Nibbling

This forum is all about training and behavior. Everything from potty training to working titles!

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 8:33 pm

I have a question I've always wondered but forgot to ask . . .

Why do dogs nibble on stuff with their front teeth, almost like they're grooming??

Both my dogs do this, and my male (who was a runt) in particular MUST have a blanket to 'nipper' when he's tired or frustrated.

Thoughts?? :|
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Purple » April 18th, 2006, 8:38 pm

Purple and Hopscotch do this...we call it flea nipping. :D
Purple
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 8:39 pm

lol . . .

We call it "nipper teeth."

I wonder what it is. Winston doesn't do it to people, he just does his blankets mostly. Sophie will do it to us now & then and it kills!! :o
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » April 18th, 2006, 8:45 pm

Winston's a blanket-biter?
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby Purple » April 18th, 2006, 8:47 pm

Purple will only do it to our polar fleece blankets, and she makes a squeaky noise with her teeth. My husband says she is brushing her teeth. He sings "brusha, brusha, brusha" when she does it...yep, my hubby is wierd.
Hopscotch does it to us and blankets.
Purple
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 8:47 pm

bigtime . . . he actually carries one around quite often, but don't tell anyone. :D

When he's tired or frustrated he lays down, drapes the blanket over his foot, and nibbles on it with his front teeth relentlessly. If he can't find one of his millions of baby blankets, he'll do it to any blanket on any piece of furniture he can find.

:|
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby Marinepits » April 18th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Purple wrote:Purple will only do it to our polar fleece blankets, and she makes a squeaky noise with her teeth. My husband says she is brushing her teeth. He sings "brusha, brusha, brusha" when she does it...yep, my hubby is wierd.

Your hubby must be a "Grease" fan, LOL.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Purple wrote:Purple will only do it to our polar fleece blankets, and she makes a squeaky noise with her teeth. My husband says she is brushing her teeth. He sings "brusha, brusha, brusha" when she does it...yep, my hubby is wierd.

Yes! I worry about the teeth!! Won't they wear improperly? His little dome bounces, too!! (You know---the pointed part on the top of his head. Actually, I don't think pits have that---hounds tend to).
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 18th, 2006, 9:03 pm

Marinepits wrote:Winston's a blanket-biter?

You are SOOO bad!! :backRoll: :backRoll:

Munkee nibbles the kitties. He's pretty OCD about it & does it to calm himself down when he is excited. Justice nibbles but not like Munkee does. He'll drive you nuts
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » April 18th, 2006, 9:05 pm

a-bull wrote:

Yes! I worry about the teeth!! Won't they wear improperly? His little dome bounces, too!! (You know---the pointed part on the top of his head. Actually, I don't think pits have that---hounds tend to).

Munkee has been doing it forever ( he is doing it now to my pillow) and his teeth aren't any more worn than they should be. He is 6. When I come ho,e from work after he says "hi" to me he runs to find either something to nibble or a plastic bottle to chew.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » April 18th, 2006, 9:22 pm

Maya nibbles my ears......she's very gentle.... lol...
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Marinepits » April 18th, 2006, 9:33 pm

We call it rat-biting. Both the boys like to run up behind us and get us on the back of the leg or right below the butt cheek. Hurts like a mofo. :D
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 10:52 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:
a-bull wrote:

Munkee has been doing it forever ( he is doing it now to my pillow) and his teeth aren't any more worn than they should be. He is 6. When I come ho,e from work after he says "hi" to me he runs to find either something to nibble or a plastic bottle to chew.

YES! Anytime anyone comes or goes from the house---even for a minute---he HAS to find something to greet you with . . . there have been times he'll drag an entire bed quilt behind him! :rolleyes2:
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 10:53 pm

Marinepits wrote:We call it rat-biting. Both the boys like to run up behind us and get us on the back of the leg or right below the butt cheek. Hurts like a mofo. :D

lol . . . . that's a little different . . . that would be your dog giving you a dog version of a reprimand. :)
DISCLAIMER:

a-bull
I live here

Return to Training & Behavior