*Updated New Pics 4/12* Bandage Change Process

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Marinepits » March 7th, 2009, 6:07 pm

Disclaimer: DO NOT attempt to do this yourself! It may appear easy, but it isn't. If the bandage is wrapped too tightly, you will cut off circulation to the body part and end up with MAJOR problems. If the bandage is applied too loosely, it will fall off and be of no use, and possibly cause greater damage to the wound site. Vet wrap will also slowly tighten up after it is applied. It may seem to be "just right" when first applied, then become too tight over the course of several hours, and again that will lead to MAJOR problems. See a professional if this type of bandage is required.

***WARNING -- surgery wound pics ahead!***

*sigh* Here we go again.

Removing inside layers of old bandage (the brown stain is a bit of seepage from the wound)

Here's the beginning of the wound

Removing the last stirrup

Mom, I really want to lick it.

And the wound itself. The dark red is the granulation tissue that is replacing the removed tumor. The white specks in the granulation tissue is the skin starting to regrow. The stitches will probably stay in for a bit longer.

A non-stick pad is added over the wound, then the site is wrapped in bandaging. The long hanging pieces of tape are called "stirrups", and they are attached directly to the skin. Once the bandaging is complete, the stirrups will be folded back over the bandage and will prevent the bandage from falling off.

Are we done yet?

More bandage material

Wrapping around the foot (his nails are peeling because they've been wrapped up for a long time).

After the first layer of bandage is done, the splint is added. It prevents Indy from bending his ankle and splitting the wound open.

More bandage material is added to hold the splint in place.

Now a layer of gauze is added to hold all the bandage material in place.

The stirrups are folded up and stuck to the bandage.

Once the stirrups are fastened, the vet wrap is applied in layers.

How about now?

Once the hearts are added, we're done!
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 7th, 2009, 6:20 pm

Wow - what a process. :shock:

Indy looks so patient.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Malli » March 7th, 2009, 6:22 pm

aw, what a good boy, Indy! :)

His foot definitely looks a bit pruney-can't be helped-, but healthy tissue definitely :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » March 7th, 2009, 6:27 pm

From beginning to end, it takes about ten minutes, depending on how much we're gossiping, LOL. Dr Blabs is FAST with that bandage material. :shock:
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby madremissy » March 7th, 2009, 6:33 pm

That was hard to look at because it looks painful. :( But I see now why some much detail goes into the bandaging process. He is being such a good boy thru all this.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Marinepits » March 7th, 2009, 7:09 pm

madremissy wrote:That was hard to look at because it looks painful.

It does, doesn't it? It's hard to tell if it really bothers him because he can't tell us, of course, but he doesn't seem to mind when Dr Blabs examines it.

I didn't post this thread earlier because his surgery site looked MUCH worse -- it was an angry red, really swollen, and weepy. And that had NOTHING to do with Dr Blabs -- it's just how it was considering how much tumor had to be removed. It looks fabulous now! It's all healthy tissue and the swelling has gone WAY down.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BullyLady » March 7th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Looks like he is a VERY good boy for all that. :)
And yes the wound is icky, but it looks very healthy all pinks and whites, no nasty reds or necrotic looking tissue. It helps, of course, that you clearly have one of the world's best vets. :mrgreen:
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Marinepits » March 7th, 2009, 7:25 pm

BullyLady wrote:It helps, of course, that you clearly have one of the world's best vets.

Yes, she needs a shrine dedicated to her awesomeness. And hot nekkid men to worship at her feet.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby blabsforbullies » March 7th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Marinepits wrote:
BullyLady wrote:It helps, of course, that you clearly have one of the world's best vets.

Yes, she needs a shrine dedicated to her awesomeness. And hot nekkid men to worship at her feet.

I'm liking that sound of that already.... :naughty:

Seriously, thanks for the kudos. :bounce: It would all be for nothing if I didn't have the best patient and client to help! :wink3: They deserve all the credit, because they are the ones that have to do the real work! :clap: It is a win/win situation when we can all work as a team! :groupHug:

GO INDA-MEISTER!!!!
:bowDown:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Jenn » March 7th, 2009, 8:33 pm

:nono: God why do I never listen to the warnings... I closed my eyes and pushed the down arrow until I seen bandage. Yikes, I'm glad it looks so much better, bless his heart.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby airwalk » March 7th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Wow that looks really good! I may cop that picture series for a reminder training for our Officers on how to properl apply a splint if I may.
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 7th, 2009, 9:36 pm

Jenn wrote::nono: God why do I never listen to the warnings... I closed my eyes and pushed the down arrow until I seen bandage. Yikes, I'm glad it looks so much better, bless his heart.

You & me both! It is like a train wreck. I HAVE to look.

It was nice seeing how it is done though. ANd looking at pics of Indy never hurts either. :)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby jnreem » March 8th, 2009, 12:16 am

Oh what a good boy, i love all his colorful bandages, hope he is feeling better
Jenn & Buddy
jnreem
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby CinderDee » March 8th, 2009, 12:48 am

Indy is such a good boy!

Thanks for posting the pics. It's really interesting to see how involved the bandaging is.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby hugapitbull » March 8th, 2009, 1:58 am

The wound looks great. You guys are doing a great job, and Indy is such a good boy while they are working on him. What a great dog!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby Pit♥bull » March 8th, 2009, 8:26 pm

Indy Says....."Crazy humans :crazy2:
if they would just leave me alone I could lick it well"
:|
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby ellie@ny » March 8th, 2009, 10:32 pm

Wow! He's so patient!
Good to hear he's doing better! :)
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby AllAmericanPUP » March 8th, 2009, 11:38 pm

such a good boy!!
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby TheRedQueen » March 9th, 2009, 12:06 am

Such a good, patient boy...more fries for that boy! :D
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Marinepits » March 21st, 2009, 10:38 am

Friday March 6

Friday March 20

Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to Canine Cancer