Murphy has demodex

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby fenella » February 22nd, 2009, 10:21 pm

Well, my little murph-man has demodex. I'm kinda mad at my vet (and have definitely decided to switch). I took him for his lepto booster and asked about the patches on his face. I was told that they were probably just scratches, but to keep an eye on it. The vet didn't want to do a scraping because Murphy is already afraid of the vet and has a tendency to be wiggly. He said that he "hesitated to do a scraping because of having the blade in close contact with his face." So, we left.
It continued to get worse, so I took him back yesterday. He again said that he didn't want to do the scraping, and suggested just doing a fungal culture first to check for ringworm. I insisted that we do the scraping, though, because I was there. We got the vet tech that is afraid of Murphy (last time, she insisted that he be muzzled, which is fine, but she is clearly uncomfortable with him). I offered to muzzle him for the scraping. In fact, I often muzzle each of my guys. I leave it on for about a minute, then give them peanut butter. I figure it is better for them to get used to it when they don't really need it. But, I digress.
So, the vet had me hold Murphy myself for the scraping because he does so well for me. I didn't really want to, but I thought it would be better for Murphy than having the tech that clearly didn't like him do it. It is demodex. He gave me OxyDex gel (benzoyl peroxide) and antibiotics for a secondary skin infection. Murphy was a champ through the whole process. Hopefully, his hair will grow back in soon. I actually think the outbreak could have been triggered by the period when he was on the meds and stopped eating.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » February 22nd, 2009, 10:33 pm

Poor guy... sending good thoughts for a speedy recovery. :hug3:

Your vet sounds... uhm... great. :rolleyes2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » February 22nd, 2009, 10:42 pm

You are finding a new vet, right? :rolleyes2:

Poor Murph...it's been a rough road lately. But judging by his performance on Friday, he's back on track now!
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 22nd, 2009, 10:44 pm

Poor kid!
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby madremissy » February 22nd, 2009, 11:13 pm

Good thoughts for Murphy to get better soon. :x at your vet.
madremissy
I have a basketball and I'm not afraid to use it.

Postby Malli » February 23rd, 2009, 5:30 am

well, stress can lower immunity, so its possible :| However, please consider that smaller patches of Demodex, while unsightly, are not necessarily unhealthy. That said....

I totally understand, its hard to know someone is working with your dog who doesn't like him or her.

Given my dog's strong personality and will, I would have some serious issues with someone working with him who was afraid of him.

Any vet should be willing to make a visit a positive experience. On regular vet visits with a healthy animal, a vet should, IMO, be dolling out treats. A vet clinic (a hospital is different, sick animals may not be able to eat or feel like meeting new people) should be a fun place for the dog to visit, where lots of attention is given and lots of rewards happen, a "well balanced" dog should leave thinking, "wow, I only had to do THAT to get a treat!?"

Maybe when you find a new vet, you can make a point of making a few "fun only" visits to boost Murphy's confidence and experience? :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby pitbullmamaliz » February 23rd, 2009, 8:26 am

My vet doesn't hand out treats (she's pretty business-like) but I adore her. She is very very friendly with Inara and pets her and talks to her as she works. And the vet techs LOVE LOVE LOVE her. I'll take her with me each month to go pick up her Sentinel and they always come out into the lobby to give her lovings.

You definitely need to be comfortable with your vet, and their staff.
"Remember - every time your dog gets somewhere on a tight leash *a fairy dies and it's all your fault.* Think of the fairies." http://www.positivepetzine.com"

http://www.pitbullzen.com
http://inaradog.wordpress.com
pitbullmamaliz
Working out in the buff causes chafing

Postby TinaMartin » February 23rd, 2009, 10:01 am

I agree that you should get another vet. I could not imagine my vet treating me like that.
Not only am I a member of the Michelle says my dog is fat club I'm the president!
I can Alpha Roll hair!
TinaMartin
The Hair Whisperer

Postby Jenn » February 23rd, 2009, 11:54 am

Quick healing thoughts for Murphy, hope it clears up soon!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Return to Nutrition & Health