Rescue for 11 week old aggression case (lab)?

Postby TheRedQueen » February 22nd, 2009, 10:39 pm

fenella wrote:
Erin won't let that happen. She's gonna whip that little beastie boy into shape ...

I hope so, too. He's still very young. I generally believe in giving a dog every reasonable chance. I also think there are some that are just unfortunately born into a situation, especially genetically, that they can't overcome.

Hey...you'll love this. I think they're bringing him to puppy class this week...so I can eval him during/after class. :smileUp: I know you'll love to hear that! :wave2:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby amazincc » February 22nd, 2009, 10:47 pm

I think he might be a little "overwhelmed" by the seven kids and the obviously unstructured environment... there are three sides to every story, you know?
Not that I condone his biting a kid in the face, but was it provoked in any way? :|

Erin - take pics of the little beast when you do the eval! :dance:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby BigDogBuford » February 22nd, 2009, 10:51 pm

I want video!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby TheRedQueen » February 24th, 2009, 1:09 am

He's here...and he's being pretty good so far. During the eval, he chewed up my hands pretty good...(left red welts)...tugged my sleeves, hair, clicker, treat bag, etc. Got very pissed when I tried to keep him from biting me more, and humped my arm numerous times. :shock: A very confident little crap. :rolleyes2: But tugged like a fiend on the jute tug I brought along...LOVED the tugging.

He's here, and Score has been kicking his ass for the past hour. "NO! You cannot have that bone! NO! You cannot hump my head! NO! You cannot jump in my face!"

He does settle well, hasn't had an accident, and is doing well with the adult dogs and the cats.

:dance: Tra-la-la! Time to whip him into shape and find him a home! (and yes, they did pay his way...plus food, treats, chewies, toys, etc)
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » February 24th, 2009, 1:21 am

He sounds like a handful!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Now... pictures, woman!!! Pictures!!! :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby iluvk9 » February 24th, 2009, 7:58 am

Oh, Erin. Everyone needs a Labrador! Keep him!
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 24th, 2009, 8:47 am

He's only part lab...the other part is pit bull. :rolleyes2: So far he's being a good puppy...but then again, he has a lot more to keep himself occupied here. :D

I'm working on pics...but they're all flash ones so far, and most are too blurry to upload. Be patient! The sun will come out, we will get some outside pics! He's got a cute wrinkly face...and is a big boy! All chocolate/red except for a white spot on his chest.

TheRedQueen

Postby BigDogBuford » February 24th, 2009, 10:20 am

Can't wait to see!
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby amazincc » February 24th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Well, at LEAST tell us his name then. :rolleyes2: :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » February 24th, 2009, 2:46 pm

amazincc wrote:Well, at LEAST tell us his name then. :rolleyes2: :wink:

:oops: His name was Brodie...but he's now Gibbs. (named for Mark Harmon's character on NCIS) New life, new name (not like he knew the old one anyway)

TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » February 24th, 2009, 2:54 pm

I LIKE!!! :D
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby amazincc » February 26th, 2009, 5:47 pm

So - how is the little heathen doing? :wink:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Hundilein » February 26th, 2009, 6:05 pm

A lab/pit mix? Dude, just train him for flyball like you did Score, and you'll have people coming out of the woodwork to take a sub-four dog! :D Seriously though, I hope you can help him.
Sarah and Renee - aka wild child
Hundilein
Loyally Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 27th, 2009, 9:45 am

lol...people were asking at the last tournament if I could clone Score...guess I can just tell them..."Yeah, I did...here it is" 8)

Actually, Gibbs is doing quite well, and would love a home that does a sport or job. He's a busy guy and loves to play with toys, people or dogs, but does settle nicely. He's very clean and quiet in his crate (nice...'cause those are my two hates of puppies).

