which should i feed out of this list

Food, Fitness and how to keep them healthy.

Postby bullyboi » April 18th, 2006, 5:22 pm

Cali now needs to be put on a better food so can anyone tell me which is the best food to feed off this list. I know some of its crap but i will list it all. This is what my local petstore has.

1-Purina one
2-Authority
3-Natures recipe
4-great choice
5-pedigree
6-Purina beneful
7-Bill-jar
8-Nutro max
9-nutro natural choice
10-nurtro ulatra
11-science diet
12-euknauba
13- royal canin

Do you geed any of these and if not which would you feed. I wanted to feed Natures Variety but it was not there.
bullyboi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby ellie@ny » April 18th, 2006, 5:32 pm

Out of this list...none. But if I have to choose one it would be Eukanuba,I heard they have a natural dog food now.I'm not sure what's the name,cause I'm not using it,just heard of it. :|
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby a-bull » April 18th, 2006, 5:33 pm

I use Nature's Variety Vegetarian (the canned) for allergies---plus Merrick kibbles, which isn't on your list.

Given the list of foods, I think I'd go with the Nature's Variety or the Nutro.

You must shop at Petsmart???
DISCLAIMER:

My posts are my own opinions unless otherwise stated. They are not necessarily correct for all dogs or all owners.
a-bull
I live here

Postby bullyboi » April 18th, 2006, 5:36 pm

Yea petsmart lol.
bullyboi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby mnp13 » April 18th, 2006, 6:01 pm

I've had Ruby on 7 or 8 different foods over the last few years, the best one for her was Royal Canin Select Choice Lamb and Rice. No eye boogers, great coat, no dog breath, small volume poop that didn't smell horrible.

It's not the best food, but it's decent. It all depends on your dog.
Michelle

Inside me is a thin woman trying to get out. I usually shut the bitch up with a martini.
mnp13
Evil Overlord

Postby bullyboi » April 18th, 2006, 6:04 pm

Thanks, im guessing that wellness is better than all the foods i listed right? I just found a store near me that has wellness.

Number 4 with 1 3/4 stars would be Wellness. The biggest thing with this food that made it stand out is it is baked. It crumbles very easily, and is suppose to be easily digested. They were one of the first to come out with an alternative allergy formula with something other than lamb and rice.

This is waht PBF say about it.

Aarob
bullyboi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby bullyboi » April 18th, 2006, 6:05 pm

Does anyone know if wellness has a website, i couldnt find one.
bullyboi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Jesseca » April 18th, 2006, 6:08 pm

Jesseca
Devoutly Bully

Postby girlie » April 18th, 2006, 6:20 pm

All i use is canidae.
girlie
Devoutly Bully

Postby bullyboi » April 18th, 2006, 6:28 pm

thankyou :D
bullyboi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Maryellen » April 18th, 2006, 6:52 pm

most of those all suck, especially the pukaneuba... royal canin is good, so is wellness, canidae, natures variety, merrick, california natural, timberwolf.
Maryellen
I live here

Postby Purple » April 18th, 2006, 7:29 pm

Did you find a Pet Supply Plus up there? Nature's Variety and Merrick......my choices!
Purple
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » April 18th, 2006, 7:38 pm

The older version of Wellness is great food. I am not sure about the newer version.......all I know about it is that is is expensive.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby Marinepits » April 18th, 2006, 8:14 pm

cheekymunkee wrote:The older version of Wellness is great food. I am not sure about the newer version.......all I know about it is that is is expensive.

(And gives my dogs wicked gas) :D
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby bullyboi » April 18th, 2006, 8:16 pm

gas? damn she gets that right now from iams pouches, cheeke how much are we talking for a 30 pound bag? purple i found one but it is the same place i am going for the wellness and when i called they dont have NV, Okay thanks maryellen
bullyboi
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby cheekymunkee » April 18th, 2006, 8:24 pm

I used the fish & potato & the Super 5 Mix Chicken & paid around 25 dollars for a 18-20 pound bag.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby pLaurent » April 19th, 2006, 12:32 am

The older version of Wellness is great food. I am not sure about the newer version.......all I know about it is that is is expensive

I"ve been feeding Chloe Wellness for nearly 4 years and yes, the bag seems expensive initially. BUT she only needs 2 cups a day. The bag lasts for 2 months, so the cost is about 1.00$ per day.
pLaurent
Hyper Adolescent Bully

Postby turtle » April 19th, 2006, 12:38 am

Most of the Pet Supplies Plus carry Canidae, it's $31 for a 40 pound bag at my local Pet Supplies Plus. They also have Nature's Variety and Merrick.

I've not fed any of the foods on your list and the only one I have heard anything good about is the Royal Canin. Maybe you can get your store to order the Canidae or the Nature's Variety?

And I've heard that Wellness changed their formula and the new food is not as good...
-------------------------------------------------------

I may be slow but I get there - a turtle's motto
turtle
Loyally Bully

Postby katiek0417 » April 19th, 2006, 7:05 am

gf turtle wrote:
I've not fed any of the foods on your list and the only one I have heard anything good about is the Royal Canin. Maybe you can get your store to order the Canidae or the Nature's Variety?

I agree that Royal Canin is the best on that list....Try to get a food with as little grain as possible, it's simply filler (and typically leads to *softer* stools).

Nature's Variety is very good...they have the dehydrated raw, as well as the freeze-dried bio-coated dry kibble (Raw Instinct is what it's called). Rusty has AWFUL seasonal allergies (gets hives, eventually needs a cortisone shot, it's awful). I suspect he also has a grain allergy....he started to show the allergies, and when I switched him to the Raw Instinct, they actually started to clear up. They weren't gone, but he wasn't nearly as itchy. I only had him on it for a week (I don't have him here anymore), but I suspect that had I kept him on it, he would've been fine.

gf turtle wrote:
And I've heard that Wellness changed their formula and the new food is not as good...

I've heard that it's not as good, and inconsistent. The pet store where I get my food actually stopped carrying it (they'll still special order it). Some people do really great with the new formula, and see no inconsistency, but I think there are just as many that do see a difference.
"Rumor has it, compulsion is evil."

Katrina
Sacha CGC - Dumb Lab
Nisha CGC, PDC, PSA TC, PSA 1 - Crazy Malinois
Drusilla SLUT- Pet
Nemo - Dual-Purpose Narcotics
Cy TC, PSA 1, PSA 2, 2009 PSA Level 3 National Champion
Axo - Psycho Puppy
Rocky - RIP My Baby Boy
katiek0417
pointy ear hoarder

Postby SisMorphine » April 19th, 2006, 7:14 am

ellie@ny wrote:Out of this list...none.

Agreed
But if I have to choose one it would be Eukanuba,I heard they have a natural dog food now.I'm not sure what's the name,cause I'm not using it,just heard of it. :|

Not agreed. If you absolutely had no other choice I would go with Royal Canin. Eukanuba sucks, no matter how "natural" they attempt to get. In addition to using sub-par foods in their kibble, they also have sketchy research practices.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Next

Return to Nutrition & Health