For Those Who Have Fought...

Here is where we can discuss canine cancers and treatment options to create a support system for those dealing with the disease.

Postby hugapitbull » February 28th, 2009, 9:48 am

for those fighting today and for those who will fight in the future. This is from the tripawd forum that brings me strength each day. Although it was written in support of tripawds, it applies to anyone fighting the cancer battle.

wrigley said: I believe maybe that is why God gave us these special creatures- because he knew he could depend on us to make their final days here ones of pure joy and happiness.

Hugapitbull said: This is such a beautiful thought. And taking it one step further. I believe we are given this journey because we are the strong ones, we have the ability to draw strength from others and keep our tripawds happy to the very end. What a special blessing, for them and for us.

I share in hopes it will bring a sense of peace to you, the special ones.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Postby iluvk9 » February 28th, 2009, 11:00 am

Thank you for that post. After 6 years have past since I lost Louie and Carlos Garcia to cancer, I take comfort in knowing I was there for them, as they always were for me.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby Patch O' Pits » February 28th, 2009, 12:15 pm

Hugs to all those fighting it and all who are staying by their side. Loving thoughts and prayers for all our babies that have gone to the Rainbow Bridge!

Thanks to those who helped us all along the way....
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby KJS » February 28th, 2009, 1:06 pm

wrigley said: I believe maybe that is why God gave us these special creatures- because he knew he could depend on us to make their final days here ones of pure joy and happiness.

In my case maybe not God as such but some higher movement pushed things around a little so that the dogs that needed me and I could meet up and I could be the one gifted with letting them have the life they deserve for as long as they can...and you know...its working! :mrgreen:

thanks for stopping by and giving us the chance to ponder upon these things
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby CinderDee » February 28th, 2009, 2:17 pm

Thank you for this beautiful post. I found a strength I didn't know I had when Kato was diagnosed. It also renewed my faith in the goodness of people at a very difficult time in my life. I honestly can look at our cancer journey as a gift of sorts.
I think I've done well by Kato - at least I hope so.
Dee
CinderDee
I'm The Bug Whisperer

Postby amazincc » February 28th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Nice sentiment... but I would've been totally okay with being ordinary, and "God" not depending on me so much. :neutral:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby airwalk » February 28th, 2009, 4:11 pm

amazincc wrote:Nice sentiment... but I would've been totally okay with being ordinary, and "God" not depending on me so much. :neutral:

but if not you....who? In my world (which I know is probably not normal) the average pet owner wouldn't be strong enough ...
airwalk
I live here

Postby SisMorphine » March 4th, 2009, 12:14 am

airwalk wrote:but if not you....who? In my world (which I know is probably not normal) the average pet owner wouldn't be strong enough ...

My question is: who says we're strong? I was a smurfing MESS while Wally was suffering and have been even more so since. If there is a so called "god" then the bastard has it out for me.

Living with a dog with cancer was torture. Having to put down my best friend because of it was unthinkable. I am not strong. I was not strong. I was not put on this earth to help. I was, and am, a useless pile of emotional mess. Period.

Sorry if this is a downer, but it's truly the way I feel. I've dealt with too much bullshit in my life to try to see the good side of cancer. Cancer has ravaged my family more times and in more ways than I can count. I miss all of my family members, both two and four legged, who were lost to cancer. And NEVER did I count it a blessing.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby amazincc » March 4th, 2009, 12:19 am

Took the words right out of my mouth. :(

It was hell watching Jessica and Mick die within two days of each other... and there was nothing "noble" about me feeling helpless, pissed off, and heartbroken.
I didn't ask for this job, and I didn't want it. Period.
Maybe that sounds selfish... but who in their right mind would be 'honored" to deal w/cancer and/or death??? Not me. Sorry. :cry:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby hugapitbull » March 4th, 2009, 7:03 am

Sis & Christine,
I can totally relate to what you feel. I, too, have lost family members to this monster disease. I didn't feel a bit blessed to go through that emotional roller coaster either. And no doubt, when it is time for Trouble to leave us, I won't feel blessed at that point either. But I am blessed that these family members and this special dog have been a part of my life.

Those of us who were following your stories here with Mick & Wally saw your courageous side, even when/if it wasn't apparent to you. You went that extra mile and fought a tough fight for the fur child you cared so deeply for. You both continue to have that raw nerve and pain exposed that only will begin to heal with time, maybe a very long period of time. Mick & Wally had very rich lives because you were there to share it with them.

Hugs to both of you.
Shanna & Spirit Trouble
We beat osteosarcoma - 27 months 20 days cancer free
'Spirit' Trouble departed for the Bridge 3/16/2011 a victim of aging
Visit - http://k9cancer.org

Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain--and most fools do. ~Dale Carnegie
hugapitbull
The Better Half

Return to Canine Cancer