We went to puppy class last Wed., and he was sitting and giving me eye contact for clicks/treats throughout the class...despite being a new place and having lots of distractions. Very, very nice boy. He likes to work for food. :D He did get in one scuffle with another pup...who knew that we'd have four tough male pups out of five puppies this week! He got a bit hot on the new 10 week old collie pup...but the collie was tough back. When I went to pick him up to pull him off the collie, he did redirect a bit back at me. :rolleyes2: Gibbs did play for a long time with the easy-going 8 mo golden...and played rather well with everyone until it got late and they were all a bit tired.

He's done well meeting people and dogs...no one can believe that he was trouble to anyone. ;) He's met numerous new adult dogs...and done well with everyone. I'm very pleased with him. He also is respectful of the cats.

He does get pissy if someone tells him off in a BIG way...like just now, Score told him repeatedly to cut it out...and he went back for me. Score gave him a BIG ROAR...and Gibbs talked smack back...but then Score just walked away (great training) and Gibbs gave some calming signals and went back to a toy.

So...he is a tough pup...but he's coming along with the clicker and learning manners and bite inhibition from the other dogs. (He's nipping/biting less hard than before) and his "Trade" if he's got something he shouldn't is really nice now. He just gives it right up for a treat or another toy.

TheRedQueen

Postby fenella » February 27th, 2009, 2:33 pm

He is A-Dorable! So cute!!!! I love his coloring. (Aren't you all jealous that I got to play with him???) :wink:
If Erin doesn't get pics, I will. He was such a good puppy during class. Bossy, yes. Brazen, yes. But cute, yes. Very interested in training, yes. Very quick to catch on, yes. He would be a great performance dog.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 27th, 2009, 3:29 pm

I've got a ton of pics...but for some reason Photobucket is not letting me upload from iphoto...and I'm not sure why.

TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » February 27th, 2009, 4:19 pm

I KNEW you could get him to shape up... :wink: :confetti: :clap:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Malli » February 27th, 2009, 4:20 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:lol...people were asking at the last tournament if I could clone Score...guess I can just tell them..."Yeah, I did...here it is" 8)

Actually, Gibbs is doing quite well, and would love a home that does a sport or job. He's a busy guy and loves to play with toys, people or dogs, but does settle nicely. He's very clean and quiet in his crate (nice...'cause those are my two hates of puppies).

We went to puppy class last Wed., and he was sitting and giving me eye contact for clicks/treats throughout the class...despite being a new place and having lots of distractions. Very, very nice boy. He likes to work for food. :D He did get in one scuffle with another pup...who knew that we'd have four tough male pups out of five puppies this week! He got a bit hot on the new 10 week old collie pup...but the collie was tough back. When I went to pick him up to pull him off the collie, he did redirect a bit back at me. :rolleyes2: Gibbs did play for a long time with the easy-going 8 mo golden...and played rather well with everyone until it got late and they were all a bit tired.

He's done well meeting people and dogs...no one can believe that he was trouble to anyone. ;) He's met numerous new adult dogs...and done well with everyone. I'm very pleased with him. He also is respectful of the cats.

He does get pissy if someone tells him off in a BIG way...like just now, Score told him repeatedly to cut it out...and he went back for me. Score gave him a BIG ROAR...and Gibbs talked smack back...but then Score just walked away (great training) and Gibbs gave some calming signals and went back to a toy.

So...he is a tough pup...but he's coming along with the clicker and learning manners and bite inhibition from the other dogs. (He's nipping/biting less hard than before) and his "Trade" if he's got something he shouldn't is really nice now. He just gives it right up for a treat or another toy.

:clap:
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 27th, 2009, 4:28 pm

Oh yeah, and he now willingly gives up objects (or drops them) at the cue "Trade"

:D

TheRedQueen

Postby Jenny » March 26th, 2009, 2:36 pm

that is wonderful! what a good little pup. Sounds like he has a wonderful chance at a good life. :)
"I went shopping for feminine protection. I decided on a .380 automatic."
- Karen Riply
Jenny
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Rescue