"Proud Flesh" -- Developing on Dog?

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby Marinepits » March 4th, 2009, 9:13 pm

http://www.netpets.org/horses/healthspa/flesh.html

Proud flesh is an excessive growth of granulation tissue that has the appearance of cauliflower. It usually develops over an open wound, and most often occurs in areas of excessive tension and motion. Proud flesh usually is seen in injuries of the distal limbs (below the knee or hock) due to the lack of underlying soft tissue structures, which allows for an excessive amount of tension in those areas. These distal areas mainly are comprised of bone, ligaments, and tendons, and lacks underlying muscle. This anatomy causes the skin surface to be tense, which increases the risk of proud flesh because of the difficulty for skin to grow back over a wound.

The best treatment of proud flesh is prevention, and the best prevention i performing a primary closure (suturing) of the wound immediately, or as soon as possible, after the wound occurs. Proud flesh can become a problem when primary closure is not an option, and the skin has to heal through second intention healing. Second intention healing is when the skin has to heal first by granulation tissue forming over the wound, then the skin grows over the granulation tissue. It is at this point you get proud flesh. Another preventative method is to limit the motion in the area of the wound as much as possible. This is generally done by bandaging, or placing the lower limb in a cast. By reducing the motion in the area, you speed the healing process allowing skin to grow over the granulation tissue, which greatly reduces the occurrence of proud flesh.....

Does anyone have experience with this? Has anyone ever seen this in a dog?

Indy's wound is healing well, but perhaps too well. His granulation tissue has started to overgrow a bit and the skin isn't catching up. At tomorrow's bandage change, Dr Blabs is going to take a closer look at the wound and get another opinion on the healing.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby CinderDee » March 4th, 2009, 9:26 pm

I've never heard of it and just googled images which were all of horses. I hope it goes well tomorrow!
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Marinepits » March 4th, 2009, 9:44 pm

Thanks, Dee! :)
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby CinderDee » March 5th, 2009, 1:06 am

YW, Jen. :)
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby Malli » March 5th, 2009, 4:33 am

*paws crossed*
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby hugapitbull » March 5th, 2009, 6:43 am

Fingers & paws crossed for the wound check. Indy, don't scare your mom >( , that's not nice.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby TheRedQueen » March 5th, 2009, 9:24 am

I've only heard of this with horses...but perhaps it just has a different name with different species?

Anyways...positive, healing thoughts headed Indy's way...and hugs to you. :hug3:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Jenn » March 5th, 2009, 10:47 am

Awwww, good thoughts for today :hug3:
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby call2arms » March 5th, 2009, 2:14 pm

The only thing I know about this is that the Furazone creme can help create proud flesh on horse leg wounds. :| Hopefully everything is normal, and the skin catches up... I mean from what I know, it's ugly but except for the aesthetic side, no big deal, unless he starts licking at it. In horses, it's a bigger deal because anything that has to do with legs going wrong is bad, harder to sell, etc.

The important point is that it's healing well, right?
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby Marinepits » March 5th, 2009, 8:51 pm

call2arms wrote:The important point is that it's healing well, right?

You are correct, yes! :wink:

The only thing we are worried about is the skin not covering the area -- if it doesn't, then Indy can't have radiation. :neutral:

However, we're all going to be cautiously optimistic at this point. Dr J and Dr Blabs both see strands of skin starting to grow across the wound from the edges, so that is a REALLY good sign. Fingers and paws crossed that the strands grow bigger and faster!
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby call2arms » March 5th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Oh, I understand your worry then!!

Let's hope for skin! Grow it Indy, grow it!
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby blabsforbullies » March 5th, 2009, 9:54 pm

Marinepits wrote:
The only thing we are worried about is the skin not covering the area -- if it doesn't, then Indy can't have radiation. :neutral:

Oh, he'll have skin and his radiation, my friend. :hug3: I will graft his butt skin :kissButt: to that paw if I have to! :lol3: As long as I am around, he will get whatever he needs!!! :beerChug: Luckily because of the slow growing nature of the cancer, we have some time to let nature take it's course first. :bananaDance:
We have a Mastiff... does that count??? :)
http://www.teamblabador.com

Akisa & Team Blabador
blabsforbullies
Giver of the Wubba

Postby Marinepits » March 5th, 2009, 10:05 pm

Thanks, boss. I needed that. :wink:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby hugapitbull » March 5th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Indy, buddy, you better get in high gear. I'd hate for Dr Blabs to graft your butt skin. >( Ouchie!
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Return to Canine Cancer