoughts, concern and advice.

I asked her to take a photo of the puke. :dance:
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby airwalk » March 17th, 2009, 5:48 pm

Why not, heck we've seen poop, tumors, surgical sites, bites....what's a little puke amongst friends.
airwalk
I live here

Postby Marinepits » March 17th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Have her call the vet and ask if there's anything else she should do right now. Or if he should be fed (and fed what food) tonight.

Of course, if he starts acting "wrong", becomes disoriented or starts losing muscle coordination, or looks like he's in pain (whining, hunched back, can't move or moves painfully/slowly) she has to take him to the e-vet immediately.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blabsforbullies » March 17th, 2009, 7:07 pm

I would recommend calling animal poison control. You have to pay a fee, but you just can't go wrong with getting that piece of information & peace of mind. :wink: They will tell you the long term side effects (if any) and what EXACTLY you have to do with respect to veterinary care. I like this one... (888) 426-4435.

It may not be the wrong thing to call them even now. They can tell you what to look for tonight and you will get a case number that you can take with you, should you need to make a trip to the ER clinic.... :neutral:

I hope everything is OK! :sad2:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby iluvk9 » March 17th, 2009, 7:13 pm

Thank you, Dr. Blabs. I will pass that number along to her.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby hugapitbull » March 17th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Hope he's feeling better soon....damn dogs :nono:
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby blabsforbullies » March 17th, 2009, 7:35 pm

iluvk9 wrote:Thank you, Dr. Blabs. I will pass that number along to her.

No problem. :groupHug: Sorry I didn't get "here" sooner :rolleyes2: ... stuck at work! Or as my hubbie calls it, I was down with "O.P.P." (other people's pets). Funny, isn't he?!?!? :crazy2:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby madremissy » March 17th, 2009, 8:06 pm

First and foremost let me THANK everyone for their help. Especially Joyce. I would have had a heart attack if I wouldn't have been able to talk to someone. My cord on my computer is broken and Travis tried to fix it again but with no avail. It is finally unfixable. I am now on Bristol's computer.
As of right now Gotty is acting completely normal. He did take a good nap on the porch in the sun after the puking and I just let him out. He took off around the yard in full zoomie fashion. He has pottied and now he is back on the porch waiting on his Daddy to come home. I refuse to let him go back upstairs until we have a "meeting".
Josh is trying to quit smoking. He has some gum and the commit things. I assume that the kids did not think about making sure that Mister Gotty could not find these things. I had just got back from taking a very long walk with Kinzyl when I was walking up the drive and Bristol text me. She had left to go pick up her nephew from school and when she returned she let him out of the kennel. She came down stairs and got something to drink. When she went back up he ran into his kennel. The tube thingy that that committ comes in was empty and chewed on. So by the time I got the peroxide into him it wasn't 15 minutes. It took him a while to throw up but he finally did.
I did miss the picture of him puking because I was texting Joyce at that moment. I then went and dug in the puke to see what treasures I would find. I found the cap to the tube and some paper. No whole losengers but it was very gooey. He had enough peroxide in him to really make things fizzle. He ate a lot of grass a few leaves and some pinestraw. He drank some water so it was GROSSSS. I kept following him around the yard and about 10 minutes later he puked again. This time he chose to go behind a tree in the woods so I went in their with all the briars and look at it. It was foamy and slimey. Nothng of substance though. I let him go some more but he just kind upchucked a little. He then came on the porch and I put up the gates and he took a nap in the sun.
I THINK he is ok now. I only fed him a little a bit ago and I will feed him the rest later.
Thank you again for all the help. I swear this dog is going to be the death of me.
I keep telling myself my vacation is only 10 days away. Tomorrow I will start counting the hours.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Jenn » March 17th, 2009, 8:17 pm

Joyce, you may wanna call instead of texting back all the following information... I just took out some important parts. The lozenges are nicotine, which is toxic for dogs.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/nicotine-t ... page1.aspx

The toxic level of nicotine in dogs is 5 milligrams of nicotine per pound of body weight. In dogs, 10 mg/kg is potentially lethal.

