Barrier aggression/protection

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby Libby » March 16th, 2009, 2:55 pm

I wasn't quite certain what this would fall under lol

I take the dogs with me most places I go, so long as its not sweltering or freezing out. Gypsy has always been protective in the car. She is silent until someone actually walks up to the window and looks in or reaches in. If I am in the car, she is fine. If I'm not, she barks and stands up. I don't find this innapropriate.

Umah has always been...not welcoming, but not unfriendly towards people. She would watch, but make no moves one way or the other.

Recently she has started displaying more protective/aggressive behaviours. I honestly don't mind if they bark when people walk too close to the truck. But Umah has been taking it a step further. She will go ballistic on the window, snarling and barking and getting VERY serious, if a person so much as walks by the truck within ten feet.

Due to her breed, I'm giving her more slack than I normally would.

How can I teach her that barking is ok, but the fireworks aren't necessary? She only does it when I'm not in the vehicle, so I'm not quite sure what to do.

Umah is a German Shepherd Dog, for those of you who might not know lol

Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice!

Libby
Love me, Love my dogs.
Libby
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 16th, 2009, 9:02 pm

I haven't the foggiest idea, but thought I'd bump this up for you so the training people can see it. :wink:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby maberi » March 17th, 2009, 11:15 am

Can you crate them when you aren't in the car?

I would leave Earl uncrated in my car because he is a mellow aloof Lab but would not feel comfortable leaving Kayden in the car uncrated.

I did it once in the past and he tore up half my truck and honestly if he was provoked, I would worry about him breaking a window.

Right now every time your crew barks and people walk away they are reinforcing that aggressive behavior.
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby mnp13 » March 17th, 2009, 11:40 am

maberi wrote:Right now every time your crew barks and people walk away they are reinforcing that aggressive behavior.

Excellent point, and that also causes it to escalate. It doesn't take all that much to break a car window, Connor broke my windshield with his forehead and barely noticed.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby katiek0417 » March 17th, 2009, 12:21 pm

mnp13 wrote:
maberi wrote:Right now every time your crew barks and people walk away they are reinforcing that aggressive behavior.

Excellent point, and that also causes it to escalate. It doesn't take all that much to break a car window, Connor broke my windshield with his forehead and barely noticed.

I agree - 100%...and when a dog gets all ramped up like that...you never know if they're going to get to tearing things up....I've got mals, and I couldn't trust them in my car if they were getting ramped up!
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » March 17th, 2009, 12:28 pm

I agree with everyone else.

Inara is extremely crate aggressive/barrier aggressive...and she gets crated while in the car...with a blanket covering her crate also. It cuts back on her barking...which is awful when there are people outside the van (even if we're in the van). I just would fear not only would the problem escalate...but I'd be afraid someone would stupidly stick their hand in and get hurt. She's always put well inside the van, so even if the back doors are open, people can't get to her easily.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » March 17th, 2009, 1:17 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:I agree with everyone else.

Inara is extremely crate aggressive/barrier aggressive...and she gets crated while in the car...with a blanket covering her crate also. It cuts back on her barking...which is awful when there are people outside the van (even if we're in the van). I just would fear not only would the problem escalate...but I'd be afraid someone would stupidly stick their hand in and get hurt. She's always put well inside the van, so even if the back doors are open, people can't get to her easily.

It amazes me how stupid people are lol. I have this problem with my dogs...even with the "Caution Police K9" stickers on the truck, people still try to reach in and touch my dogs... :rolleyes2:

However, I don't cover my crates...mainly b/c the dogs more likely to bark at people are also likely to pull something in...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby TheRedQueen » March 17th, 2009, 1:20 pm

katiek0417 wrote:However, I don't cover my crates...mainly b/c the dogs more likely to bark at people are also likely to pull something in...

Sawyer does this at flyball...he pulled his entire Service Dog cape and harness into his crate last time...along with his blanket that was covering the crate. :nono:

But Inara does not pull stuff in, thankfully... :smileUp: She does have a few good habits. lol
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby katiek0417 » March 17th, 2009, 2:26 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Sawyer does this at flyball...he pulled his entire Service Dog cape and harness into his crate last time...along with his blanket that was covering the crate. :nono:

:o :shock:

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby ellie@ny » March 17th, 2009, 5:41 pm

All of mines are protective in the car, when left alone, which I don't mind at all,hopefully will drive away the "bad" people...
A month ago I was in a big hurry and I really had to take the car to the car wash/after the snow melted/,so I stopped on the way back from a walk with the dogs.
The dogs were crated of course,but the guy didn't wan't to take the car first,cause Nico was giving him a nasty look,and Milo was barking his head off...Then I convinced him to not to worry,they can't get out.
I never seen my car getting ready that fast for sure!I might do that next time again.. :devil:
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Return to Training & Behavior