How much do you spend on dog food per month?

Postby ellie@ny » February 13th, 2009, 9:25 am

I would say 30-40$ on meat/month,and the supplements.For 3 dogs.
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby nicole » February 13th, 2009, 9:37 am

wow...how are you raw feeders averaging $40 a month for multiple dogs?

I spend about $100-$125 on raw + extras for 2 dogs...then another $40 for kibble + extras for my foster.
nicole
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby SisMorphine » February 13th, 2009, 9:47 am

Are you doing pre-made, or maybe buying your meat from a supermarket?

Feeding cheaply is all about buying from distributors, local butchers, and stocking up when you find superior deals at the market.
"All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." -Anatole France
SisMorphine
They're like service dogs gone wrong.

Postby LMM » February 13th, 2009, 10:50 am

I belong to a raw co-op. We get great prices. This month I am more near $200 and it may stay closer to that from here on out because I incorporated some new items.
LMM
I'll Kick Your Ass

Postby Miakoda » February 13th, 2009, 12:48 pm

I am currently spending about $500 a month on dog food. And that number will rise a little bit as I am adding a Fila to the household next week.

That's just food alone. No treats.
Miakoda
Devoutly Bully

Postby Mickle » February 13th, 2009, 1:29 pm

About 250-300 a month. 6dogs and 2 cats raw
Liisa
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
Mickle
Loyally Bully

Postby KJS » February 13th, 2009, 1:55 pm

I would estimate (after conversion ) $115 a month for 7 dogs including treats but not additives and supplements
Dont breed or buy while shelter animals die!
KJS
Supremely Bully

Postby Malli » February 13th, 2009, 4:43 pm

Miakoda wrote:I am currently spending about $500 a month on dog food. And that number will rise a little bit as I am adding a Fila to the household next week.

That's just food alone. No treats.

pics of the Fila!! :) Please :) Are you getting a puppy? rescue? whats the story? start a new thread :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day, tomorrow doesn't look good either.
E-I-E-I-O!

Postby maberi » February 13th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Right now about $75-$90 for the 3 dogs
Look beyond what your own eyes see
maberi
I Save My Empty Calories For The Bottle

Postby cheekymunkee » February 14th, 2009, 4:06 am

I buy from grocery stores usually. Walmart for chicken parts ( although now that gas is cheaper I should drive over & get necks & backs from wholesale) and ethnic stores for innards & other meats. Usually pork & turkey I can find cheaper at ethnic stores.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby ellie@ny » February 14th, 2009, 8:56 am

nicole wrote:wow...how are you raw feeders averaging $40 a month for multiple dogs?

The main meat I feed is chicken backs/it has the best meat and bone ratio/ which I get for 29 cents/LB.+I occasionally get other type of meats on sale.
Ellie
----------------------------------------
"Winners aren't born...they're made.And they're made just like anything else...through hard work.That's the price we'll have to pay to achive that goal."
ellie@ny
Full of Bully

Postby Libby » February 14th, 2009, 2:14 pm

Ah, suck! I was going to go ahead and order Pinnacle from Petco....but of COURSE they wont deliver to a P.O. box, lol. And they don't give you the option of shipping it Fedex or UPS.

Looks like I'm going to be stuck with driving into Albuquerque to get dog food. I can probably go once every other month and just stock up, but I REALLY wanted to avoid that.

I feed partial RAW, and get all of my meat/bones from Walmart, Safeway, and Albertsons. Monthly, I generally only spend about $50, but I only feed RAW 1-3 times weekly.

OT, but MAN, have the prices for bones gone up for you guys? Last time I went in and got bones, I ended up spending about $17 on ten marrow bones. I had been getting them for like, $5 for a package of six. The butcher said it was because people are using them in soup now, so they ar charging more.

They used to even be labeled as 'dog bones' but now they are labeled as 'marrow bones', lol.

Libby
Love me, Love my dogs.
Libby
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Marinepits » February 14th, 2009, 3:48 pm

If you buy your dog food in bulk, see if the store will cut you a deal. That's what my store does for me -- they give me 10% off the whole order.

Also, see if your store will do something like "for every ten bags you buy, you get one bag free".
Never make someone a priority in your life when that someone treats you like an option.
Marinepits
Proud Infidel

Postby BullyLady » February 14th, 2009, 4:04 pm

I spend about $80 a month to feed two dogs. But keep in mind that one of my dogs is 170 lbs and eats a rather excessive amount of food.
"I'm not all bad but I'm a faithful sinner."
~Dave Matthews
Cathleen
Shelby - AB Mix 1 yr - CGC
BullyLady
Proud Uber Nerd

Postby AllAmericanPUP » February 14th, 2009, 5:50 pm

about $70 for 5 dogs
AllAmericanPUP
Eli's Mom

Postby Tiger » February 17th, 2009, 4:53 pm

Averaging about $130 per month. 4 dogs on raw, 3 dogs on kibble.

BUT - for the last few weeks they are all seven eating kibble that I got for $10 bucks a bag. 3 bags 40lbs each of decent 4 star kibble, (Strongpoint Show Coat), but out of date.... There is less than one bag left and the raw dogs will then return to raw once it is gone. 1 bag of 40lbs is lasting one week for the 7 dogs.

~Tiger
Doja; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD
Gracie; TT, CGC, CD, CDX, UD, UDX
Otis; CD, CDX
Domino; CD, CDX
Come visit http://NTBBC.com - "Changing One Mind At A Time"
You are given but one life to live, use it wisely....
Tiger
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Libby » February 18th, 2009, 9:43 pm

Well, I had to get food from the feed store here.

He dropped his prices a little, lol. I was spending $37 on a 40lb bag of Diamond Naturals Beef and Rice. He charged me $35 for the Diamond Natural Beef and Rice, and he had a bag of Diamond Naturals extreme athlete chicken and rice that had been there for several months. Since he only had the one bag of Beef and Rice, I asked if he would price match the extreme athlete to the Beef and Rice. He did one better, lol. He charged me $30 for it, when he had price marked it $43.

So, I don't think it will be as bad as I was thinking, as long as I don't get anymore dogs, lmao.

Libby
Love me, Love my dogs.
Libby
Snot Nose Bully Pup

Postby Magnolia618 » February 19th, 2009, 12:43 am

cheekymunkee wrote:I buy from grocery stores usually. Walmart for chicken parts ( although now that gas is cheaper I should drive over & get necks & backs from wholesale) and ethnic stores for innards & other meats. Usually pork & turkey I can find cheaper at ethnic stores.

I went to HEB today and I was like a kid in a candy shop in the meat department. Fresh beef and chicken feet, tongue, chicken and beef heart, kidneys, cheek meat, liver, cheap-ass beef, etc...

I'm stuck on rice and beans for the next few weeks, and the dogs are eating better than ever. :rolleyes2:

I probably don't spend more than $75 for two dogs and that is being very generous, plus I've been too lazy to look for good deals and Trey has a freakishly fast metabolism and eats like a horse.
“Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.â€
Magnolia618
I live here

Postby cheekymunkee » February 19th, 2009, 1:21 am

Chea try this place for innards & pork neck bones

http://www.fiestamart.com/

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

Postby cheekymunkee » February 19th, 2009, 1:26 am

And this places used to be MUCH cheaper than Whole Foods, there isnt one near me now so I cant be sure of that anymore.

http://www.sun-harvest.com/app/cda/cda. ... arvestHome

Debby
cheekymunkee
I Have Your Grass

PreviousNext

Return to Pet Food, Nutrition, Allergies