Bone shards

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby demolitionic » March 3rd, 2009, 4:26 pm

I usually only give Squish those gigundo beef shanks that are stuffed with jerky, because they're pretty indestructible. She just gnaws on them and no pieces ever break off, and she licks out all the jerky she can reach.

Someone gave her a different kind of bone, and I thought she had her beef shank.

Apparently not.

I saw that she was chewing on something, but didn't see it, so I obviously knew it was much smaller than the shank, and took it away from her. It's a piece of bone that looks like it has jerky in it, only she's obviously able to crunch this up.

This was yesterday.

A few times today, she's gotten up, hacked, and spit (vomited) some mucousy stuff with bone shards in it.

I'm freaking out.

She's behaving normally, drinking just fine, ate last night just fine, gums are normal color, mm are moist, so other than the hacking up the shards, she's not presenting anything abnormally.

Is this normal? Is she just gonna keep hacking up indigestible pieces? Will she pass them?

I'm worried because no one needs a massage therapist right now and I've been out of work for months and I am so broke it HURTS. Like, negative dollars.

Any ideas anyone? :sad2:
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » March 3rd, 2009, 4:31 pm

How big are the shards? Has she pooped yet today?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby demolitionic » March 3rd, 2009, 4:32 pm

Marinepits wrote:How big are the shards? Has she pooped yet today?

No longer than half an inch long. Yes, she's pooped today but someone walked her for me when she did it - I had a test this morning, so by the time she was ready for a bowel movement, I wasn't home.

No reported problems though.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » March 3rd, 2009, 4:36 pm

You can give her some PLAIN mashed potatoes or some plain white bread -- that will "cushion" the shards in her system by binding to them like glue and she should be able to pass them easier.

If you see any signs of discomfort from her (roaching/arching her back, trying to either poop or vomit but she can't produce anything, whining, running a temp, looking at her sides or butt a lot, etc) get her to the vet immediately. She could either be blocked or have another intestinal issue going on.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby demolitionic » March 3rd, 2009, 4:37 pm

Marinepits wrote:You can give her some PLAIN mashed potatoes or some plain white bread -- that will "cushion" the shards in her system by binding to them like glue and she should be able to pass them easier.

If you see any signs of discomfort from her (roaching/arching her back, trying to either poop or vomit but she can't produce anything, whining, running a temp, looking at her sides or butt a lot, etc) get her to the vet immediately. She could either be blocked or have another intestinal issue going on.

No wheat bread?
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » March 3rd, 2009, 4:39 pm

White bread is better because it makes a lovely gross paste when wet, but if all you have is wheat bread, you can use that.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby demolitionic » March 3rd, 2009, 4:41 pm

Screw it. We'll go buy white bread.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 3rd, 2009, 5:24 pm

I've also heard that cotton balls (100% cotton) soaked in milk will help wrap around sharp pieces as well. Poor Squish!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby mnp13 » March 3rd, 2009, 5:29 pm

pitbullmamaliz wrote:I've also heard that cotton balls (100% cotton) soaked in milk will help wrap around sharp pieces as well. Poor Squish!

That's what I was just going to recommend
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Marinepits » March 3rd, 2009, 5:46 pm

Except that cotton is not digestible and if it wraps up into a ball in her digestive system, she'll have an even more difficult time passing the shards AND the cotton balls, if she can at all. The potato and the bread is digestible and will break down in the unlikely event it gets stuck.

Ask any vet tech how many times they've seen surgery for impacted towels, socks, and other articles of cotton clothing. :wink:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby demolitionic » March 3rd, 2009, 5:48 pm

I told her we were going to the store and as soon as I picked up her leash she butt tucked and zoomied to the door and happy danced and play bowed.

She had a blast in the car as always, waited while I ran in and grabbed white bread, and danced when I got back in the car.

She partied all the way up to the house, where she stopped and had a huge bowel movement right before we got up to the porch, came back in, happy danced and play bowed some more.

Did all the commands she knows for some bread, snarfled it down happily, and is curled up snoring away in my bed.

So she's ACTING completely normally and doesn't appear to be in any sort of discomfort :?

God willing!!
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby BullyLady » March 3rd, 2009, 10:16 pm

demolitionic wrote:God willing!!

Amen! I hope she passes everything okay.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby amazincc » March 3rd, 2009, 10:17 pm

Me too... damn dogs. :nono: :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby demolitionic » March 3rd, 2009, 10:22 pm

Still acting happy go lucky.

Eating 1/2 portion tonight.

Coughed up another couple of shards.

Still same behavior, drinking plenty. :|
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » March 3rd, 2009, 10:36 pm

Fingers and paws crossed for Miss Squish...hope the worst is past... :sad2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Malli » March 4th, 2009, 5:10 am

are they sharp ended shards?

Its ocurred to me that she could have an esophageal foreign body, too, especially if she's been coughing them up...
Actually, feeding her as much as she wants would be better(of kibble type food anyway), think of Jen's reference to wrapping the sharp bits with soft stuff ;)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby demolitionic » March 4th, 2009, 12:13 pm

Hasn't coughed anything up since last night

Had more bread last night

Activity level and drinking level still the same
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby Marinepits » March 4th, 2009, 12:23 pm

Fingers crossed! Has she poo'd yet?
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby demolitionic » March 4th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Marinepits wrote:Fingers crossed! Has she poo'd yet?

Not this morning, but that's typical.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Return to Nutrition & Health