Which has the better ingredients?

Postby Jenn » February 24th, 2009, 11:38 pm

So of these two ingredient lists, which one would you choose/think is the one with the better ingredients? Both are dry dog food, and I'm considering changing, but really it's a toss up. I can get each very easily now, I'm just not sure..... Both are comparable in price as well, within $5

Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Chicken meal, turkey meal, lamb, potatoes, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), lamb meal, ocean fish meal, tomato pomace, natural flavor, choline chloride, sun cured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, dried enterococcus faecium, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid, cobalt proteinate, organic selenium, papaya, pineapple.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby amazincc » February 24th, 2009, 11:54 pm

I would pick #1... the first two ingredients don't have "meal" attached to them. :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Jenn » February 25th, 2009, 12:00 am

Which is where I sometimes get confused, but I believe the meal is actually supposed to be better than just chicken, etc. Something about the Cooking process, to where you actually get less meat in the dog food when meat vs meal... :|
Jenn
undecided

Postby BullyLady » February 25th, 2009, 12:04 am

Nothing at all wrong with meal, it's by-products that are the problem!

They both look pretty equal to me, pretty high quality foods with lots of meat and even the grains are high quality, not corn or anything like that.

So spill it, what foods are they??
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Jenn » February 25th, 2009, 12:08 am

The first one is Taste of the wild, the second is Canidae's (new as far as I know?) grain free formula... The vets office just started to carry the grain free, and TSC just started to carry Taste of the Wild, I'm considering switching them over to one of them, just not sure which one... Both seem to me like a good choice, but I don't know enough to trim it down to one or the other.
Jenn
undecided

Postby BullyLady » February 25th, 2009, 12:10 am

I would go with TOTW personally, I feed my cats their food, and if I ever had to go off raw for the dogs for any reason we would go back to TOTW dog kibble. :)
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby Marinepits » February 25th, 2009, 12:23 am

TOTW
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Tiger » February 25th, 2009, 12:25 am

If I read them correctly, #1 has more protein types in it. More types of protein in a kibble, barring allergies to any of those particular proteins, would be a plus in my book.

~Tiger
Doja; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD
Gracie; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD, UDX
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Come visit http://NTBBC.com - "Changing One Mind At A Time"
You are given but one life to live, use it wisely....
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby BigDogBuford » February 25th, 2009, 12:27 am

But em both and mix them together. :dance:
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby TinaMartin » February 25th, 2009, 9:56 am

Gator is raw fed but he does get TOTW for his treat toys. Never very much but it helps keep him occupied for a few min. with something different. It is literally the only dry food he can eat without a totally messed up system.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby mnp13 » February 25th, 2009, 10:12 am

I like the second.

It has four meat meals in the first ten ingredients and only one potato.

Meat meals are actually better than meats because ingredients are listed in the order of pre-cooking weight. More than half the weight of meat is water, so once you cook out all the water and make it dry the ingredient falls waaaaaaay down the list.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby Jenn » February 25th, 2009, 11:58 am

Honestly, I thought it was better as well, but didn't mention the names for that purpose... I really wasn't sure which had the better ingredient list, as I thought the Canidae formula appeared much better. They already eat Canidae, but when I seen the grain free it got me to thinking maybe it would be better for them. I haven't had any issues at all with the "ingredient switch" or anything else with the two dogs, they have been perfectly fine, even though I've read a few stories about stool, etc. :|
Jenn
undecided

Postby SisMorphine » February 25th, 2009, 12:03 pm

mnp13 wrote:I like the second.

It has four meat meals in the first ten ingredients and only one potato.

Meat meals are actually better than meats because ingredients are listed in the order of pre-cooking weight. More than half the weight of meat is water, so once you cook out all the water and make it dry the ingredient falls waaaaaaay down the list.

I agree with this.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby BritneyP » February 25th, 2009, 3:11 pm

3rd-ed. I do not like foods that don't have specified meat MEALS as the first couple ingredients. Also, TOTW is manufactured by Diamond, which is a negative for me.

edited to say I didn't realize that the second one was Canidae... while I like the ingredients better, Canidae is also manufactured by Diamond, so I vote no to both.
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby BullyLady » February 25th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Diamond has a bad rap from the recalls, but I've said it once and I'll say it a million more times: They got caught with their pants down, big time, and I highly doubt it's going to happen again. I think it's more than safe to buy Diamond products these days. I even believe that firmly enough to feed Diamond products to my own cats, knowing what happened in the past.
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby BritneyP » February 25th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Despite their reputation and the fact that their QC is probably top notch now, I still don't like the ingredients in TOTW compared to other grain-free foods. To me, it just doesn't even compare.
Cruiser v Kellhof, CGC, TDInc- GSD
Jack z Esagilu, Police K9- GSD
Pia z Westwood- GSD
Darca z Perstatskeho mlyna- GSD
Sadie v Foster- GSD
Nala, CGC- GSD
BritneyP
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby Mickle » February 25th, 2009, 7:29 pm

If I had to choose I would also pick #2. I dont like either food but the canidae reads better.
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby jefferyd2009 » February 27th, 2009, 11:18 am

If i HAD to choose between the two, i would go with Taste of the Wild. My wife and I like them very much! But i am not too sure about the Bison formula. Guess it depends on your dog, but my dogs stomachs seemed to not like it, or maybe it was the Lamb. But the Quail/Duck formula seemed to do much better.

If i am correct, i believe (meat) meal is bone and meat ground up, which bone is very good for the dogs, hense all the benifits of a BARF diet. If we are not feeding Raw, we def. would be feeding Innova Evo. That is what we fed before we went raw, and had GREAT RESULTS!
jefferyd2009
Just Whelped

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies