Rescue for 11 week old aggression case (lab)?

Postby TheRedQueen » February 20th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Just got this email from a friend...

I have a client with an 11 week old labrador that has been shown
severe dominance and aggressive tendencies, and has been advised by
{trainer/evaluator} to get rid of the dog. The client has 7 children and the
dog has been biting them since day 1 - not play bites either. It also
goes after other dogs. {Trainer} thinks it could do fine in a home
without children if it had proper training. Does anyone know of anyone
I can have the owner contact? She needs to get the dog out of the home
ASAP as her children ages 5 x2 ,7,9,13,15 (missed on in there) are
having extreme difficulty with the fact the dog has to leave - even
though they have not been able to interact with the puppy normally since
they got it. Appreciate any potential contacts.
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby Pit♥bull » February 20th, 2009, 2:42 pm

Sounds like a job for SUPERWOMEN ... Hey Joyce :mrgreen:

At 11 weeks that kind of evaluation can be made??? :rolleyes2:
Pit♥bull
Supremely Bully

Postby TheRedQueen » February 20th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Pit$Bull wrote:Sounds like a job for SUPERWOMEN ... Hey Joyce :mrgreen:

At 11 weeks that kind of evaluation can be made??? :rolleyes2:

I've met at least one puppy that I'd term aggressive at a young age. A cocker pup that had already nailed the owner numerous times, in the face...drawing blood. Not puppy nips like everyone thinks.

You take some bad genetics, bad upbringing, you can have a ticking timebomb unless intervene early on. :|
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen

Postby mnp13 » February 20th, 2009, 2:45 pm

Sounds like a puppy that needs a serious manners lesson. would they take it back after the attitude adjustment?
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby TheRedQueen » February 20th, 2009, 2:46 pm

mnp13 wrote:Sounds like a puppy that needs a serious manners lesson. would they take it back after the attitude adjustment?

I don't know.

I'll be seeing my friend tonight...I'll find out more then.

TheRedQueen

Postby Malli » February 20th, 2009, 3:20 pm

He's young enough that there might be some hope :|
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 20th, 2009, 3:45 pm

Malli wrote:He's young enough that there might be some hope :|

I completely agree...it's just the fact that he can't stay there anymore combined with trying to find anyone willing to take on another project right now.

TheRedQueen

Postby iluvk9 » February 20th, 2009, 4:32 pm

Pit$Bull wrote:Sounds like a job for SUPERWOMEN ... Hey Joyce :mrgreen:

:rolleyes2: Please. I retired my catcher's mask and heavy duty work gloves.
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 22nd, 2009, 7:29 pm

Update...

sucker that I am, I'm going to do an eval on this pup...and possibly take it for foster until a home is found...waiting for the owners to call me back. They're desperate for help. :|

TheRedQueen

Postby airwalk » February 22nd, 2009, 7:31 pm

We also have seen a couple of pups that at 8-11 weeks showed sufficient levels of aggression that we did not place them.
airwalk
I live here

Postby amazincc » February 22nd, 2009, 7:31 pm

I was JUST going to ask for an update... :)

YAY, Erin!!! :clap: :hug3:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » February 22nd, 2009, 8:11 pm

Ah...just got more details. Mom was a pit, dad was a lab...mom was 20 months old, and was unable to be viewed by the buyers because "she is too aggressive". Lovely.

We're going to be calling her tonight and seeing what we can do.

TheRedQueen

Postby amazincc » February 22nd, 2009, 8:19 pm

TheRedQueen wrote:Ah...just got more details. Mom was a pit, dad was a lab...mom was 20 months old, and was unable to be viewed by the buyers because "she is too aggressive". Lovely.

Ugh... and they bought the puppy anyway?
You would think that is a HUGE red flag if you have seven kids at home. :neutral:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » February 22nd, 2009, 8:57 pm

amazincc wrote:
TheRedQueen wrote:Ah...just got more details. Mom was a pit, dad was a lab...mom was 20 months old, and was unable to be viewed by the buyers because "she is too aggressive". Lovely.

Ugh... and they bought the puppy anyway?
You would think that is a HUGE red flag if you have seven kids at home. :neutral:

Yup, and no puppy temperament testing (didn't know it was possible)...bought from a "Young unexperienced individual for very little money."

TheRedQueen

Postby Jenn » February 22nd, 2009, 10:09 pm

Hopefully he just needs to learn some manners, good luck!!
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure....
Jenn
undecided

Postby TheRedQueen » February 22nd, 2009, 10:17 pm

Sounds like I have a puppy coming soon.

*sigh*

Anyone want a lab/pit mix? :neutral:

TheRedQueen

Postby fenella » February 22nd, 2009, 10:25 pm

Did you see the puppy? When do you think you'll get him? Will they give you permission to do whatever you need to do (if eventually that means euth) if it comes to it?
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby amazincc » February 22nd, 2009, 10:29 pm

fenella wrote: Will they give you permission to do whatever you need to do (if eventually that means euth) if it comes to it?

:shock:
Erin won't let that happen. She's gonna whip that little beastie boy into shape ... :)
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby TheRedQueen » February 22nd, 2009, 10:35 pm

amazincc wrote:
fenella wrote: Will they give you permission to do whatever you need to do (if eventually that means euth) if it comes to it?

:shock:
Erin won't let that happen. She's gonna whip that little beastie boy into shape ... :)

John's been talking to the owner for about half an hour now...they haven't made it to actually setting up an appt. time yet. She apparently talks as much as he does. :rolleyes2:

I should be meeting the pup this week, and most likely be bringing him home, from the sound of it.

TheRedQueen

Postby fenella » February 22nd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Erin won't let that happen. She's gonna whip that little beastie boy into shape ...

I hope so, too. He's still very young. I generally believe in giving a dog every reasonable chance. I also think there are some that are just unfortunately born into a situation, especially genetically, that they can't overcome.
fenella
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Next

Return to Rescue