Tess the border bullie

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 11th, 2006, 12:10 pm

I think that we made a mistake in what breed Tess is. I think she is a border collie in a pitbull body. For the last hour, she has put the ball on the couch next to me, backed up, and crouched, eyes boring holes into my head, until I throw it again. If I reach for the ball, she crouches even more, trembling, waiting for me to throw it.

Maybe I need to take her herding?
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Hoyden » April 11th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Petey is like that too. You can't even say ball in my house or spell it or he wil find one, drop it on your lap and STARE at you until you throw it for him.
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men ~ General George S. Patton, Jr.

She taking all the stars down from her sky to hang them up someplace new, where there's better weather and the sky's a different blue. ~ Autumn Fields
Hoyden
Collar Queen

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 11th, 2006, 12:59 pm

dogcrazyjen wrote:I think that we made a mistake in what breed Tess is. I think she is a border collie in a pitbull body. For the last hour, she has put the ball on the couch next to me, backed up, and crouched, eyes boring holes into my head, until I throw it again. If I reach for the ball, she crouches even more, trembling, waiting for me to throw it.

Maybe I need to take her herding?

Skip the herding and try flyball ... that sounds more like her thing

:D
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby Purple » April 11th, 2006, 10:11 pm

Hopscotch is the exact same way. She shakes like a leaf in the wind when you have a ball in your hand.
We would love to try flyball it anyone in the area offers a class!
Purple
I live here

Postby Patch O' Pits » April 12th, 2006, 9:39 am

Purple wrote:Hopscotch is the exact same way. She shakes like a leaf in the wind when you have a ball in your hand.
We would love to try flyball it anyone in the area offers a class!

here is what I found:
http://www.google.com/search?q=flyball+ ... cape:en-US
Patch O' Pits Pursuit-O-Perfection

Run Hard at the Rainbow Bridge My Angel Sock-M! I Love You Baby Girl! Now that your Mom Starlit is up there too, please help her learn the ropes, love and keep her company until I can see you both again. Starlit I love you!
http://i14.tinypic.com/2a8q345.jpg
Patch O' Pits
Welcome Wagger

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 12th, 2006, 10:15 am

Flyball rocks!

I have Jumpin' Jack Flash, who has his FDCH-Gold, and Tallulah who earned her FD her first tourney (and hopefully will be getting her FDX next weekend. She needs only about 25 points.) Tess knows the box, and is working on staying in the line of jumps. Oh, then the year of training to keep her attention!

I was joking on the herding-I tried it with Tallulah, (which was freaking hilarious)-the trainer said in a dead pan voice"well-she's interested" after she latched on to a sheep, bouncing along attached like a stubby tick, and then fell off with a mouthful of wool! She actually was circling them the first try, but then realized that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line and that was all she wrote.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Pitcrew » April 16th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Hey Jen...

I have been looking for some people with bullies to do a flyball demo at the Bull-ympics! Do you think you could contact some people who are doing it (I dont know any) and see if we can pull a couple of teams together? That would be great!

They dont all have to be bullies...
"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be;
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be;
But, Performance indicates what the animal actually is."
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 16th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Well that's good cause mine are the only one's on the team! Tallulah is one of only 15 bull terriers who have ever played.

I will ask the team, I was thinking of that. I also have a friend who has a bull terrier who knows how to play the game but doesn't compete, so maybe he can join too.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Pitcrew » April 18th, 2006, 10:12 am

That would be great! Let me know what they say so we can put you on the schedule! Sat. or Sunday.
Maybe even have someone domo how to teach it, for a couple of hours, so people could try it with their dogs.
Let me know...
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 18th, 2006, 11:56 am

I would be more than happy to teach it for a few hours, as long as i don't miss out on anything! Usually I do a demo with my dogs, then run other people over the equiptment for 5-10 minutes each. The equiptment is very safe, jumps very low, and there is little if any danger of a dog injuring itself in the beginner stages. It is once the dog knows the sport and builds up speed and you add more dogs is when it gets tricky.

I am also working on freestyle routines with the girls.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Pitcrew » April 18th, 2006, 3:29 pm

Excellent!
Then I assume you have a flyball box too? Is it gonna be just you? or your team too?

We will be sure to schedule it so you dont miss anything that wont go on all day.

Would you be able to do any freestyle demos? I have been looking for someone who is doing that. I have dabbled in it but donnt necessarily think I will have a routine ready by Sept. ... we'll see. You doing heelwork to music or the open type of routine? Different routine with each, or one routine with 2 dogs? (yes, I know that would be tricky :D )
I have seen a fair amount of freestyle in competition for never having competed... b.ut never seen a bully breed routine. I cant wait to see what you come up with.
Do you know anyone else doing it? Love to have a few examples for a demo.
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby dogcrazyjen » April 18th, 2006, 3:51 pm

I do not know anyone else with a bull breed doing freestyle. I have heard of a woman with a pit, but I don't know who she is.

I do have a flyball box and jumps of my own, but i am going to ask some team members if they will come. I am not sure if there will be a tourney that weekend or not. I can ask Dee Bramble if any of thier dogs are trained in it, I heard they are offering it up there. We will figure something out.

Seeing as my two girls almost killed each other, I think that we will stick with two different routines, unless I do maybe Bodies by Drowning Pool! But somethow I don't think that is what you had in mind! I do open freestyle, which is heelwork to music with tricks added in. Less rigid.

I may have a freestyle disc routine with Tess by then, but I am not promising anything. I will let you know as it gets closer.
dogcrazyjen
Devoutly Bully

Postby Pitcrew » April 18th, 2006, 9:49 pm

Dee has always offered flyball... but there has never been any real interest in the area. Could never get together a team. We always joked about an all bull team... back when she still had bull terriers. Her boston, one of her bulls, Jills staffie, and oe of my amstafs... she had a real cute name picked out too... but I cant remember now :| ... bet we would have shocked people. :D

Cool about your freestyle. Cant wait :clap: .
- author unknown
Pitcrew
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Return to Training & Behavior