How much do you spend on dog food per month?

Postby Magnolia618 » February 19th, 2009, 4:33 pm

Ooh... there is a Fiesta Mart near me. Sweeeet!
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby AllAmericanPUP » February 20th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Ketra wrote:Well, I had to get food from the feed store here.

He dropped his prices a little, lol. I was spending $37 on a 40lb bag of Diamond Naturals Beef and Rice. He charged me $35 for the Diamond Natural Beef and Rice, and he had a bag of Diamond Naturals extreme athlete chicken and rice that had been there for several months. Since he only had the one bag of Beef and Rice, I asked if he would price match the extreme athlete to the Beef and Rice. He did one better, lol. He charged me $30 for it, when he had price marked it $43.

So, I don't think it will be as bad as I was thinking, as long as I don't get anymore dogs, lmao.

Libby

geez i only pay $26 for a 40lb bag of Diamond
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby Tubular Toby » February 20th, 2009, 11:10 pm

I buy a bag about every month and a half or so. Nearly $60, but with my 20% employee discount, it's not too bad. I feed Wellness.
-Kristen
Owned by Totally Tubular Toby

Buy the ticket, take the ride

http://tubular-toby.blogspot.com/
Tubular Toby
Confident Young Bully

Postby Libby » February 21st, 2009, 1:45 pm

AllAmericanPUP wrote:
Ketra wrote:Well, I had to get food from the feed store here.

He dropped his prices a little, lol. I was spending $37 on a 40lb bag of Diamond Naturals Beef and Rice. He charged me $35 for the Diamond Natural Beef and Rice, and he had a bag of Diamond Naturals extreme athlete chicken and rice that had been there for several months. Since he only had the one bag of Beef and Rice, I asked if he would price match the extreme athlete to the Beef and Rice. He did one better, lol. He charged me $30 for it, when he had price marked it $43.

So, I don't think it will be as bad as I was thinking, as long as I don't get anymore dogs, lmao.

Libby

geez i only pay $26 for a 40lb bag of Diamond

Like I said--he reaaaaaallly jacks the prices up. I was spending $23 on a bag in Idaho.

Libby
Love me, Love my dogs.
Libby
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby CH_Venom » February 22nd, 2009, 9:46 pm

I think it is average $800 a month. I'm feeding a few other dogs right now too, just cheap stuff but it adds up. I also have a couple large dogs so that really adds to the bill, they eat raw and 2 combined is almost 5lbs a day. I've others on raw and it can get expensive, there are some "cost breaks" to take advantage of. What I raise myself only cost is feed but that is more in the winter as the vegetation/garden dies off, I get some free meat including very good much needed organ meat, anything I get myself there isn't much cost and finding roadkill or similar is a bonus. As for others who are on kibble I use a few different brands and rotate too, some of the food is quite costly, I do my best to save money.

ellie@ny wrote:
nicole wrote:wow...how are you raw feeders averaging $40 a month for multiple dogs?

The main meat I feed is chicken backs/it has the best meat and bone ratio/ which I get for 29 cents/LB.+I occasionally get other type of meats on sale.

I'm sure it works for yours but too boney for some as a staple.
CH_Venom
Just Whelped

Postby TheRedQueen » February 22nd, 2009, 10:24 pm

I could pay my mortgage with what some of you pay in dog food each month... :shock: anyone wanna adopt me? I can walk nicely on leash. :dance:
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby fenella » February 22nd, 2009, 10:31 pm

I feed Kirkland. It costs about $26 for a 40# bag, and I go through a little less than 2 bags per month. I also mix in some canned for variety. I feed Natural Balance rolls when I am training.
They will occasionally get other things when they are on sale (like beef heart), but that's not that often.
I have 2 cats on Kirkland, too, but they only go through a 20# bag a month, if that.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Previous

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies