Chimpanzee Shot and Killed After Attack

Postby Marinepits » February 16th, 2009, 7:32 pm

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/ci_11717191

Chimpanzee shot and killed after attacking woman in North Stamford
The Advocate Staff
Posted: 02/16/2009 06:09:04 PM EST

STAMFORD -- A woman whose 175-pound chimpanzee attacked her friend Monday afternoon tried to stop the attack by stabbing the primate with a butcher knife, police said.

As police arrived to clear the way for emergency medical workers to treat the seriously injured friend, the chimp, Travis, revived and opened the door of the police cruiser .

The officer inside fired several shots, killing the chimp.

Travis' owner, Sandra Herold, and two officers also were hurt, though the extent of their injuries wasn't clear.

Travis was known around Stamford for years because he rode around in trucks belonging to Herold's towing company, Desire Me Motors in Stamford.

The attack occurred at Herold's home on Rock Rimmon Road. The friend's name, age and hometown are not known.

Herold apparently called 911 when she went into the house to get the butcher knife, police at the scene said.

Travis, who was known for liking police officers, tried to open one door of the cruiser, smashing the side-view mirror. When he couldn't do that, he went around to the driver's-side door and opened that, police said. That is when the officer shot him several times.

"He had no choice but to pull his pistol and fire several rounds," Capt.Richard Conklin said of the officer. "The EMS personnel were reluctant to go in because there was an enraged chimpanzee on the loose." Many Stamford residents know Travis for a 2003 incident in which
the chimp s jumped out of a truck in which he was riding with Herold and her late husband, Jerome, tying up a downtown intersection for two hours.

The incident occurred after a young man threw something at the Herolds' truck that went through the window and struck Travis, startling him. Travis unbuckled his seat belt, opened the door and went after the man, but did not catch him.

Travis then played at the busy Tresser Boulevard intersection for about two hours, eluding repeated attempts to capture him. Police finally forced him back into the truck.

Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby LMM » February 16th, 2009, 7:50 pm

RIP Travis :(

Why the hell was he someone's pet any damn way?
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Marinepits » February 16th, 2009, 8:40 pm

EXACTLY.
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby DemoDick » February 16th, 2009, 9:00 pm

Right turn Cly...er, Travis.

Demo Dick
"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban PERMANENTLY as soon as I take office...I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."-Barack Obama
"When in doubt, whip it out."-Nuge
DemoDick
They Like to Fondle My Gun

Postby Malli » February 17th, 2009, 5:08 am

Right turn Cly...er, Travis
I don't get it :|

yes, why the hell was he someone's pet :| How unfortunate.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby Marinepits » February 17th, 2009, 7:02 am

Malli wrote:
Right turn Cly...er, Travis
I don't get it :|

Clint Eastwood's "Every Which Way But Loose" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMNvYhI4AzM

I can't find the "right turn" video, but it's funny as hell.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby KJS » February 17th, 2009, 11:44 am

Thats very sad....for Travis...
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby call2arms » February 17th, 2009, 11:54 am

Why the f*ck was this chimpanzee not running in a forest with other chimps? He'd probably still be alive. I hate people.
“Your birth is a mistake you'll spend your whole life trying to correct.” Chuck Palahniuk

I love pus but I hate people.

I can say words like undifferentiated gonads now!
call2arms
Boys Stink

Postby iluvk9 » February 20th, 2009, 10:06 am

So now we learn they slept together, drank wine, and took baths together. Lordie, that woman needs a REAL man, not one that hasn't evolved.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02192009/ne ... 155922.htm
iluvk9
I'm Cougarific!

Postby TheRedQueen » February 20th, 2009, 1:12 pm

I saw another article that said that the woman who was attacked lost her eyes and her nose in the attack. No, he was never violent... :nono: He's just a wild animal after all...
"I don't have any idea if my dogs respect me or not, but they're greedy and I have their stuff." -- Patty Ruzzo

"Dogs don't want to control people. They want to control their own lives." --John Bradshaw
TheRedQueen
I thought I lost my Wiener... but then I found him.

Postby BigDogBuford » February 20th, 2009, 1:21 pm

This story makes me wonder what happened to the older gentleman that was attacked when visiting an old pet chimp at a sanctuary a couple of years ago. He'd lost most of his buttocks, testicles, face and a hand, I think. Last I heard he was in a medically induced coma....haven't heard any other updates since then.
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby maberi » February 20th, 2009, 1:24 pm

I can't fathom why someone would want a wild animal for a pet. Those things are insanely strong
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby amazincc » February 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm

maberi wrote:I can't fathom why someone would want a wild animal for a pet. Those things are insanely strong

For the novelty of it? :|
And apparently she wanted a "boyfriend" who wouldn't talk back... :crazy2:
amazincc
Jessica & Mick

Postby Marinepits » February 20th, 2009, 1:52 pm

There are reports all over the local news saying that she admitted she gave the chimp Xanax right before the attack -- it was to "calm him down". But now she's denying it. :rolleyes2:
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby demolitionic » February 20th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Apparently Xanax = Monkey Meth, because Jesus.

No business being someone's pet. :crazy2:
Time to nut up or shut up.
demolitionic
Devoutly Bully

Postby BigDogBuford » February 20th, 2009, 2:23 pm

demolitionic wrote:Monkey Meth.

LMAO
~Jeanine

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
BigDogBuford
I love snipe hunts.

Postby Marinepits » March 17th, 2009, 5:35 pm

http://www.newstimes.com/ci_11926935?source=most_viewed

Update: Family of chimp attack victim seeks $50M in damages
By Michael P. Mayko
STAFF WRITER
Updated: 03/17/2009 02:04:04 PM EDT

BRIDGEPORT -- As Charla Nash lies heavily sedated in the Cleveland Clinic being treated for severe injuries sustained in a chimpanzee attack, her lawyers filed a $50 million lawsuit against the woman who owned the 200-pound chimp that mauled Nash's face and hands.

The lawsuit was filed Monday afternoon in Stamford Superior Court against Sandra Herold of Stamford, who owned the animal and kept it as a pet.

At this point only Herold has been named as a defendant in the suit brought by Charles Willinger Jr. and Matthew D. Newman, of Willinger, Willinger & Bucci, a Bridgeport lawfirm and William Monaco, a Long Island lawyer.

However, Willinger, during a press conference Tuesday afternoon at his Main Street office, said his firm is researching the possibility of adding additional defendants in the future.

While Willinger would not name those defendants, they could be the state and its Department of Environmental Protection, which allowed Herold to keep the chimp, named Travis, without applying for and receiving their permission as required by a law enacted in 2004. It could also name the city of Stamford, which failed to press action against Herold and the chimp following an earlier incident, and the veterinarian who prescribed Xanax, a mood-altering drug for the chimp.

On Monday, Willinger and Newman obtained a temporary restraining order in Stamford Superior Court which prevents Herold from transferring ownership of any assets she owns including Desire Me Motors, 15 St. Mary's Street, Stamford, a used car and towing business or belonging to the estate of her late husband, Jerome.

"We believe she owns four or five properties," Willinger said.

A hearing on Willinger's request on turning the temporary restraining order into a pre-judgement remedy is set for April 13 in Stamford Superior Court.

Meanwhile, Monaco said doctors have not yet decided on whether to perform a facial transplant or begin re-attaching body parts, including Nash's hands, that were ripped off in the attack.

"She is very heavily sedated but doctors are able to bring her in and out of consciousness as needed to perform tests and assessments," he said. Monaco said Nash has been able to respond to simple commands like moving her ankles.

Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby airwalk » March 17th, 2009, 5:39 pm

What is it about the human race that makes us want to completely destroy and crush someone else. $50M really! Apparently these women were friends and had been for some time. While I do not agree with keeping wild animals as pets, I really don't understand the need for the family to completely destroy her and crush her...do they think somehow this will be adequate punishment?
airwalk
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » March 17th, 2009, 5:51 pm

I can see their point. This ladie's face was destroyed, her hands are gone, she may be blind & is brain damaged. She is facing astronomical medical bills & care for the rest of her life. This monkey had already bitten other people & she had been warned to keep him secure. People had tried to get her to give him to a sanctuary & she refused. PLUS she may have drugged him prior to the attack. And it was not the first time he had escaped. So yeah, I say she owes BIG. Her negligence with her animal destroyed this woman's life, I have no sympathy for her.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » May 13th, 2009, 4:01 pm

http://www.newstimes.com/ci_12359335

Chimpanzee in Stamford attack had Xanax in system
By John Christoffersen
The Associated Press
Updated: 05/13/2009 01:05:00 PM EDT

NEW HAVEN -- A chimpanzee that mauled a Connecticut woman had the anti-anxiety drug Xanax in its system, toxicology test results show, but investigators haven't determined whether the drug played a role in the attack, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

Authorities are still weighing whether to file criminal charges against the chimpanzee's owner, Sandra Herold, said Stamford State's Attorney David Cohen.

The 200-pound chimp, named Travis, attacked Stamford resident Charla Nash on Feb. 16. She lost her hands, nose, lips and eyelids in the attack. Doctors at Ohio's Cleveland Clinic say she is blind and faces two years of surgical procedures.

Nash's family has sued Herold for $50 million. The suit alleges, among other things, that she had given Travis medication that further upset the animal.

Herold has made conflicting public statements about whether she gave Travis Xanax the day of the attack. Police say the drug was not prescribed for the animal.

Telephone messages left for attorneys representing Herold and Nash's family were not immediately returned.

Herold's attorneys have said there was no way to predict Travis would attack Nash.

On the day of the attack, Herold called Nash to her home to help lure the animal back into her house. Herold has speculated that the chimp was trying to protect her and attacked Nash because she had changed her hairstyle, was driving a different car and was holding a stuffed toy in front of her face to get Travis' attention.

The attack lasted about 12 minutes, and ended when police fatally shot Travis as he attempted to open a police cruiser's door.

Herold owned the 14-year-old chimp nearly all its life, dressed the animal and fed it human foods. When he was younger, Travis starred in TV commercials for Old Navy and Coca-Cola, made an appearance on the "Maury Povich Show" and took part in a television pilot.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Next

Return to All the news that's fit to print