One of Oprah's New Pups Dies

Postby Marinepits » March 17th, 2009, 5:24 pm

http://www.peoplepets.com/news/pets-in- ... -another/1

We were devastated to hear this news about the new cocker spaniel puppies Oprah adopted just the other week: Ivan, one of two puppies she adopted recently from PAWS Shelter in Chicago has died and the other, Sadie, is currently being treated as a precaution. Oprah proudly announced the adoption of Sadie on her show March 6 and contemplated on-air adopting one of her three brothers still awaiting homes at PAWS. The media mogul brought home Sadie’s brother Ivan, but the puppy came down with a deadly virus called Parvo last Wednesday and died, said Dr. Jean Dodds, the veterinarian who supplied the plasma, which is also being used to treat Sadie since she was exposed.

A spokesperson for Winfrey confirmed to PEOPLE Pets that the puppy died over the weekend, and added that Sadie, “is getting stronger.” The remaining puppies from the litter are doing fine, according to Angela Brown who rescued the puppies’ mother, Lizzy Ann.

“It was just a little bit too late. All the veterinary community got together to save his life,” Dr. Dodds said of Ivan. “The puppy didn’t make it, but he’s teaching others how important this is to get vaccinated at the right times.”

Dr. Dodds, who founded Hemopet, a non-profit animal blood bank, said that she thinks the shelter and vets did everything right, but that Ivan was exposed between two critical shots. Puppies (and unvaccinated adults) around the country are being hit with a new strain of the disease called Canine Parvovirus Type 2c. Dr. Dobbs said that shelters often hold puppies in isolation, but that Parvo “is everywhere; it’s like the flu.”

Because Sadie was exposed to Ivan before her second shot, she is also being treated with “plasma from hyper immunized healthy dogs” as a precaution until she is old enough to get her second crucial shot, Dr. Dodds said. A puppy with Parvo typically becomes lethargic, refuses to eat, then suffers explosive and often bloody diarrhea that has a distinct smell vets recognize, Dr. Dodds said.

The PAWS Shelter has not returned calls. Sadie and Ivan were part of a litter of 11 puppies born to a dog rescued from Greenwood, South Carolina by a woman attending her mother’s funeral. Animal lover Winfrey’s Golden Retriever Gracie choked to death on a ball in 2007 and her cocker spaniel Sophie died about a year ago at age 13 of kidney failure.

According to the American Veterinary Medicine Association, the disease is often fatal despite aggressive treatment. The hardy virus can be spread dog-to-dog, through feces, people or their shoes or clothes or just the environment.
Carol Vinzant
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » March 17th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Poor pup. :( I didn't know she adopted from a shelter.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby CinderDee » March 17th, 2009, 5:53 pm

How sad. :( She had the new puppy on her show earlier in the month, Joyce.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby airwalk » March 17th, 2009, 6:23 pm

Puppies (and unvaccinated adults) around the country are being hit with a new strain of the disease called Canine Parvovirus Type 2c.

I'm very sorry for the pupy and Oprah...but the above statement is very frightening.
airwalk
I live here

Postby CinderDee » March 17th, 2009, 6:25 pm

airwalk wrote:
Puppies (and unvaccinated adults) around the country are being hit with a new strain of the disease called Canine Parvovirus Type 2c.

I'm very sorry for the pupy and Oprah...but the above statement is very frightening.

Yes it is.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby call2arms » March 17th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Type 2c has been around since 2006 at least, it's the second most common strain of parvo after 2b. According to AVMA, regular parvo vaccines (aimed mostly at type 2b) don't ''officially cover'' 2c but usually the antibodies produced by the immune reaction when vaccinated also react against type 2c, so normally we're covered! :)
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Marinepits » March 17th, 2009, 7:15 pm

Look at you! Showing off what you've learned in school! :wink: :giggle:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby iluvk9 » March 17th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Marinepits wrote:Look at you! Showing off what you've learned in school! :wink: :giggle:

I was thinking the same thing! Our little girl has grown up to be a quite the smartie pants!!!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Marinepits » March 17th, 2009, 7:21 pm

I'm so proud. *sniff*
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby call2arms » March 17th, 2009, 7:58 pm

:dance: try googling parvo type 2c, the avma link is the second one... no credit! :wink:

BUT - I am now able to handle crazy hens. Now that's skill... lol
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby madremissy » March 17th, 2009, 8:09 pm

RIP Ivan :(
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » March 18th, 2009, 3:48 am

yep, sometimes it doesn't matter how much money you have to throw at an illness.

I hope Oprah and the shelter learned a lesson here.

I'm surprised that they weren't fully vaccinated before being allowed IN the shelter. :|

RIP little puppy.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Return to All the news that's fit to print