I'm getting Goose (Lucy) tested...

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby Moe » March 10th, 2009, 11:08 pm

Im trying to get the money together to get Goose tested, I think she has tyhroid issues...plus I think she has hip issues, which I am going to get looked at also...She has been on a diet since Dec...She has not lost any weight...ugh..I will let you all know when I get the tests done, I am hoping to get the cash together by next week...
She is having a hard time walking and favors her back legs, she walks like she has hip issues...all at 1.5 years old :( I am hoping its just thyroid and nothing to serious I will keep you all posted...
You laugh because I'm different...........
I laugh cause I just farted!
Moe
The Dog Whisperererer

Postby SisMorphine » March 10th, 2009, 11:21 pm

Crossing my fingers for Lucy Goose!!

* Totally random sidenote: when I had my fake bachelorette party my name was Lucy and I was marrying a guy named Jimmy Goosey, thus my married name would be Lucy Goosey . . . no lie . . .and no one at any of the 3 bars caught on . . . not even the guys who checked my ID!!*
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby Moe » March 10th, 2009, 11:26 pm

Thanks for the crossed fingers for Goose...

And LMFAO @ the Lucy Goosey thing..OMG that was funny!
Moe
The Dog Whisperererer

Postby Malli » March 11th, 2009, 3:59 am

Does she have any other symptoms? How is her level of activity? Does she sleep or seem tired a lot? Any hair loss?

Is her front end lameness kind of difficult to pin point? Is it worse if she is consistently more active?

Maybe its not as bad as it seems, try to stay positive (wich I know is very hard) ;) :hug3:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Moe » March 11th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Malli wrote:Does she have any other symptoms? How is her level of activity? Does she sleep or seem tired a lot? Any hair loss?

Is her front end lameness kind of difficult to pin point? Is it worse if she is consistently more active?

Maybe its not as bad as it seems, try to stay positive (wich I know is very hard) ;) :hug3:

No hairloss, but she does sleeep a lot, it is worse if she is more active, but it varies from day to day..She has difficulties going up steps, losing her footing easily in the back end...I did not notice any lamemess in the front end, it seems to be all in the back...She is constantly looking for food...When she runs she kinda bunny hops in the back...Im hoping it is not as bad as it seems, but I will let you all know when I get the tests done...I am trying to stay positive...and yes it is hard... :(
Moe
The Dog Whisperererer

Postby call2arms » March 11th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Bunny hops are pretty classical of HD... Jessie does it occasionally when she runs and has mild HD. Hopefully Lucy's is not bad and is only made worse bu the weight which will come off eventually...

Good luck!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Malli » March 11th, 2009, 2:16 pm

there are at least 2 different supplements I have experience with that I think may help. I think if you can get Lucy swimming (once she's been seen at the vet, of course ;) ), and it is HD, then I really think getting her to swim will help. It will build up her muscles (without impact like walking and fetch have) around her hip joints, the muscles will hold the loose sockets together. Getting weight off her (when you figure everything out) will help, too. Have you thought about a Joint Diet?

I'm sorry, I know these things always come at the worst times.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Moe » March 11th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Malli wrote:there are at least 2 different supplements I have experience with that I think may help. I think if you can get Lucy swimming (once she's been seen at the vet, of course ;) ), and it is HD, then I really think getting her to swim will help. It will build up her muscles (without impact like walking and fetch have) around her hip joints, the muscles will hold the loose sockets together. Getting weight off her (when you figure everything out) will help, too. Have you thought about a Joint Diet?

I'm sorry, I know these things always come at the worst times.

Well she has been on a diet since she came in Dec. and she hasnt lost much if any weight at all, I knew all that weight is no good for her..I know swimming is good for HD (my first rotti had mild HD) and I took him swimming all the time...What is joint diet? Is it a supplement or food? I am trying to work my ass off to get the money to come in to get her to the vet...Im really pissed, because this smurfing asshole stiffed me after I painted his motorcycle, telling me he could not pay the full amount AFTER I painted it...Thats a long story in its self, but that money was going to go to Goose for all her testings...Now he is doing payments, and if he does not pay up, I will take a smurfing crowbar to his bike! Yeah I dont play around, because this is money that could have gone for all her testing..motherfucker!!!

Anyway...I am trying to get the funds together to get all this done at once..and to see what the outcome will be for Goose...I am hoping it is good...
Moe
The Dog Whisperererer

Postby blabsforbullies » March 11th, 2009, 6:13 pm

:wave2: Just a side note.... dogs that have an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) generally have a poor appetite, not an increased one :popcorn: (in cases of an over active thyroid, or hyperthyroidism, you might see that, but that is FAR more common in cats and actually fairly rare in poochies :wink: ). Not that it is diagnostic, but my guess is that Goose may be more inactive if there is, in fact, some type of joint disease or dysplasia. :| It is always good to rule that stuff out, but keep your chin up and hopefully it will turn out better than expected! :groupHug:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Return to Nutrition & Health