What To Watch For

The clinical signs of toxicity are dependent upon the amount and type of nicotine ingested relative to your dogs body weight. The signs of toxicity are dose-dependent and generally begin within one hour of ingestion. Many dogs will vomit naturally after ingestion.

When large amounts are consumed, the effects can be life-threatening, but even small amounts can induce symptoms. Without treatment, nicotine toxicity can cause paralysis of the breathing muscles and your dog may die from an inability to breathe, sometimes within a few hours. If your pet exhibits any of the following symptoms, call your veterinarian.

Tremors

Weakness

Stumbling and/or incoordination

Depression

Hyperactivity

Lethargy (in high doses)

Fast breathing or difficulty breathing

Drooling

Dilated pupils

Vomiting

Diarrhea

Possible seizures

Collapse

Either bradycardia (slow heart rate), tachycardia (high heart rate) and/or cardiac arrhythmias

Induction of vomiting if you witnessed the nicotine ingestion and the pet is alert. Ask your veterinarian for advice. It is recommended to NOT use antacids as the acid in the stomach helps decrease the absorption of nicotine.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby Jenn » March 17th, 2009, 8:21 pm

:doh: Sorry, while I was searching ya'll posted, and then you were here, Missy. It didn't show me any posts until after I hit submit... :| I didn't want to scare you, but that website had a lot of helpful information.

I'm sure he'll be fine, but I was just trying to find something worth using/going off of.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby TheRedQueen » March 17th, 2009, 8:26 pm

I'm just coming in to this...nothing to add, but I've got fingers crossed that he continues to feel better. :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby madremissy » March 17th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Jenn wrote::doh: Sorry, while I was searching ya'll posted, and then you were here, Missy. It didn't show me any posts until after I hit submit... :| I didn't want to scare you, but that website had a lot of helpful information.

I'm sure he'll be fine, but I was just trying to find something worth using/going off of.

Thanks Jenn. I am hoping that he got all of the stuff out of his system. This happened at 3:30 and it is now 8:30. Would he be showing signs now? Great now I am going to worry some more :crazy2: If he and Kinzyl would get along fine in the house I would just bring him down here but they are having words about the kitchen area lately.

I KNOW MY KIDS ARE EING VERY IRRESPONSIBLE.
madremissy

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 17th, 2009, 9:10 pm

Good lord, I leave the house and come back to this????
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby hugapitbull » March 17th, 2009, 9:17 pm

madremissy wrote:I KNOW MY KIDS ARE EING VERY IRRESPONSIBLE.

Don't go there, Missy. Sometimes even when we think we're being careful, we get that wake up call that tells us we aren't. Trouble ate an unknown number of herbal diet caplets at one point, took them out of a purse in the closet. Who would ever think a dog would go rumbling through a closet to find a self-made 'toy''? She was introduced to hydrogen peroxide also.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby mnp13 » March 17th, 2009, 9:19 pm

I hope he's feeling better!!

I have about 8 million computer cords and cables of various types. What do you need?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby airwalk » March 17th, 2009, 9:22 pm

This is just a guess on my part but I would still have the kids watch him closely for several more hours, just in case he has a delayed reaction. I'm thinking since they didn't pick up the lozenges...then they get to lose the sleep, right Mom???
airwalk
I live here

Postby madremissy » March 17th, 2009, 9:29 pm

Josh is still not home. Bristol has been sick and she is not in the best of moods. She and Mckinlee are upstairs sleeping. I put Gotty in his kennel upstairs and now I am thinking I should go get him and put him in Kinzyl's kennel so I can watch him tonight. Josh is almost home. He had to work in Alabama today.

Shanna, I know accidents can happen. I agree but I think they need a wake up call.

Michelle. I have a Dell Inspirion 5100. My dad is trying to find one on the internet but is having a hard time.
madremissy

PreviousNext

Return to Nutrition & Health