Wow! That's all I can say!

Weight pull, Protection, Agility, Flyball... you name it!

Postby katiek0417 » March 1st, 2009, 7:18 pm

These 2 videos are videos of a dog named Jackson (owned by Donna Matey)...Donna has trained and titled him to a MR3, FR3, PSA1...and she's now training him for Schutzhund...and he's only 5 years old.

Greg has had the pleasure of working this dog, and he said that he is one of the most impressive dogs out there today...anyway, these vids were passed along to me, and I wanted to share them with all of you:

http://leerburg.com/playem.htm?name=flv ... guard1.flv

http://leerburg.com/playem.htm?name=flv/Jackson2.flv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFcgcBH2iDc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtjXaeE3gXU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0sSMSOs8Tw
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby pitbullmamaliz » March 1st, 2009, 7:54 pm

He was funny guarding Santa in the first one. :giggle:
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby Mickle » March 1st, 2009, 10:41 pm

Those were fun to watch! Mondio looks like fun!
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » March 1st, 2009, 10:56 pm

Mickle wrote:Those were fun to watch! Mondio looks like fun!

I've looked into both MR and FR for cross-training...and I really like the idea of doing Mondio...

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Mickle » March 2nd, 2009, 12:41 am

Im going to try my hand at PSA but I think mondio looks like its a lot more fun than French Ring!
Liisa
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby Malli » March 2nd, 2009, 4:51 am

I only got time to watch the first one, but I always remember when I see it, how crazy I think the object guard is. The level of training involved for the dog to do that, and the "concept" that the dog has to grasp.

Does training like this ever backfire? i.e. the dog utilizes this skill to hoard something that they don't want to give up? Or, is it sort of seperate in the dog's mind?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby katiek0417 » March 2nd, 2009, 6:37 pm

Malli wrote:I only got time to watch the first one, but I always remember when I see it, how crazy I think the object guard is. The level of training involved for the dog to do that, and the "concept" that the dog has to grasp.

Does training like this ever backfire? i.e. the dog utilizes this skill to hoard something that they don't want to give up? Or, is it sort of seperate in the dog's mind?

I think it depends...Greg has told me the story of someone who bought a trained dog (one that knew the object guard) and he only had the dog for a short time....and the dog was in the yard and had a stick...well, I guess in this dog's mind the entire yard was his...and the guy came in the yard and as soon as he left the porch, he was bit...

However, I can tell you that Cy will let me take things from him...granted he's not that good at the object guard, yet....but he doesn't go into a natural guard, even when he has important things like his kongs...even when we're training and he's on his object, I can walk up on him to get his leash untangled, and I reach right in, etc, and he's never once moved an inch towards me...

Even when Jerry had Ricardo imported, Ricardo was PH1 titled (where they have to do an object guard) - and Ricardo never came after Jerry for trying to take things....

I think part of it is how clear it is in the dog's head. I remember when we were training TJ, there was no consistency in the training - and every time I put him on an object, he turned it into an object guard - so the decoy would get near him, and he'd bite. With Cy, we're making it very clear, and we've done stuff with him where I send him to other objects (like a send away onto a table, for example) and he understands it's not the same command as the one I give for the object guard...

So...I guess my answer is that it has to be clear for the dog and there has to be a clear command that you give to tell the dog that it's to guard the object....

Mickle wrote:Im going to try my hand at PSA but I think mondio looks like its a lot more fun than French Ring!

Cy broke a tooth when a decoy esquived him...so, I'm rather hesitant to try anything with an esquive again - and I know it was probably just a fluke...but still. Trust me, I'm sticking with PSA...but I was thinking that I'd like to do some cross training with Nemo...and I was thinking MR and Sch were the ways to go...

And any questions you may have about PSA, just ask....if I don't know the answer, I'll ask Greg and Jerry (Jerry is the co-founder and judge, and Greg is a judge and decoy)....

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby Mickle » March 3rd, 2009, 1:09 am

Mickle wrote:Im going to try my hand at PSA but I think mondio looks like its a lot more fun than French Ring!

Cy broke a tooth when a decoy esquived him...so, I'm rather hesitant to try anything with an esquive again - and I know it was probably just a fluke...but still. Trust me, I'm sticking with PSA...but I was thinking that I'd like to do some cross training with Nemo...and I was thinking MR and Sch were the ways to go...

And any questions you may have about PSA, just ask....if I don't know the answer, I'll ask Greg and Jerry (Jerry is the co-founder and judge, and Greg is a judge and decoy)....

Thanks I definatly wont hesitate. I definatly dont know as much about PSA, so any info would be helpful. If I was going to pick between FR and MR I think MR looks like the more fun way to go. Im really excited about PSA!
Liisa
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby BritneyP » March 4th, 2009, 12:38 am

Jackson is TRULY an impressive dog! As much as he is a testament to Donna's wonderful training and handling skills, I also think he is a fine example of the kind of dogs Loups Du Soleil (aka Mike Ellis) produces... can you tell I'm excited to go to his seminar?? :mrgreen: :wink:

Also, I'm all set w/ esquives. My focus for my dogs will be either PSA, Schutzhund or Mondio. :)
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Sports